A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,780
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anyone own a dress form? I am getting one & have questions!  (Read 1920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amarok
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008 02:32:16 PM »

i bought one from UK (i live in finland) in the spring. that's like 6 months ago. i just used it yesterday succesfully for the first time. before that it's only modeled some of my clothes. and i've had the biggest problems with the adjusting-thingies: when i make something that's very tight, it won't go on my model, because the clothe gets caught on the adjustment bits Sad

well, all and all, i think that only professional ones and only "professionally" used model dummys can be helpful. but that's just me talking after being very disappointed in the second class dummy i bought. at least i didn't pay much for it, though. and if i'd bought it from finland the same dummy would have cost twice as much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
toothfairy51
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008 05:22:23 PM »

Hi Michell,
I have a 'Uniquely You' dress form from Atlanta Thread Supply. I bought it online, on sale. I think it was $130.00. It is very firm foam with a fitted covering that you first put on your own body, insideout, and pin tightly to fit you. You cannot do this yourself, someone else needs to do it for you. Then once it is very tightly pinned to your shape, take it off (there is a full length zipper in the back) and sew along your pins. Now struggle, and I mean struggle, to get the cover onto the foam form. It isn't easy but, once it is done right it's a fabulous dress form. You can pin anything anywhere on it. No knobs, and it's height adjustable as well. I'm really glad I got this one. It has been wonderful to work on.
Do a google search for atlanta thread supply (ATS). customer service was great as was shipping. You choose the closest size to your measurements.
I love it!
I hope this helps  Kiss
toothfairy51
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is hard.... it's harder if you're stupid
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008 08:46:17 PM »

Hi Michell,
I have a 'Uniquely You' dress form from Atlanta Thread Supply. I bought it online, on sale. I think it was $130.00. It is very firm foam with a fitted covering that you first put on your own body, insideout, and pin tightly to fit you. You cannot do this yourself, someone else needs to do it for you. Then once it is very tightly pinned to your shape, take it off (there is a full length zipper in the back) and sew along your pins. Now struggle, and I mean struggle, to get the cover onto the foam form. It isn't easy but, once it is done right it's a fabulous dress form. You can pin anything anywhere on it. No knobs, and it's height adjustable as well. I'm really glad I got this one. It has been wonderful to work on.
Do a google search for atlanta thread supply (ATS). customer service was great as was shipping. You choose the closest size to your measurements.
I love it!
I hope this helps  Kiss
toothfairy51

Is it re-adjustable by chance?

(I am planning on working out alot more after christmas is over and get into really good shape, but that could take a long time after having three kids and wanting to sew before exercising!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
toothfairy51
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008 04:47:32 PM »

Hi Michell,
I love it!
I hope this helps  Kiss
toothfairy51

Is it re-adjustable by chance?
(I am planning on working out alot more after christmas is over and get into really good shape, but that could take a long time after having three kids and wanting to sew before exercising!
It is. Just make sure that you don't cut off the excess fabric of the seam allowances once you've finished sewing the cover to fit you. What you do is, once you've pinned the cover to your body, you take the cover off and take out the original stitching. Then restitch to your pins. Do this, just don't trim the fabric in the seam allowance. Then if you need to make it a bit larger, at some point in time, you can just take out your stitching, re-pin, and re-stitch.
Very nice dressform.
 Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toothfairy51
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008 04:49:30 PM »

I'm gonna have to figure out the proper way to use the 'insert quote' thing. Sorry about that. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008 12:39:05 PM »

$400? You could get a better one for that kind of money!

I am a fashion design major and we call those "dial-a-dummy"s. I have one that I begged for in highschool, but I like my professional one much much better. I just won the professional one in a design competition.

I have a dritz twin fit and it is a bit of a hassle to work with. I don't like the gaps that happen between the pieces when you make the form bigger and I don't like the fact that the form is a b-cup and I am an a-cup and the part that I have the most problem fitting is the bust. Also, if I put a bra on it, one side collapses. Not good.

My professional form is industry standard size 8. It is made by PGMPro :http://www.pgm-pro.com/
And it would have cost around $400. I can actually pin stuff to it and I don't have to worry about any gaps. It is easy enough to pad up, although you can't go down. Just use batting and fiberfill to pad up and measure to make sure it is right. The slightly cheaper ones are $300 and then even cheaper are $219. I like that my new dressform has a butt, so I can see where things hit better, but I think that is an upgrade.

