A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP recreating a deep v, empire, sleeveless dress for NYE. (pictures included)  (Read 9679 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pintucks
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008 11:44:25 PM »

Is it too late to reply?
This is a great dress and worth re-making (Valentine's Day?)
If you go to the other website listed where the photo came from (http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/18480362.html) the pix are larger and seamlines clear--

anyway, here is how I break it down:
bustline: princess seamed triangular bra tops, black shoulder straps
waistline: big tucks in the skirt fabric in the front, these create the waistline fit, and release fabric for the skirt.

I think that the bustline would be the hardest to draft from scratch, so I looked for a pattern that had the same top: McCall's 5380, view C and D. http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5380.htm

This sewing pattern has a top that has a princess seamline.  It is originally a halter, but it could probably be made for shoulder straps, like the one we are trying to copy.  Cut and sew the bra just like the original pattern.

Midriff: The original dress has 3 stitched pleats at each side of center front. 
1) Take both the front and side front midriff pattern pieces, and draft a vertical/on grain line about 3 inches from the seam that's below the bustline (the princess seam). 
2) Cut along that line: now you have 4 midriff pattern pieces for the front. 
3) Tape these 4 pieces 2" apart onto paper (the back side of wrapping paper is good)
4) Now you have a 'spread out' version of the front midriff patterns.  Add about 17" or more to the bottom of this new pattern piece.  This additional pattern will become the skirt. 
5) Add  'notches' along the top edge of this pattern where each of the 4 midriff pieces are set.  This will be where you will sew the tucks together.
6)  To sew the skirt, sew in tucks at each notch.  The tucks will be 2" deep and as long as the original midriff pattern.  The fabric below this will be full, and creates the skirt.  Press the pleats flat.  The extra pleat fabric is facing center front so they lay flat.
7) Back: cut and sew as the original pattern.

Fabric: this is a charcoal grey men's wear worsted wool with a faint blue windowpane plaid line.  The suiting fabric gives this dress it's smooth look.

fun!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xahhitsliz
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008 12:41:03 PM »

hah how funny
the girl is hannabeth
and that is the guy from malcom in the middle
and the chick with pink hair is audrey kitchings
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love.
- Albert Einstein
zOmbiE_cUpcAkeS
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008 09:59:39 AM »

Is it too late to reply?
This is a great dress and worth re-making (Valentine's Day?)
If you go to the other website listed where the photo came from (http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/18480362.html) the pix are larger and seamlines clear--

anyway, here is how I break it down:
bustline: princess seamed triangular bra tops, black shoulder straps
waistline: big tucks in the skirt fabric in the front, these create the waistline fit, and release fabric for the skirt.

I think that the bustline would be the hardest to draft from scratch, so I looked for a pattern that had the same top: McCall's 5380, view C and D. http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5380.htm

This sewing pattern has a top that has a princess seamline.  It is originally a halter, but it could probably be made for shoulder straps, like the one we are trying to copy.  Cut and sew the bra just like the original pattern.

Midriff: The original dress has 3 stitched pleats at each side of center front. 
1) Take both the front and side front midriff pattern pieces, and draft a vertical/on grain line about 3 inches from the seam that's below the bustline (the princess seam). 
2) Cut along that line: now you have 4 midriff pattern pieces for the front. 
3) Tape these 4 pieces 2" apart onto paper (the back side of wrapping paper is good)
4) Now you have a 'spread out' version of the front midriff patterns.  Add about 17" or more to the bottom of this new pattern piece.  This additional pattern will become the skirt. 
5) Add  'notches' along the top edge of this pattern where each of the 4 midriff pieces are set.  This will be where you will sew the tucks together.
6)  To sew the skirt, sew in tucks at each notch.  The tucks will be 2" deep and as long as the original midriff pattern.  The fabric below this will be full, and creates the skirt.  Press the pleats flat.  The extra pleat fabric is facing center front so they lay flat.
7) Back: cut and sew as the original pattern.

Fabric: this is a charcoal grey men's wear worsted wool with a faint blue windowpane plaid line.  The suiting fabric gives this dress it's smooth look.

fun!!

wow...you really broke this down for her. I might try to make this myself...I am a beginner tho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fast Chinese Food Easy?
Part 5 - How to Make Tempura Noodles
7 Steps to Eating Healthy at Chinese Restaurants
Thai Foodcast: Green Curry Chicken
How to Make a Curry to go with your Beer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...