Is it too late to reply?
This is a great dress and worth re-making (Valentine's Day?)
If you go to the other website listed where the photo came from (http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/18480362.html
) the pix are larger and seamlines clear--
anyway, here is how I break it down:
bustline: princess seamed triangular bra tops, black shoulder straps
waistline: big tucks in the skirt fabric in the front, these create the waistline fit, and release fabric for the skirt.
I think that the bustline would be the hardest to draft from scratch, so I looked for a pattern that had the same top: McCall's 5380, view C and D. http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5380.htm
This sewing pattern has a top that has a princess seamline. It is originally a halter, but it could probably be made for shoulder straps, like the one we are trying to copy. Cut and sew the bra just like the original pattern.
Midriff: The original dress has 3 stitched pleats at each side of center front.
1) Take both the front and side front midriff pattern pieces, and draft a vertical/on grain line about 3 inches from the seam that's below the bustline (the princess seam).
2) Cut along that line: now you have 4 midriff pattern pieces for the front.
3) Tape these 4 pieces 2" apart onto paper (the back side of wrapping paper is good)
4) Now you have a 'spread out' version of the front midriff patterns. Add about 17" or more to the bottom of this new pattern piece. This additional pattern will become the skirt.
5) Add 'notches' along the top edge of this pattern where each of the 4 midriff pieces are set. This will be where you will sew the tucks together.
6) To sew the skirt, sew in tucks at each notch. The tucks will be 2" deep and as long as the original midriff pattern. The fabric below this will be full, and creates the skirt. Press the pleats flat. The extra pleat fabric is facing center front so they lay flat.
7) Back: cut and sew as the original pattern.
Fabric: this is a charcoal grey men's wear worsted wool with a faint blue windowpane plaid line. The suiting fabric gives this dress it's smooth look.