A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Volkswagen Quilt? Never Quilted - Need Help - IMG ADDED!  (Read 1073 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keeperrox
« on: November 23, 2008 09:08:58 AM »

Short story: I've never quilted or appliqued before and I want to make a quilt for my Volkswagen-obsessed husband for Christmas.  If you don't want to read the rest, skip down to the bottom where the questions are!

Long story: Last November, hubby got a job 75 miles away.  In May we put our house on the market, and I resigned from my 4 year teaching position.  I applied to many schools, only got two interviews, and zero job offers.  I was devastated.  I mean, this was my career and I do a damn good job, and no one wanted me.  Anyway, I got over that, and the increase in pay from hubby's new job is enough to support us.  Unfortunately, our house hasn't sold, like so many others across the country, so we've taken it off the market for now.  I have a deal with a Vo-Tech school where they guarantee me substitute work Monday through Thursday, so that helps out some.  It also helps that gas is down to $1.79, so those 150 miles a day aren't so painful anymore.  However, we've had to cut back significantly on frivilous spending, and because hubby is bringing in almost 80% of our income, I'm finding it hard just to go out and buy something this year.

I've started on a Volkswagen embroidery that I plan on framing, but I also want to make him a quilt for the couch.  We keep the thermostat set at 58o, because in our 84 year old house with steam radiators, the upstairs gets to be around 75o anyway.  Downstairs, however, can get pretty chilly. 

I've read about quilting, so I understand the basics, but I've never attempted to actually do it.  I can sew reasonably well for a novice, so I figure a small quilt won't be beyond my abilities.  I don't need to do anything fancy, and I'll probably tie it so my meager Kenmore sewing machine doesn't need to sew through all the layers, unless I can find a walking foot on the cheap or someone who will let me borrow their's.

Right now I'm thinking of just doing a large Volkswagen symbol applique on one side, and either fleece or a pieced panel on the other.  Here are my questions:

1. Since the Volkswagen symbol is round, how do I turn under all of those edges?  Can I use the method that Anna Maria Horner uses for her Super Circles?

1b. Obviously I'm planning on hand stitching the symbol to the front of the quilt.  However, would it look better to just cut it out and zig-zag the edges?

2. Would this size quilt be considered a lap quilt?  My husband's not a big guy (5'9", maybe 190 - he's built like a short football player Cheesy), so is just one width of fabric enough?  If not, will it look okay if I sew two pieces of fabric together, if I don't plan on machine quilting over the seam?

3. If I use fleece for the backing, what would be appropriate to use for the batting? Or do I need to use anything at all?

That's it for now!  I really appreciate any help or tips that you can offer!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008 06:14:31 PM by keeperrox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008 03:26:17 PM »

...Here are my questions:

1. Since the Volkswagen symbol is round, how do I turn under all of those edges?  Can I use the method that Anna Maria Horner uses for her Super Circles?

I would use fusible stuff and fuse it to your background - no turning required.

1b. Obviously I'm planning on hand stitching the symbol to the front of the quilt.  However, would it look better to just cut it out and zig-zag the edges?

If you hand stitch, you could use the super circles method. You could use the blind hem stitch, you could zigzag, or you could satin stitch.  Fusing, or at least gluing it down (quilter's basting spray or good old Elmer's glue stick), will help it stay in place while you attach it.

2. Would this size quilt be considered a lap quilt?  My husband's not a big guy (5'9", maybe 190 - he's built like a short football player Cheesy), so is just one width of fabric enough?  If not, will it look okay if I sew two pieces of fabric together, if I don't plan on machine quilting over the seam?
Not sure what size you are referring to.  If you use 42" wide fabric by a length of 60" or so, that's the smallest I would do.  You can add borders (racing stripes? car print?) to add width and length.

3. If I use fleece for the backing, what would be appropriate to use for the batting? Or do I need to use anything at all?

You could skip the batting if it's a heavy fleece.

That's it for now!  I really appreciate any help or tips that you can offer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008 06:13:50 PM »

Thanks Marmish!

Here's basically what I want to do:

Picture the Volkswagen symbol in blue, though.  I'm not sure if I want to stencil or embroider the image on the back, but I know that I want to make that area into a foot pocket, which is what the blue line is (the same as the binding).

I'm definitely leaning towards hand appliqueing the symbol, because I'd prefer to not see the stitching. Any other tips on turning under all the edges?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SophieAnn
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008 06:53:53 AM »

Here's an excellent tutorial on methods of doing a curved hem.  I think this will really help you with tucking the edges under before hand appliqueing.  I saw someone post this in General Sewing awhile back, and I immediately thought of it when I saw your post.

http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/1125

I'm thinking the second method will work well for you.  Go to "Step 7" to see the start of the second method.  You could use this method for tucking/pressing the seam, but skip "Step 10" which is the top-stitching of the hem - this is where you would start your hand appliqueing.

Good luck!  Look forward to seeing the finished piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
keeperrox
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008 09:02:04 AM »

Aaaaaaahhhhhh!  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  I definitely think I'm going to try this.  Thanks for passing along the link, SophieAnn! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008 07:46:29 PM »

I would run a basting line and press just like that Burda link.  I also would mark the circle first ( the pressing line) because it's hard to tell if you are even otherwise. 

I was thinking you could also do reverse applique, where you stitch the two layers together, then cut out the top layer so the underneath shows.  If you want to hand applique, I don't think that will be the look you want, though.

When hand appliqueing, your stitches should be very close - 1/4" at the most.  Finer thread will be more easily hidden. Baste your applique really, really well, especially because it's large.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Information About ISO and Light Settings
How to Select a Digital Camera for Beginners
How to Take High Fashion Photos
Underwater Digital Photography - Part 2/2
Underwater Digital Photography - Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...