A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Key Cozy Help  (Read 408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chelsea K
« on: November 28, 2008 07:45:43 PM »

OK so I found this key cozy on the knitting central and the pattern is this:

Materials:
Scrap of fingering-weight yarn.
US Size 1 dpns or a US size 1 40 circular needle if you prefer to work in the round using the magic loop method (recommended for this project).

Special stitches:
M1R: Insert left-hand needle-tip from back to front under stretch of yarn between stitches. Knit through the front of this loop.
M1L: Insert left-hand needle-tip from front to back under stretch of yarn between stitches. Knit through the back of the loop.

CO 10 sts. Join for working in the round.
Rounds 1-4: Knit. 10 sts total.
Round 5: *M1R, K5, rep from * to end. 12 sts total.
Round 6: *K6, M1L, rep from * to end. 14 sts total.
Round 7: *M1R, K7, M1L, rep from * to end. 18 sts total.

Round 8: Knit. 18 sts total.
Round 9: *SKP, K5, K2TOG, rep from * to end. 14 sts total.
Round 10: *K3, YO, K2TOG, K2, rep from * to end. 14 sts total.
Round 11: * SKP, K3, K2TOG, rep from * to end. 10 sts total.
Round 12: Insert key into cozy, long end first. With key in cozy, work as follows: *SKP, K1, K2TOG, rep from * to end. 6 sts total.
Break yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail. Weave tail through rem. sts. Pull tight and tie a knot. Weave in yarn ends.

First off I do not get the special stitches. Second, how do I get from 14 stitches to 18 stitches (round 6-7)when you only increase twice giving you 16? Third, how do you go from 14 stitches to 10 (round 10-11) when you only decrease twice??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008 09:46:00 PM »

The `special stitches' are increases and there's probably a typo, because you only inc 2 sts each on rounds 6 and 7. Since you need 18 sts to begin the decs, I'd just add them on row 8 - k8, m1, k8, m1. Orrrr..... just work with 16 sts and that will solve your problem on rows 10 and 11.

There are videos at knittinghelp.com that show how to do M1R/M1L.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
elijor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008 07:24:39 AM »

The pattern is correct. On round 7 you are adding 4 stitches - *M1R, K7, M1L, rep from * to end - you would repeat once so you'd have M1R, K7, M1L, M1R, K7, M1L. Each color is another added stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008 08:22:31 AM »

Oh duh, I missed that. And row 11 decs 4 sts too, to get to 14. I looked at that last night and thought I had the math right. It was obviously time for me to quit at that point...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Chelsea K
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008 11:21:24 AM »

is it possible just to increase and dcrease instead of doing the special stitches? that and im doing it will strait needles I'm pretty sure its possible but you cant join a peie of work in the round on 2 strait needles can you? 

Thank you guys so much, I even went to the grandmother and she didnt know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008 02:27:13 PM »

The `special stitches' are just regular increase stitches, but they're done between existing stitches. If you used another like kfb they won't be in the same place. That may not matter, but it might. There are videos for them at knittinghelp.com which will show you how to insert the needle. If this is supposed to be done in the round, you would have to add a stitch or 2 for seaming and would be increasing on the WS in purl as well as having to knit the WS rows in reverse to work it on straight needles.

Maybe you should try another pattern. And I have to ask... A key cozy? Does that keep them warm?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Chelsea K
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008 03:21:49 PM »

HAHA I would but this is the smallest pattern I could find. I never finish anything sadly. No they are not to keep them warm, they are atually pretty sweet. there like those colored key ring things. Yea and I looked and the special stitches are super easy so I'm good other than i dont have a circular needle...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Brunette Hair
How To Do A Reverse Side Braid Like Miley Cyrus
Curling Your Hair... With A Flat Iron?
Pink Loves Miley Cyrus New Do
The Best Hair Sprays for Hold
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...