A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What fast meals do you ALWAYS have on hand?  (Read 5428 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ms Jameson
« on: November 30, 2008 06:26:59 PM »

I always have a can of artichokes, cheese and whole grain pasta.  With a few herbs I can throw a good pasta dish together.

I also always have rice, onions, eggs and frozen vegetables to make fried rice.

I also keep black beans and salsa to put on tortillas or rice.

These are our staples, but they are getting a little old.  I'd love to know what some of your standby meals are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sunray

Everyone's favorite generic superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008 06:10:06 AM »

When I used to live at home with my parents, my dad and I had what we called "the default setting." Whole wheat bread, sweet brown mustard and colby jack cheese = toasted cheese sandwich HEAVEN.  Optional caramelized onions for extra bad-breath-and-yum.

Now my dad's in Guatemala, working as a cook at a bar, and he's remaking the menu and putting our toasted cheese sandwich on there, called "The Default" Cheesy

He also used to keep pitted dates and almonds around for a snack, insert almond into date and pop into mouth, but thats not much of a meal :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Attached to Matt with E600.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008 01:15:11 PM »

I always keep stuff to make red rice around. Cans of vegan chili and fritos come in handy. Pinto beans, salsa and tvp crumples for nachos...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
jillvedge
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008 08:51:45 AM »

Fajitas!

They don't take long. We always always always have tortillas (its like panic mode when we're out at my house) and I use seitan (plain or stir fry works well) and one or two green or red peppers, one onion (long slices) and garlic. Sometimes if I have it, I throw in green onions too. I stir the garlic in olive oil on medium high heat, with coarse ground pepper, crushed red pepper and maybe sriracha sauce if I am feeling brave. Throw in your seitan, try to get it browned at least on one side. Throw your onions and red peppers until they are cooked through. I leave mine a little crunchy but thats my preference. Sometimes if I'm not lazy I will steam rice before hand then put lime and cilantro in it. All of this shouldn't take more than 20-25 minutes. Put it all in a tort and viola, delicious fajitas.

We usually keep our refrigerator pretty stocked (my boyfriend is also a cook at the local vegan restaurant) so we always have peppers, onions, garlic, etc.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshine_fix
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008 09:07:31 AM »

Black beans and rice: a classic! I honestly make it all the time and my boyfriend (a carnivore) loves it and thanks me every time I make it. To make it extra-special I will drain the beans and, before adding them to the pot, I will melt about a tablespoon of butter or earth balance and add one chopped shallot and one or two chopped cloves of garlic. I will let that cook a little while until it smells fabulous and add some vegetable broth (another thing I always have) and the beans. Then I stir it up and let it simmer while I cook my rice.

I also always have beer. Best thing to have around for cooking EVER. In the above recipe, you can add beer instead of the vegetable broth. I always also make Beer Bread, either Whole Wheat or white. Super easy, hearty and delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillvedge
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008 01:06:42 PM »

I'm going to take the risk of sounding like a vegan nazi, but be careful which beers you are drinking, as some are not vegan! There is more info at this website: http://www.barnivore.com

Sorry if any of you already knew this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirmarmelade
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008 08:43:27 AM »

The freezer part of my fridge is not very large, but I make sure I always have a pack of frozen spinach cubes and pastry dough squares. It makes lovely dinner pastries with added nuts, feta cheese, dried tomatoes, whatever I have lying around.

Tex Mex vegetarian taco filling is also awesome stuff. It's basically dried soy powder with Mexican spices, and when you add water it becomes minced meat-like, even my carnivorous friends love it. You can of course use it as taco filling, but I use it as an 'Oh my God I don't have time to cook'-recipe: put one can tomato cubes, half a can of corn, some couscous and the veg taco filling in a pan to heat, stir, eat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cowgirlz101
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008 05:09:12 PM »

We always have tortillas, cheese, salsa, onions. You can be really creative with a can of beans(any kinds~but use your own judgement there) and we make Quesadillas, or skip everything BUT the cheese and the tortillas and melt a little margerine/whatever, and lightly fry the first tortilla, I use white but wheat or any of the new flavors they have out. Like Jalapeno, or Tomato....Just sprinkle with cheese, and layer another tortilla and cheese ..etc...build. It's good.

We always have bread; and Peanut butter, tho not a meal a good snack, whether toasted or not.

Oh, and pasta, rice, lemon juice(he makes a healthy juice with the lemon juice)

And leftovers.... ;)you can make a variety of "fast meals" with leftovers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008 01:41:25 PM »

I always have chickpeas and breadcrumbs on hand to make falafel. And tahini to make a dressing!

...Pasta and plain tomato sauce to doctor up...

And I try to always have nutritional yeast around to make vegan mac and cheese. I've finally found a mixture that makes a passable cheese sauce...I had it on baked potatoes last week. Happiness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
cosmicicon
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008 03:04:09 PM »

I always have spaghetti with a sauce of garlic, onions, olive oil and crushed tomatoes

and we always have tvp to make meatballs

a really good quick meal is a block of tofu cut into flat rectangles dipped in oil and coated in a mixture of equal parts nutritional yeast, cornmeal, and flour (and spices) then baked for 30 minutes in a 375* oven. Presto, tofu mcnuggets. yum yum yummm

usually I throw a sandwich(or salad) together with whatever vegetable we have on hand
same goes for stir fry

homemade ramen with vegetables, chili oil, sesame oil, toasted nuts, tofu, seasonings, whatever

taco/burrito fill: just tvp or tofu fried with onions and garlic, chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, s&p, paprika, whatever else is warm and spicy. Warm up tortillas, spread with beans and/or rice, salsa, veggies, hot sauce, whatever.  soooo so good.

also, mashed potatoes with a big pile of assorted vegetables on top all covered in gravy with homemade biscuits.. yum.

and sometimes just plain old white rice with soy sauce and steamed carrots and broccoli.

all fast, all delicious
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men. W.W
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Time Lapse Photography Tips
How to Shoot at Night Without a Flash
Cropping in Camera
Understanding Composition and Framing
Understanding F-Stops in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...