A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lactose-Intolerance and cookies.  (Read 662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dirtythghts4
« on: November 27, 2008 03:46:53 PM »

Does anyone know of any good recipes for non-dairy containing cookies?
I need something delicious to make my boss (and co-workers) for Christmas, but he happens to be lactose-intolerant.

Suggestions are super. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
tinymandolin
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008 04:20:44 PM »

Most people who are lactose-intolerant can handle cookies & other baked goods because of the very low amount of dairy involved. Also, I am lactose but that doesn't stop me. Wink
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008 04:22:02 PM by tinymandolin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008 03:57:11 PM »

I am lactose but that doesn't stop me. Wink

I eat some things (especially baked goods) that contain dairy and I'm totally lactose intolerant.  The thing about lactose intolerance is that there is a certain amount that each person can tolerate, and this amount isn't constant.  So assuming that he's not literally allergic to dairy products, he can probably handle a cookie or two.  (As long as he doesn't dip it in a glass of milk!)

Perhaps you could just sub the milk for soy milk (or other dairy-free milk, or even Lactaid...but I don't usually drink animal milk, so I couldn't tell you how that tastes)...I use soy all the time with no detectable changes in taste or texture.  As for butter, you could use all sort of substitutes like fruit purees, shortening, etc. (but these DO change the taste and texture, or at least have the potential to do so.)

Whatever you do, happy baking!  Good luck!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008 03:58:01 PM by bunsenhoneydew13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008 07:29:28 PM »

coconut macaroons! they're easy and look impressive. there are ones that uses condensed milk (i just made some of those today) but there are also ones that don't. here's one that has no milk: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/toasty-coconut-macaroons-recipe/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
beki710

Partly confused all of the time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008 08:47:25 AM »

I'm lactose intolerant and although other people can handle some milk I would be careful becuase the tinyest amount sets me off with an allerigc reaction, and you wouldn't want that for your boss!
If I'm making cakes or cookies I just subsitute any butter or milk that is being used with soya butter or milk; keeping the amounts exactly the same. They work fine for me! If you are wanting to make chocolate ones, very dark chocolate often doesn't contain dairy (at least in the UK it doesn't). So all you need now is a normal cookie receipe!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008 02:33:53 PM »

I know eggs are considered dairy, but they don't present a problem for either of my friends who are lactose intolerant (I don't know if eggs have lactose?)...  As long as they're not a problem, though, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, and sugar cookies can all be made subbing margarine for the butter (or butter flavored Crisco--my new baking love!).  But, as other folks have mentioned, I don't know anyone whose lactose intolerance is disturbed by a few cookies. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
dirtythghts4
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008 06:36:56 PM »

Thanks guys, for all the suggestions!
I will definitely be looking into a few of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
gigiallin
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008 08:23:31 PM »

No, eggs don't have lactose. People can be allergic to eggs, but it's a totally different allergy than lactose intolerance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Frizz-Free Braid That’s Perfect for Summer
How to Fix a Smudged Nail
Should Guys Wax Their Body Hair?
Teeth Whitening Product Made Out Of Three Items
Ms. New York Senior America LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...