A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Married Christmas Gift Ideas?  (Read 19266 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 23, 2008 09:07:20 AM »

My husband and I got married in August, and this will be our first Christmas as Mr. and Mrs.  Does anyone have any ideas of special memento type things I could make to commemorate our first Christmas after getting married for us to keep and be able to show our kids one day? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Megzy818
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happily married to my best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008 09:22:45 AM »

what day in august did you two get married? just curious, my husband and i just got married august 5th of this year Smiley I want to look for an ornament for the tree that i can paint with the wedding date and save for years, my parents have one that they got the first year they were married and still have it today, other than that i'm not sure...good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud ARMY brat and NAVY Wife!!! 08/05/08
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1414000172&ref=profile
Hippos are my favorite Smiley
BadWolf

cassettetape--->BadWolf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008 09:25:54 AM »

Definitely an ornament, then you could do one every christmas. You'd have a nice collection  Cheesy

Alternately, a wall hanging or a reusable advent calendar with your names and the year. A Christmas couch pillow would be cool to or a throw blanket if you're into the more functional items. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My username has changed from cassettetape to BadWolf.

"Does this shirt make me look like a party balloon?"-Mike

http://pinterest.com/marquesajen
angeltreats
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008 09:51:05 AM »

Congratulations!  We also got married in August this year.

In the Christmas ornament swap, Elvissatx made her partners some lovely little mini book ornaments, I thought it was a lovely idea.  You could write your wedding date and "first Christmas as Mr and Mrs" and memories of how you spend the first Christmas together.

Here's a link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllieStar
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008 01:00:30 PM »

Congrats!!! Cheesy

Not really crafty, but my husband and I bought an ornament on our honeymoon (Disney World, luckily in November they were already displaying their Christmas stuff for sale) that we could hang on the tree. Every year that we buy new ornaments we ALWAYS write the year on them with a Sharpie! We have stories for each ornament and it's good to know what year we found them. In the future I hope to show my kid(s) the ornaments and continue adding to our crazy collection!

Maybe you could make an ornament with a wedding picture inside, I'm thinking of polymer clay possibly? Definitely something that says "Just Married" or the cheesy "Our First Christmas" because they look so cute! Smiley

I agree on the pillow idea.. this sounds awesome! You could make a new one every year to display!

Some DIY holiday cards to send out would be cool too... if you're good with a photo-editing program on your computer you could include a wedding picture and some holiday images/border. I used scrapbook paper and winter stamps for our 1st holiday cards as Mr. and Mrs. and included a picture from our wedding. Unfortunately I didn't finish them all so only half of our family received them in the mail and the other got the boring store-bought cards! If this is something you think you want to do, WeddingBee.com usually has good ideas for crafty brides and new wifeys! Smiley You may have to search around in the older entries though. I used a good tutorial that a girl posted a few years ago!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee. myspace. cupcakes. flickr. embroidery.
NEW! my crafty blog >> ice pink stars!
shannonkay
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008 04:22:41 PM »

I just got married September 13 and we're definitely going to have "our first Christmas" ornament.

Note - at Disneyland they have some Christmas stuff all year in one of the collectibles shops.

We'll also need new stockings since for one thing my childhood ones are staying with my parents. You could make/decorate matchingish ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008 05:50:15 PM »

I think an ornament is a good idea. I didn't make  - but we got beautiful glass ones in Pisa on our honeymoon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunshinekitty1
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008 06:46:09 PM »

You could make "Mr." and "Mrs." stockings. My sister got married in October and I'm trying to make her a simple quilt that has her wedding colors. I'm hoping to finish it by Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008 09:59:05 PM »

You need to take your time and make or buy a special tree topper then ask him if you and him could each exchange ornaments this and every year (he can buy his if he must). and date each one. There is also the tree skirt and stockings? are you filling one another stockings. It took my husband till the kids were old enough to insist he fill mine to get that. I Bought my sisters family ornaments one for each But I made the two boys theirs My 10 year old nephew got one made out of Legos and the baby got a playschool truck I drilled a hole though to string. They all loved them. Every year we add to ours family tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Jameson
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008 08:38:00 AM »

The best thing about this time is that you get to establish your traditions together.

Does your husband enjoy the Holidays?

Talk to him.  See if there are any traditions that you want to bring from your own upbringings or new things that you want to add.

Establish if you will decorate together or if just one of you is going to do it.  If you do it together, when your children are born this will become a cherished memory.  Pop some popcorn, mull some wine and cider, play all your favorite Christmas music and make a night of it.  Then you can include decorations as gifts to him as well.  Gifts could also include music, homemade stockings or a punch bowl for your special holiday beverage.

Tickets to a holiday show like The Nutcracker or A Christmas Carol that you could make yearly traditions, or even a nice leather bound book of your favorite Christmas story that you will read together ever year would be nice.  You could make a pretty wallet to hold the tickets or a bookmark for the book to commemorate the first year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Abstract Wallpapers in Gimp
How to Make a Yummy Text in Gimp
How to Make Your Own Borders in Gimp
How to Assign a Sound File in Windows XP
How to Create Mutated Pictures in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...