A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need your opinion on this quilt before I finish sewing the squares together! :)  (Read 2531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 24, 2008 05:11:13 AM »

I just finally took a lesson on the huge quilting machine at my local quilting shop, so I'm going to be able to completely finish this quilt on my own. (You can see my adventures during the lesson here http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-first-quilting-lesson.html if you are interested)

So the quilt below is going to be my first done totally by me, and its going to be a gift for my new baby cousin (on the way!). Of course I want all my quilts to be perfect- but this one especially...

The problem I'm having is with the pink border around the "Apples & Pears" blocks... is it the right shade of pink? Darker maybe? Should I not have used a solid? Should I not have used pink? Or am I'm just so crosseyed from staring at it that I'm seeing problems that are not even there?

Any constructive criticism would be highly appreciated- thank you so much!!!!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008 05:11:48 AM by NyteRayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008 05:22:22 AM »

I adore it just the way it is.  I think the lighter pink border makes the other shades and prints "pop".  Your cousin will be thrilled!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaigePower
your personal fun lover at your service

Love is Friendship on fire.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008 05:45:32 AM »

I love how it is now.
the brighter pink makes everything else look more bold and out there.
and the brighter pink makes all the rest of the pinks look prettier
=D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to swaps.
Just ask.
Looking to do Alice in Wonderland, Psych, or Wists swap

Wists
SewHelpMe
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008 05:50:39 AM »

First off:  I LOVE your pink and green theme, and I think your baby cousin will love it. 

Second:  Don't hate me for this, but...  I don't like the solid.  HOWEVER...  I'm one who would never consider re-doing blocks after making it this far!  I have a "too late now" attitude (even if I don't like how a quilt is turning out).  That said, though, if you're willing to re-work the apple/pear blocks, I wonder what the border pieces would look like with the pink prints you used in the centers of the green blocks?

Hope you accept this as constructive and not rude!

Have fun on the long arm.  I'm taking a class in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NyteRayn

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008 06:07:07 AM »

Don't hate me for this, but...  I don't like the solid.  HOWEVER...  I'm one who would never consider re-doing blocks after making it this far!  I have a "too late now" attitude (even if I don't like how a quilt is turning out).  That said, though, if you're willing to re-work the apple/pear blocks, I wonder what the border pieces would look like with the pink prints you used in the centers of the green blocks?

Hope you accept this as constructive and not rude!

I absolutely don't hate you for being honest! Its not like you were like "Wow- that quilt is FUGLY!" LOL. I appreciate the constructive criticism!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
NyteRayn

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008 06:08:49 AM »

I adore it just the way it is.  I think the lighter pink border makes the other shades and prints "pop".  Your cousin will be thrilled!

I love how it is now.
the brighter pink makes everything else look more bold and out there.
and the brighter pink makes all the rest of the pinks look prettier
=D

Thanks so much guys! I keep going back and forth between "it makes the other blocks pop!" and "the solid sticks out like a sore thumb"!

I'm only a perfectionist when it comes to crafting... everything else in my life is "meh, good enough." LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ineedart
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008 06:44:52 AM »

I think that the pink is fine: you have so many wonderful prints that the solid color gives your eye a rest, and lets you appreciate all the nice textures of the other fabrics. Does that make sense? Also, I have noticed with my quilts, once they get sewn together, it all sort of pulls together and unifies. I think it looks great! The colors, fabrics and pattern are adorable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.   ~Pablo Picasso

Looking for small but interesting scraps to make I Spy Quilts for my kids...will swap other fabric or ??
Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008 06:52:07 AM »

I think it looks great just the way it is.  In my opinion, if you took the solid pink out and used a patterned one, it would make the quilt way too busy and it wouldn't look as good as it does now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008 06:55:25 AM »

I think it looks good.  and like it was said.  once it is quilted the look of a quilt changes... it will mesh more into itself ... if that makes sense to anyone but me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
aml
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008 07:22:19 AM »

I think it looks great just the way it is.  In my opinion, if you took the solid pink out and used a patterned one, it would make the quilt way too busy and it wouldn't look as good as it does now.

I agree. It's great the way it is Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Fix Broken Powder Makeup
Sneak Peek: March 2014 NewBeauty TestTube
How to Apply Blue-Green Eye Makeup Inspired by Kelly Osbourne
Three Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Tired
4 Treatments for Younger Looking Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...