The shoulders "collapse" to get stuff over the top. Just push in on the shoulders and they stick in, push in again and they come back out.

I wish I would have known to get one of these types of dress forms in the first place. They are so much sturdier and so much easier to drape on. The dial-a-dummy is mostly plastic, while my new one is metal, wood, linen, and some type of stuffing. And it has wheels, but that isn't such a big deal.

You can also get a custom made form from PGMPro, but you have to get a price quote on those. I bet they are more money, but it is probably worth it. If you wanted the $219 one, I would go with a size 6 or 8 with your bust measurement and pad everything else out.

I am sure uniquely you is much better, too, for fixing the reasons I don't like my twinfit, since you pad that out yourself, too.

I have had both types of forms, and I heartily recommend the PGMPro dressform over any dial a dummy (I also have a Dritz My Double).  I, too have an apparel design degree who purchased the latter dress form before I knew anything about draping. 

Even if you're thinking you're not going to use it hardcore, I have to tell you that buying a dial a dummy is a waste of money.  You can't pin into it, there are no side seams to work off of, and they're generally quite flimsy.  None of these forms will mirror your exact body shape, even being adjustable.  Your best bet is to to get a more professional dress form that's either:  a little bigger, so when you try on your garments in progress you can nip them in a little during the fitting process, or a little smaller and pad the areas that need to be larger.  Either approach will work. 

If you're worried about the cost of the PGMPro dressform I would check on ebay.  That's where I bought mine.  I am also getting a good chunk of money back (I think like $80 or more?) because I clicked through to ebay after searching for the dressform on live.com (I currently temp for the Microsoft company cashback) and ebay had 25% cashback that day, so, voila!  If you want more information about this, you can PM me and I can help.

So, basically:  adjustable dressform=bad.   Sturdy, pinnable dressform=good.

*note - I just noticed that you live in Canada.  D'oh!  The cashback thing I mentioned is only for US residents.  Sorry Sad.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008 12:40:59 PM by Fraugee728 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Michellegio_sew

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008 08:00:05 PM »

It is. Just make sure that you don't cut off the excess fabric of the seam allowances once you've finished sewing the cover to fit you. What you do is, once you've pinned the cover to your body, you take the cover off and take out the original stitching. Then restitch to your pins. Do this, just don't trim the fabric in the seam allowance. Then if you need to make it a bit larger, at some point in time, you can just take out your stitching, re-pin, and re-stitch.
Very nice dressform.
 Kiss

LOL I wouldn't need it to get bigger (hopefully! except maybe in the chest by some miracle?) I just was thinking that if I can actually stick to my workouts that maybe hopefully eventually I will finally have those "buns of steel" and "hip hop abs" - google hip hop abs, its actually pretty fun (Does chasing your cat away from your fabric count as exercise?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amarok
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008 09:18:41 AM »

BUT if you're planning on losing some weight and need to buy the dressform asap, you can buy one in your ideal size and then pad it so that it's the right size for you before you're smaller, and you can take the pads off when you're in the ideal size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
KikiForPresident
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008 02:37:29 PM »

I've owned one for two years (my Christmas present too!) and I really love it.  It's a "small" Sew-Stylish (I *think* that's the brand name).  I'm a 32-24-35 and it fits me pretty good.  It's a tiny bit larger than me but nothing that really messes up the sizing.  It's 100% perfect for hemming skirts and dresses (was always my weak-point before).

Hope this helps a bit.  It's a PERFECT Christmas gift for a sewer!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michellegio_sew

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008 03:57:47 PM »

BUT if you're planning on losing some weight and need to buy the dressform asap, you can buy one in your ideal size and then pad it so that it's the right size for you before you're smaller, and you can take the pads off when you're in the ideal size.

Well, actually I am fairly small already (36 - 30 - 39 at 5'3" tall - 120 lbs) so I will probably gain weight if I work out, I just want to have a flat stomach because I had three kids so there is some flab/loose skin...I am so jealous of the people who can pop out all these kids and still look like they did when they were 20.  (but that is a whole other post on a whole other site!)

As far as dressforms go I am still buying the only kind available where I live which is within my budget and I shouldn't have to add padding, except maybe to the stomach... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sharpening Photos For Both Web and Print
How to Draw Sponge Bob
How to Draw Snow White
How to Draw Silversmith
How to Draw Sierra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...