A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,185
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boring IKEA drawers into zingy craft storage!  (Read 2445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pearlescent
« on: November 30, 2008 10:30:53 AM »

4am one morning I decided to smarten up my IKEA drawers which I had been given with a load of craft stuff in it from a lovely lady on Freecycle. I promptly went back to bed after finding out that the paper I had chosen to cover it in wasn't big enough and forgot all about it!

Three months later I remembered and set to work with my wallpaper stash which I had accumulated from the likes of Freecycle and 'Reduced Price' sales etc.

I discarded the Winnie the Pooh paper and the purple stripes and went for a lovely zingy green and blue look and just happened to have several rolls of green wall paper all of which matched so I chose the blue / green stripe for the front and the plain green for the body of the box.

The transfers you can see ware something I put on when I first got it to brighten it up but really, a flowers and hearts girl I am definitely now so...

I set too painting all the wood that was going to be exposed with white acrylic and then stuck the wallpaper on the other bits and trimmed it all down using a very sharp scalpel.

It still needs a couple of things doing to it, I want to cover the bottom of the drawers and the bottom of the box with felt so my pencils won't get damaged in the drawers and the box won't scratch anything I put it on should I decide to ever remove it from the top of the speaker in the front room Grin

Anyway... here's the photos:

... and no... the pencils and pens are never usually that tidy! Grin

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IKEA stuff as I can decorate it and make it my own rather than trying to find things to fit into my decorating schemes. Now I just need an trucks worth more storage like that and I might actually start to get organized!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethy_boo
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008 10:46:22 AM »

awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.
  - Christopher Morley

wists
ivers
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008 11:50:05 AM »

Oooh, that's lovely! You've inspired me to ponder interesting ways to decorate my own boring craft drawers  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

making the world a happier place, one toy at a time.
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008 09:16:40 AM »

Lovely job.  Now the box looks brand new.  I love the green and blues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008 10:27:48 AM »

Snazzy! I like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Pearlescent
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008 02:55:26 AM »

Thanks Cheesy

My OH says I keep wandering around our flat with bits of wallpaper in my hand with 'tht look in my eye' I think he thinks if he stands still too long I'm going to paper him over to make him match too Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Caricatures
How to Draw a Lily
How to Create a Realistic Eye Drawing
How to Do the Graffiti Letter K
How to Do the Graffiti Letter N
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...