A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Afghan for my Grandpa  (Read 897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zeenobia
Well behaved women never make history.

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009 05:46:06 PM »

I made this "Mile a Minute" afghan for my grandpa for Christmas this year.  It's the first time I've done an afghan that requires putting pieces together.  Once I started measuring each strip, instead of assuming that 50 shells done in the same yarn with the same hook would be the same length, it was much easier.   All in all, I was happy with the result.  It's a good pattern, and pretty easy to do.  I finished it in about a week.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for?"  -Gimli

Check out my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/WendyLadysWares
smrfchic
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009 05:57:48 PM »

Ah, that looks so cozy! Did you get the pattern from a book or online?

How did the piecing go? I haven't even done a granny square afghan because I dread sewing things together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009 06:32:34 PM »

I wish more people would include pix the happy recipients of their handiwork like this! It just makes your heart feel happy about what you do! Smiley Nice work, and I love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009 08:07:59 PM »

I like the design and nothing says love more than putting thought and effort into it and making it yourself and you can tell by the look on his face that he loves it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knkurz
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009 08:54:20 PM »

That's lovely!  How did you join the strips?  I've just started a granny square crochetalong, and I have no idea how I will join them together once all the pieces have been made.

It's nice to see how much he likes the blanket Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiel
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009 06:58:39 AM »

That is very nice.  I love the colors.  When I saw the pic my first thought was someone made grandpa something. 

I made my grandmother a granny square afghan.  She taught me to crochet and we would sit up till 3-4 am crocheting.  My grandmother gave me 50+ years of yarn and all crochet and knitting needles.  I crochet them up and surrounded each with a black border. Gave it to her the Christmas before she passed.  I have it till this day.  I love to snuggle in it and walk down memory lane. Personally I have everything she ever made me in a safety deposit box.  Crazy but they are my most cherished of all items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009 03:50:24 PM »

very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zeenobia
Well behaved women never make history.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009 05:10:22 PM »

Ah, that looks so cozy! Did you get the pattern from a book or online?

How did the piecing go? I haven't even done a granny square afghan because I dread sewing things together.

The pattern came from "Our Best Afghans A-to-Z", published by Leisure Arts.  The Piece wasn't too hard once I made sure all the strips were approximately even.  I laid the strips down on the floor and whipstitched them together.  If there was a slight length discrepancy (an inch or so), then I stretched the shorter one to length, and held it down with canned veggies to keep it in place.  Pretty easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for?"  -Gimli

Check out my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/WendyLadysWares
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thick Hair 101
Styling Tips for Fine Hair
How to Straighten Curl Hair
How to Style a Braided Ponytail
How to Create the Faux Bob Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...