I am so excited about this project! I've been working on it for a little over a week now, since a few days after I got my new uke (which is just so cute!). I think I've got about enough pictures here for you to see how I did it...
So, first I sketched myself a pattern (sort of...) and sewed the lining together (bad-ass fabric from a Jo-Ann's sale with random fish). Here's what it looked like:
I knew the lining was a bit loose, so I planned to shrink it once the padding was in and went ahead and used the same pattern for the outside. I did stripes of alternating patterns on the front, so here's those sewn together next to part of the pattern:
I then sewed the rest of the outside together and cut out pieces of batting in the appropriate sizes (two layers except right around the zipper). I used the seams from the outer layer to attach the batting by hand:
After this step I did a little dance...
Then it was just a matter of lining up the edges with the zipper, which worked out surprisingly well. I lined them up so the zipper would be visible on the outside but covered on the inside, so it wouldn't scratch the uke. Here it is on the outside:
And on the inside:
Here's the almost finished product with the velcroed pocket which was sewn on pre-padding:
And the other side, with cats and such from another fabric appliquéd on also pre-padding:
A close-up of one of the appliqués:
I also used that fabric to cover a bit of a gap at the top of the zipper:
There's another little one at the bottom, just for consistency's sake.
And so here it is!
A wonderful idea of ScotSkipper402
's led me to this braided handle:
Last picture, honest:
I may make more of this type of bag for friends of mine with instruments, so any comments/suggestions would be most welcome.
I've been living with lisaisab
during this project, and she's been making a different kind of bag for her mandolin. Watch for it and it's awesomeness!