A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
829 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cricut Expressions - Can you use your own images?  (Read 43088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 23, 2008 07:23:20 PM »

I had the TV on this morning while cross-stitching a Christmas present for my dad, and just as I reached for the remote to turn it off, an infomercial for the Cricut Expression came on. So I left it on for entertainment, which probably says a lot about me. Smiley

I might be interested in owning one - okay, who am I fooling? I am interested in owning one, but as a computer geek (coincidentally, what I was cross-stitching was a happy Mac face...), I frequently use stuff I make on the computer or find online in my crafting. I noticed the infomercial people using cartridges. Does anyone know if you can program your own images into the Cricut Expressions machine or into one of its cartridges? If so, it would just be perfect. I'm not a paper crafter by nature (faaaaaar too much of a perfectionist), but when I saw all the other things you could use it for (etching was a big draw, especially), I began drooling. But I'm not about to shell out the $500 myself, and I'm not going to ask for a Christmas gift of money toward the machine if I can't play with images I want to incorporate.

So, anybody know if I can use my own images with the machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008 06:06:44 AM »

I have a Cricut Expression. 

Do you want to print out images & then have the Cricut cut it? 

If you do, then no, you can't use the Cricut.  You would need a Wishblade, Sihouette or Craft Robo.  Those machines have the Print & Cut technology. 

Pazzles can do it but it is a bit tricky.  The above three machines have lasers built into them.

I hope I don't get confusing for the next part.  If I do just let me know. 

If you want to cut out a WebDing font or Coloring Page then yes you can use the Cricut Expression or one of the other die cut machines.  You would need a drawing program like Inkscape to trace the photo & then cut it.

You can't technically cut it out using the Cricut.  You need a third party program called Sure Cuts A Lot.  Since I am kind of new I don't know if I am allowed to post the link.  If it is ok, just let me know & I will. 

That program will let you cut with your Cricut.  The other die cutters don't need that program.

The Cricut Expression usually does not cost around $500.  I bought mine at Hallmark Scrapbook for $250 & I got three cartridges with it. 

WalMart's Black Friday sale will be $199. 

The other computerized die cut machines are not cartridge based.  The Cricut is the only one.  I do have a Wishblade if that is any help too.

The Cricut does cut several different kinds of materials like fabric, chipboard, vinyl.  If you get the new deep blade housing you can cut wood, rubber stamp material & other heavier materials.  I heard the new blade is wonky & it is hit or miss. 

Any questions don't be shy.

I edited for new information find on the machines or upgrades.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009 09:10:28 PM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
sawainah58
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008 05:10:05 PM »

I believe there is also a computer program that you can use to design your own images, connect it to your Cricut or Cricut Expression and have it cut it out for you. The name of the program is Design Studio, its through the same company that makes the Cricut series, I've heard it works wonderfully from the woman I purchased my Cricut from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008 04:36:35 AM »

Cricut does have their own software. It's called the Cricut Design Studio but no we can't cut out our own images. It is made for the cartridges so you can mix & match cartridges them cut them out all at once. 

For example if you wanted to cut out a dog from Animal Kingdom & another dog from Paper Pups you can do that.  You can make them a particular size.  If you need one dog at 3 1/8 & the other dog at 5 1/4 you can do that also. 

Some of the ladies over at the Cricut Forum combine the cartridges & make the neatest items out of it.  One lady made Clifford the Big Red Dog. It was so cute. 

I do have the software & use it all the time. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

photojenn
Clothing Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008 05:01:43 PM »

Thanks for the great info in this thread!  I've been looking at getting a Cricut Expressions and this has been helpful. 

One quick question, I saw that you can get ink for the Cricut?  How does that work?  Does it color and cut at the same time?  Color then cut?  Are they two completely separate things? Any information would be greatly appreciated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bod
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008 12:45:59 AM »

You can draw with the cricut by replacing the blade with a specially designed to fit pen which come in a variety of colours. I assume if you draw you can then replace the blade, reload the paper and cut the same image with the blade. The machine is basically a plotter with a blade as standard instead of a pen.

I don't have any pens for mine yet but I only got my cricut this Christmas. They are certainly on the list of things I would like to have though.

Have just got the demo of Sure cuts a lot (SCAL) and am certain I shall be buying that before too long. I use a Mac so will be able to create cutting files in illustrator to cut out on it. Have had a quick play so far and am pretty excited about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009 05:28:49 AM »

Thanks for the great info in this thread!  I've been looking at getting a Cricut Expressions and this has been helpful. 

One quick question, I saw that you can get ink for the Cricut?  How does that work?  Does it color and cut at the same time?  Color then cut?  Are they two completely separate things? Any information would be greatly appreciated Smiley

I am the worst at doing quotes.  I hope I did this right. Smiley

The ink are little markers with twelve different colors.  Each package has four in them & runs about $14. 

You can only draw with the markers.  Then you have to put the blade back in & cut. You can do it vice versa which makes a better shadow.  To do that you unload the paper & then reload the paper.  Do not remove anything from the mat. The button you press is Load Last.

I use the Crayola Pip Squeaks with a pencil gripper.  They are rubber & have ridges on them.  I can take a pic of it.  Just let me know.  You can also use Mini-Sharpies with the gripper too.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009 09:12:11 PM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

photojenn
Clothing Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009 06:46:15 AM »

Thanks for the info!  lylacfey, if you could, I'd love to see a picture of the pencil gripper you are talking about.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009 05:27:28 AM »

I will take a photo of the gripper tomorrow & upload when I log in. 

I am editing because I sound so grumpy, lol.  I adopted a new kitten & her new game is trying to pull the keys off my notebook, lol.  I am typing & trying to save my notebook at the same time.  She already pulled off the D. She is a little angel. I completely adore her.  I love toddlers. Smiley

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009 06:23:59 AM by lylacfey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gabbysjunk@gmail.com
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009 03:27:27 PM »

I was so glad to see this discussion!  I am wanting to find something to cut out my own cupcake wrappers like the laser cut ones that are becoming so popular. 

Is this something I could do with the cricut?  Any suggestions for a machine that would do the job better?

I am a pretty experienced crafter, but I am having trouble visualizing exactly how the cricut works.

Thanks for the help!!

Gabby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Transparency in an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Crop an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Layer in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Text Layer in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...