A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,472
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hearts and Apples Thanksgiving Dress  (Read 917 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

string theory
« on: November 26, 2008 02:32:25 PM »

I wanted to make a new dress for my little one for thanksgiving and this is what I came up with:

It is from simplicity pattern 3854 with some alterations. I lined the bodice since I was using stretch material (and I didn't want to do biased tape) plus no zipper.
I also made a jacket since it will be a little chilly:

This was from a modified version of Butterick pattern 5896. I made it and it was HUGE, so I had to size it down.
I would have a picture of her in it, but she has decided that she HATES it and won't let me put it on. I tried and she was screaming at the top of her lungs, "OFF! OFF!" so, I stopped. THEN, she saw it on the table, picked it up and threw it on the ground! Isn't she too young (18 months)  to have such strong opinions of fashion?
  Hopefully she will be in a better mood tomorrow and I will be able to get it on her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dakarimom5
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008 02:53:45 PM »

I love the outfit. And I feel your pain...my DD is 2 and if she doesn't like it she throws it away....while she screams EWWWWWWW!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008 04:37:09 PM »

Cute outfit. Love the fabric. I think self lining is easier than bias and looks better too.
I think it's more about mood than fashion. If someone else puts it on she'll want it. Trick is having another child the same size around...
I bought toys for my first bunny and she would put them in the litter box and relieve herself on them.   Shocked  Roll Eyes   Grin I didn't have as much invested in the toys as you do the clothes and child, tho.

Good luck tomorrow. I guess you could try "wear the dress or go naked"... That can back fire tho...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008 04:38:59 PM by sactownsue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008 05:53:17 PM »

man, you officially have me TERRIFIED. my DD is sixteen months and I don't know what I would do if she didn't want to wear something I made her. So far she seems to think everything is delightful, although i doubt she can tell the difference between home-made and store bought, although obviously knows when she is wearing 'new' clothes....
the only thing she really hates is the sleeper sac i made her, and that's kind of a given. THAT she screams NO! at and runs away from. She's pretty good though, once she's lost she tends to accept defeat, so maybe i shouldn't be too worried about the clothes thing....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
Munora
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008 06:05:47 PM »

I love the fabric. It looks like a comfy dress. I think the thing with your DD is she's a little girl. They are all around very opinionated. My 2 DD tries to tell everyone in the house what to do. If my 5 month old drools. She tells him bad boy baby and shakes her finger at him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
deeredone2
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008 06:53:10 PM »

I think it's a very cute dress.  Your DD will come around.  I agree having another kid around the same age and if they like it she'll definitely want it back.  Can't wait to see modeled pictures. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
string theory
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008 11:10:52 PM »

Thanks everyone! I hope to get some pictures of her in it tomorrow! I think that if I work her up to wearing it...  she won't have a problem with it... hopefully. I never know why she hates things that I make... It is not like she can really tell... I think that this dress is not something that a 18 month old would know that I made... she didn't see me make it. I am slightly positive that I will make her wear it tomorrow... and, if she refuses... she will still wear it because I made it for her... she has no choice (what a mean mom) Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jershyLA
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008 07:50:31 AM »

Grin i think the set is beautiful and i laugh so hard when i read your daughters actions. its a good thing, shows shes above average to make opions already. put the dress on a bear. make a big fuss on how cute it is and wait a couple of days. put dress on dd. make even bigger fuss Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MomOfBoys
Specializing in custom bags, purses and more.

Sewing is my sanity :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008 08:21:23 PM »

awww too funny .... I hope she wore it for you Smiley
great job ! !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

string theory
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008 11:40:14 AM »

I did get her to wear it without any trouble. She spontaneously changed her mind. She saw it hanging on my door and said "dress on" so I guess that she had time to come to terms with it. What a girl. She insisted on wearing it with her necklace, purse and baby too, so she was so womanly.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Keep Your Skin Looking Great
Beauty Products YouTuber Rosanna Regrets Buying
The Cynosure Vectus Hair Removal Laser Treatment
Our Picks for the Best Suncreen
6 Beauty Products That Last from Morning to Night
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...