A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drawing/painting - is it a talent you're born with, or can it be learned?  (Read 7058 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

megthered1
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010 07:40:23 PM »

I agree with some of the points, but I think you have to have it in your blood to be able to be really good at it. My mother could paint and draw, did lovely pictures and my younger brother is the same way. I can't draw or paint, but I can make lovely jewelry, knit,crochet, needlepoint, quilt, so I do have some talent. My talent just lies somewhere else. I think it's probably a gene, an artistic gene and I only got half of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geckochan
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010 09:24:56 AM »

Interesting question!

I do agree that people have particular areas of aptitude/skill sets/different kinds of intelligences. Even within people where they seem to exhibit natural artistic talent, this can come from different places - like one person may have a very non-linear mental process that makes them able to make creative connections, while another might be an accomplished, precise technical drawer. It certainly is amazing to see someone try something, only to take to it like a duck to water/like they've just found something that was part of them all along.

Does talent help? Sure. Totally. But I think a large part of that is that often the things that we are best at, and the things we enjoy most, are the same. Like our passions are given to us with the tools to realize them. Sometimes we have to be creative about how our particular skills and aptitudes plug into our passions and dreams, so that we're making the most of what we have rather than striving to fit into a mold that's not who we are.

But all that's talking about vocations, passions, careers. I had a prof in art school who said you needed two of three things to get somewhere in the arts - talent, perseverance, and luck. I think I agree. BUT! That's all talking about making a career from your art. That's a very different thing from just wanting to draw.

Can anyone draw? Can anyone, by learning and practice and waaay more practice, end up way better than they are right now? Of course! In my own field, I know plenty of artists who, if you looked at their work from five years ago, you would not have said "this person has natural talent!" or "this person could totally make a living from their work", and you would not believe the improvement they have made! I think the improvement you'll make in anything is equivalent to the time and passion you put into it. I took guitar for a while, and it's not a natural talent. But if I'd stuck with it, would I be pretty good now? Definitely. But that takes time and practice and commitment. And I realized I'd do better using that time to draw. That said, I still do other things that make me happy. Knitting, for example, is another thing that I can do, but am nothing special at. But that's cool, because it's just something I do to make me happy, while I put most of my time into my main passions. I'm still a lot better at it now than when I started though! ^_~

If you want to draw, start drawing! Carry a sketchbook around! Look at art. Look at the things you're drawing. And give yourself permission for things to not have to be perfect ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icryptic
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010 09:19:27 AM »

you may learn some technique, but real paintings come by born.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010 09:20:38 AM by icryptic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010 05:26:43 PM »

Some people have a natural gift, the rest of us have to work harder. (we all have to work at it)  A few years ago I drew crooked stick figures, I'm still not real good like my friend who can draw anything from her head in ten minutes flat, but with practice and meticulous labor I can do some decent work. 
A book that really helped is "drawing on the right side of the Brain"  It's a different way of teaching especially for people that aren't naturally talented about seeing how to draw something. 
If you want to do it, read about drawing, practice drawing, take a lesson, read a book, trace a picture to get the feel of scale or just doodle in the margins.  The point of any skill is to keep doing it and it gets better.  I heard somewhere that "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly."  meaning that we don't start out with skills, we build them.

good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010 10:49:01 PM »

I remember ages ago in Middle School art class we had to draw a picture of one of our classmates sitting in a chair. We spent the entire period on just that. At the end I had an absolutely *perfect* rendering of his left shoe (it was amazing I tell you... the detail was astounding). Needless to say the teacher failed me and I've had it stuck in my head that I can't draw ever since. I don't know WHY... that shoe really was amazing.

As people have said, I think skill and talent are pretty interchangeable. Some people are better than others naturally, but training will always help. It's more important how *you* perceive your work to be than what other people consider art. My shoe is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010 01:10:51 PM »

My shoe is amazing.

You rock this.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010 02:18:00 PM »

Drawing  doesn't come naturally to me, but I took a class in college and came out of it with a couple of nice pieces. (One of which was a drawing of an old boot.) Our textbook was Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Drawing used to be a frequently required skill for a young woman of any standing in the Victorian era.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010 07:29:28 PM »

I agree with some of the points, but I think you have to have it in your blood to be able to be really good at it. My mother could paint and draw, did lovely pictures and my younger brother is the same way. I can't draw or paint, but I can make lovely jewelry, knit,crochet, needlepoint, quilt, so I do have some talent. My talent just lies somewhere else. I think it's probably a gene, an artistic gene and I only got half of it.

I wouldn't say half. I mean in my family both myself and my mother do crafts and then we have my sister who can draw anything. I think you just inherited a different part of the artistic gene
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
Lain_knights
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010 11:24:13 AM »

Here's another book that may help you : it's called "The artist's way" from Julia Cameron. Really useful to stimulate creativity and to "try harder" even if the first drawings seem so awful (that's often my case : lot of crap and *poof* a good piece).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paperface
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011 05:30:19 AM »

I think a bit of both,  There is no-one in my family who paints, I've painted and drawn for as long as i can remember, the only thing that i can think of it that i must have gotten into it on my own and enjoyed it to the point where i wanted to get better.
There are some knitters in my family and musicians so there maybe a bit of an artistic gene going on...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Indie Comic Books
Todd McFarlane Interview
Who Is Your The Least Favorite Cartoon Animal
What Would Jack Kirby Say When You Will Get to Heaven
Who Is Your The Least Favorite Urban Legend
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...