A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,909
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sock Pattern Q  (Read 599 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coreisten
« on: November 26, 2008 09:15:05 AM »

Hey all, I'm working on my first pair of socks and I'm stuck at the heel flap. The pattern says:

Now knit the heel flap:
Divide stitches for heel flap
Knit 16 stitches (to end of needle 1)
Set 32 stitches aside (on needles 2 and 3) for instep
Turn work. S1, and purl back 15 stitches (all stitches on needles 1 and 4)

So where I'm confused is that I cast on 64 stitches, so there are 16 stitches on each needle. If I'm purling back 15 (+1 that was slipped) that's only the stitches on needle 1 and not 4. I would need to purl 32 stitches to work all of the stitches on needles 1 & 4. So...what on earth do I do here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008 05:04:23 PM »

I'm assuming you have your work on 3 needles and are using the 4th for your actual knitting process, right? I'm not sure why they put that #4 needle in the instructions since that is the working needle, but anyway, the basic idea for the heel flap is that you work back and forth on half (or so) of the stitches until it is longer than the other half, then pick up stitches along that flap part to continue knitting the sock as a whole.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry about that needle 4 in the instructions just go on with your half of the stitches. Perhaps it was written for people who were working with 5 needles - four for the sock and 1 working needle?

Hope this helps. I do all my socks on circulars, saving myself this little confusion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008 05:31:30 PM »

No, that cannot be it. It says to knit 16 stitches (to end of needle 1), indicating that it is still 16 stitches per needle.

Looks like an error in the pattern to me, but I dunno.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coreisten
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008 06:22:39 PM »

Riki - My works on 4 needles and I'm using the 5th for knitting.

Miss Violaceous - I hate just assuming the pattern is wrong...but it does seem like a typo. For socks do you normally knit half the stitches for the heel flap? Or is it usually a quarter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008 06:47:12 PM »

It is usually 1/2. Have you searched for errata? Try googling. Last time I convinced myself there was an error in a pattern I was knitting, it was the first result when I googled "(pattern name) errata".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008 06:29:44 AM »

Maybe it's me, but I don't see the error.  [I knit lots and lots of socks].
The instructions are poorly written, however.

Try this instead.  Same result.

You cast on 64. 
 16  on needle #1
 32 on needle #2
 16 on needle #3

Work your rib and calf as normal.

For the HEEL:  Knit the 16 stitches on needle #3 [You are ready to knit the stitches on needle #1 again, but knit them directly onto needle #3 instead.

You now have 32 stitches on two needles. 

Heel Flap: Knit the flap on one of those needles having 32 stitches.  Turn and Purl row [slipping the first P stitch] and continue the stockinette [turn to Knit the next row, slipping the first stitch]
Flap should be 2 to 3 inches....next Knit row is when you turn heel.

Heel Turn:  Knit 18, sl1, K1, PSSO turn
                 sl 1, Purl 4, P2 together, turn
                 sl1, K5, sl1, K1, PSSO, turn

etc...working one more stitch each turn until 18 stitches left
End on K row.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
coreisten
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008 08:09:26 AM »

Ambimom- awesome. And you already answered my next question! I am finding that the instructions are poorly written. Like the next step says:

Row:1 S1, k1 across
Row 2: S1, p across

So the instructions for row 1 would have you believe that you are doing s1, k1 over and over until the end of the row. Whereas row 2 is s1 at the beginning and then purl the rest of the stitches. I have a feeling slipping every other stitch on row one would look quite funny!

I want to get the heel done today because I have to take this on a plane and I highly doubt I'll be able to find help up there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SophieAnn
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008 08:26:13 AM »

Sounds like an error or confusing instructions.  Yes, usually the heel flap is knit using half the stitches from the round.

For the pattern I use (knit socks from the Knitting For Dummies book), the heel flap works like this:

1st row (setting aside heel stitches):
Knit half the heel flap stitches (1/4 of the total in the round)
Turn your work
Slip 1, purl to the end of the needle (still 1/4 of total so far)
Continue purling onto the same needle for other half of heel flap stitches (1/2 of total stitches are now on one needle)

You will now work the heel flap (1/2 the total stitches) on this one needle

Heel flap:
Row A (right side):
(Slip 1, Knit 1)* Repeat * to end of row
Row B (wrong side):
Slip 1, Purl to end
Repeat row A & B to the prescribed # rows/length (my pattern does A and B 10 times each for a ladies' sock)

Apparently the slip 1, knit 1 makes a more durable heel.  It also looks pretty.

Once you've finished the length of the heel flap, you will turn the heel (however your pattern does that).

Turning the heel shapes a corner.  This will reduce the number of stitches on your heel flap needle.

Now you will have 1/2 the total round set aside (not worked for some time), and you will have less than half the total round for your heel stitches.

The next steps will have you pickup stitches along the sides of your heel flap.  After that step you will likely have more than 64 stitches.  At this point you will be knitting the full round again, with nothing set aside, and you will likely be doing some decreasing in the next few rounds.  My pattern has me decrease back to the original number of stitches (64 in your case) and then work the foot part.

Hope that's helpful.  I think even simple patterns can be made more complicated by the writing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008 09:18:36 AM »

And you already answered my next question!
Glad to help.  After you have knitted a couple of socks, you'll realize that ALL patterns are made up of the exact same parts.
I recommend this sock pattern.
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksthreesizes.htm
It's the least complicated and easiest for a beginner to follow.  You'll begin to understand how sock patterns work, including the one stumping you....
Try this and the other patterns will begin to make sense.

ALL socks are tubes with the same 6 parts, no matter what the pattern
1. rib
2. calve (ankle) [depends on the length]
3. heel flap
4. heel turn
5. foot
6. toe

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008 09:19:36 AM by Ambimom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
SophieAnn
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008 11:49:37 AM »

Like the next step says:

Row:1 S1, k1 across
Row 2: S1, p across

So the instructions for row 1 would have you believe that you are doing s1, k1 over and over until the end of the row. Whereas row 2 is s1 at the beginning and then purl the rest of the stitches. I have a feeling slipping every other stitch on row one would look quite funny!

Actually, that's how I knit my heels - slip every other stitch on the knit row, then when you turn, you purl across, just like you said above.  It looks quite nice, and apparently makes it more durable.  Give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
80% of Women Wear the Wrong Size Bra! Are You?
13 Items Under $100 to Complete Your Fall Wardrobe
5 Ways To Wear Leather Shorts For Fall
Le Bon Marché: Inside the Birthplace of Shopping
Chanel Spring 2014 RTW Runway Show: Celebrity Sightings at PFW 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...