A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP~ I HAVE to know how to do THIS kind of WEARABLE ART ruffle felting  (Read 6886 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caprig
« on: November 24, 2008 11:25:48 AM »

I am very anxious to learn how to make artistic scarves from felting- something similar to these.  I really need to learn how- as it satisfies the artistic part of me.  But I can not find ANYONE locally
who can do this, nor online.

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.44774456.jpg

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.37985964.jpg

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_430xN.43937561.jpg

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.46183794.jpg

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.44168812.jpg

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_430xN.43336819.jpg

I have looked all over for instructions and can not find anything, can you help?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008 07:44:22 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008 11:45:53 AM »

Hi! Do you felt already? Because thoes are pretty advanced projects to get started out with! I think some of them, such as the red one, might be nuno felt.

I recomend getting started with the basic process of felting, then after a few projects and playing around with the techniques you'll have a better understanding of how to shape, make the ruffled edges etc. Instructions isn't really the right word for felting, more techniques.

Go to Youtube and type in felting. There are basic videos there. Also, check your local library/ Amazon for books on flet making.

Does that help?

PS. If you already felt I can give you some more detailed tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008 12:05:22 PM »

Thank you for posting this they are wonderful... I want to do this now as well... and thank you doyouloveanapple for the suggestions! I am posting mostly so that I can keep up with the "instruction" or techniques you manage to glean from this. I want to start felting. The Mirthfairy and I got some felt at one point, but we didn't get around to much more than dyeing it. I guess its time to get some more... pull out the cool aid and go to town!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
caprig
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008 12:19:53 PM »

Hi! Do you felt already? Because thoes are pretty advanced projects to get started out with! I think some of them, such as the red one, might be nuno felt.

I recomend getting started with the basic process of felting, then after a few projects and playing around with the techniques you'll have a better understanding of how to shape, make the ruffled edges etc. Instructions isn't really the right word for felting, more techniques.

Go to Youtube and type in felting. There are basic videos there. Also, check your local library/ Amazon for books on flet making.

Does that help?
PS. If you already felt I can give you some more detailed tips.

Isn't nuno felting through another fabric such as silk or something that will catch the fiber?  I have done some nuno felting and regular and needle felting as well, but most basic stuff. 

I am also an avid fiber artist who has designed my own yarn and coats too.  I do a lot with 3D art as well in other media, so for me, it is just getting to know how to work the media to get what I need to get out of it.

I don't know about how to make ruffles with felt, though.  And I have looked through many books, but it all is very blocky and basic.  I have to do artistic weird things with fiber- or I am not happy.  (chuckle- blame the artist in me HAHA)

My very first completely hand knitting project was an advanced hexagonal coat from Vogue knitting- if it is not unique and out there, I am usually not interested long enough to finish it.  If I am going to take my expensive hand dyed fibers and make something out of it, I want it to be art worthy.

Does that help at all?  Sometimes it is hard to know what kind of level someone is on just from talking online.  I hope maybe that will help.

I already went on Youtube and found nothing beyond the typical blocky stuff I already know.  Maybe I missed something?

ANY information you can give me would be deeply welcomed and appreciated.  I just HAVE to do some work like those neck pieces.  I have an entire arsenal of rainbow colored fibers (along with 3D and duochrome fibers to add to them) waiting for me to start. 

Those neck pieces really called my name.  I just HAVE to make something like that, or I might burst!

HAHAHa

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I will be waiting excitedly for any info you can give me. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
caprig
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008 12:22:41 PM »

Thank you for posting this they are wonderful... I want to do this now as well... and thank you doyouloveanapple for the suggestions! I am posting mostly so that I can keep up with the "instruction" or techniques you manage to glean from this. I want to start felting. The Mirthfairy and I got some felt at one point, but we didn't get around to much more than dyeing it. I guess its time to get some more... pull out the cool aid and go to town!

LOL- another dyeing fanatic eh?  I have a whole collection of fibers waiting to be used- I went on a dyeing frenzy before the bad weather hit so I am set for a while.  I have a felting machine that I have not had a chance to use much (DH lost his job 4 months ago so crafting is at an all time LOW- too crowded around here). 

However, I love the stupid thing and can not wait to felt up something artistic!  I just HAVE to make some neck pieces like that- they are the perfect size for felting for me right now. 

I can not wait to get started- I am on craftless overload- so I have to do SOMETHINg intense soon HAHA

THIS ROCKS   Logged
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008 01:49:53 PM »

Well you've inspired me too.

Yes, nuno is usually done with silk. Silk organza doesn't felt, but you put wool on top and bottom and the fibers link though the silk and felt together.  This creates a ripple in the felt as wool shrinks and silk doesn't. That's why I think its nuno. Often people leave parts of the silk showing, but you can do it completly covered in fibre.

I found this online, it might help http://rayreynolds.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/how-to-make-nuno-felt/

Often my pieces come out accidentally like that on the edges and I wind up cutting it off.. lol. That is caused by too much streatching. But, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure those ruffly becuase there is another fabric inside the felt.

Dying you say? I keep all my fleece white until i make a project (as I don't have much room to store roving and a kitty who eats wool).. and it's getting to the point where I'm starting to hate dying. I always figure pre dyed fleece is so expensive, I'm better a making my own colours anyway, and then I don't have any random colours left over/ I don't waste roving.  I'd love to get my hands on some pre dyed fibers to work with.. hint hint.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008 04:45:22 PM by doyouloveanapple » THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
Chelsea K
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008 03:01:33 PM »

reminds me of different kind of lettuces and bacon..kinda like a big sandwich Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maasive
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008 04:38:48 PM »

it's definitely nuno felt - which is a long process in its self - youtube "nuno felt" some instructions should come up. Also its very easy to overfelt when doing nuno and then if becomes very wrinkly - have fun and let us see what you produce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008 11:44:18 AM »

I think the ruffles could be made by regular wet felting, without nuno. You can achieve the ruffles by heavily felting the center of the scarf, but not as much the edges - the center will shrink more and cause the edges to ruffle. Stretching out the edges during the felting process might also help.  Nuno tends to cause smaller wrinkles and bumps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caprig
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008 12:33:56 PM »

I think the ruffles could be made by regular wet felting, without nuno. You can achieve the ruffles by heavily felting the center of the scarf, but not as much the edges - the center will shrink more and cause the edges to ruffle. Stretching out the edges during the felting process might also help.  Nuno tends to cause smaller wrinkles and bumps.

Okay, that is sort of what I thought- I have never made ruffles with wet felting, but I will try to play with it.  Any pointers?

Nuno felting does get more wrinkly- at least from my experience, that is why I did not think that this was nuno. 

I know that there HAS to be some sort of pattern or instruction for this style neck piece because several people are making them now.  I just can not find anywhere on the net with the instructions but then again, I don't know what it is called- if I did, that might help.

Thanks!
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Sushi Hand Roll
Sushi: How to Make Pickled Ginger
How to Cut Fish for Sashimi
How to Prepare a Sushi Plate
Making Tuna Maki
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...