A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: from splotchy 90's to IKEA goodness...my couch story.  (Read 4354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 26, 2008 11:17:22 AM »

So, last year I moved out of my parent's house and in to my first college apartment. For some reason, people think that being in college gives you license to have horrid furniture and live like a slob. I, however, had literally been dreaming of decorating my apartment and had been buying dishes and hoarding them under my bed for a year when it finally came time to move.

My roommate was supposed to bring a couch and flaked on that duty, leaving us having to share a chair whenever we wanted to watch tv! When a family friend offered to give me their old living room furniture, I jumped at the chance. The couch is obscenely comfortable and in good shape, but just didn't match my bright, pop-art living room in any way. For months, every time someone would come in the the apartment, I would say "this couch was free, don't judge me!" I tried covering it with blankets, hiding it in the corner, and blocking it from sight behind laps and other furniture...but one day I just couldn't take it any more! Using an old duvet cover from IKEA, I draped, nipped and tucked the fabric over the arms and bottom part of the couch. I handstitched the fabric directly on to the old fabric and staplegunned any parts that could be staplegunned. For the cushions, I pretty much just threw a sheet over them and tucked it in at the arms. It's a little but annoying since I'm constantly readjusting the sheet, but it's worth it to me! I think putting a little bit of quilt batting over the cushions may help this problem.

Anyway, the sheet cost $10 new, and the duvet was about the same. They were both a few years old and not really being used, so for all intensive purposes I'd consider this a free project. I like my living room much better now...but when I move, this couch is NOT going with me!  Tongue

and here is what it looked like before...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
fujiiro
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008 11:35:52 AM »

love the fabric you used! you did a great job with the tucking and sewing. I'll have to remember to do something like this with any free furniture i get when i move out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thepainfultruth
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008 11:52:55 AM »

i just inherited a couch with almost the exact same pattern. i wanted to cover it but haven't found the right fabric, so its covered by a bunch of blankets. i like what you have done with it. hopefully it will give me the boost to make a real cover for mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008 11:58:14 AM »

Ahahahaaaa!  I had a couch that was apolstered the way that one was originally!!  Such an awful pattern.  At least thats my opinion of it.  We were fortunate enough to get lots of $$ as wedding gifts so we got new furniture!  Anyway,  I totally LOVE the cover!  If I had seen this before we bought the new furniture, I likely would have taken inspiration from you and covered that hideous thing, instead of tossing it lol.
Well done.  Those colors Rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008 12:56:55 PM »

Well, it's a definite improvement.  It's bright and cheery.  Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
olive_juice
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008 01:31:07 PM »

Great job! I think the most important/hardest part about reupholstery is actually picking decent fabric, and yours is fabulous! I so think you should take it when you move, or give it to me! ;.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008 02:12:57 PM »

Great improvement!!

The first pattern definitely left something to be desired. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008 02:43:09 PM »

That is some awesome hand stitching. Love your fabric choice.

Don't forget you can get rid of or acquire items on freecycle.org. Keep it out of the landfill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008 03:51:08 PM »

Wow that is AWSOME!!! I received a couch and loveseat for free from my in-laws and had the same problem they didn't match my decor at all! But I found microsuede slipcovers for both for $10 on Craigslist !!!
I used safety clips around the bottom to keep them secured, I do have a problem with the having to fix and re-tuck the seat areas, someone told me that stuffing a piece of pvc pipe behind the cushions helps but I haven't tried it yet. But I don't mind re-tucking every once in awhile it's better than having mismatched furniture! My main problem now is that the couches have like 10 pillows instead of attached cushions so they are still the colors of the original sofas, I'm trying to save money to buy fabric to recover them.  Sorry I'm chatty LOL Again GREAT JOB! Love the fabrics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008 04:08:15 PM »

thanks for all the nice comments, everyone! It was a pretty easy project to do, so all you ugly couch havers, get at it!  Grin

When I move, I'm not going to throw it away. I live in a HUGE apartment complex that is mostly college kids, so I will put it on craigslist or put a flyer in the elevator or something. We also have an awesome recycle room where people leave and exchange furniture (I've gotten a lot of cool stuff there!) that I know someone will pick it up from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are Some Good Braid Styles For a Wedding?
How to Do a Braid Like Sienna Miller
How to Do Cornrows
How to Do a Braid Like Blake Lively
How to Avoid Common Braid Mistakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...