A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New(ish) boyfriend gift ideas?  (Read 2053 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hxbananaxmxs
« on: November 23, 2008 08:36:39 AM »

Ok, I don't think I'd be able to help someone wih something like this unless I had a whole ton of background information, bu thats just me. I'm going to give as much as I can, if you're willing to help, you're asically an angel, but I also don't blame you for hitting the back button. By no means am I asking you to read all of this, only as much or as little as you need.

I know its going to sound weird, but I need a really good Christmas gift for my boyfriend. (That still sounds sooo weird.) Its a really twisted story, but here goes :

I'm 16, and a junior in highschool. I've liked this boy.... Sam, since October my freshman year. I told him I liked him, he told me he liked me (he's a year older than me, so now a senior, and he'll be 18 in april).
We talked the rest of the year, then on New Years Eve, he asked out this other girl. COOL. They broke up like, a month and a half later, and I started talking to him again. He dated another girl, for like, a week, then another. He and the second girl ended up daing for almost 18 months, and just ended in the past two weeks. We talked the whole way through their relationship, but nothing serious. I always always always stressed how I felt guilty just saying HI because I didn't want the girl to be mad. Blahblahblah, So they broke up, and now we're finally together. And it miiiiiiight just sound a little corny, but I'm so hppy its not even funny. And now I need to find im a super great christmas gift. We're both incredibly similar in so many ways. We both pay really close attention to details in our seperate 'arts'. (and everthing else) We're both in marching band, he plays trombone, I am in colorguard. He's really into band, I'm really into art, and crafty kinds of things. (Hence why I'm here Tongue) I've always turned to him for advice, (and ideas for things to draw) and have drawn him tons of pictures. Both our favorite colors are red Smiley I'm 5'2, and he's somewere between 6'2 and 6'4, so its a littttttttle bit of a difference, and we've come to joke about each other, calling the other Jack or Sally, so that movie holds a pretty big significance. He's really really special to me, and I don't want to over/under do anything. We're both fairly observent, and we pay really close attention to details, and we're constantly slipping 'subliminal messages' to each other. And of course, as soon as I need examples I can't think of any of our inside jokes.

I Feel like there's so much I'm leaving out. There might be edits to add things.

While thinking of something to make him before we 'got together' I thought of making an Oogie Boogie doll, as a reference to NBC, without being really straightforward to Jack and Sally, because I didn't know if he and the girl would be rocky or not. :/

And thats pretty much it for now, so, once again, THANKYOU sooooooo much for being awesome i you read all that, and I don't blame you for hating me and thinking I'm a loser if you want.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I said MOVIES, NOT SLURPEES!
BadWolf
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008 09:30:20 AM »

Hm, that is rather complicated. I'll have to think on this. BRB.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gsmo_mydarlings
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008 04:12:54 PM »

Hey
So i read your post. That is a pretty twisted story..
But idk.
If you've liked him for so long....then you must have very many reasons why you like him so much right? Why not make a scrapbook out of it? And if along the way you rememmber some of your inside jokes put those somewhere in there. I mean..its not an original idea. But he probably doesnt know all of the reasons you care about him so much. So if you let him know itll be special to him.
Or you could put reasons why you love him with each reason on a playing card. And then take the whole deck of cards. And hide them in a little book. [if youve seen posts where people cut little areas out of the pages of books] Then just hide them in there. Theyre cute ideas.
Hopeflly ive helped a little?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dem

I love yarn ever so much.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008 09:18:45 PM »

I have this super cute little NBC locket.
It has jacks face on the front and in the inside, jack on one side and sally on the other.
You could fiddle with that idea.
Find a very small round locket.
put it on a leather cord maybe, something masculine.
Then put a jack and sally pic on one side and a you and him pic on the other?

Just a thought.
I have no idea if your guy wears jewelry.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008 09:31:06 PM »

does he own a key board scarf yet?
I Married a band geek and have a 12 year old who is one two. and they both love these. You also can make then with polar fleece if you can't find one in the stores.
Marching band equals needing good socks my daughter likes ones with stuff on them (husband is too old for that now). and most anything with his instument on it like ties for concert dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008 07:41:02 AM »

Ok, I'm going to suggest you go with a stenciled tshirt involving one of your inside jokes OR the playing cards idea someone posted up ^ there OR cookies that have his name and yours spelled out in decorations.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008 05:30:42 PM »

Try to avoid being overly sappy at all costs-- it's just too early, and it sounds like it took awhile to get where you are, so the last thing you want is to overdo it! Unless, I suppose, he's a very sentimental guy; I'm just guessing he's not because sentimental guys are not the majority. Pay attention in the next couple of weeks to things he says he wants or needs. When I first got together with my boyfriend, I had NO idea what to get him for Valetine's Day, which was our first gift-giving holiday. I ended up getting him a print I knew he liked, and it's in the apartment we share today (I kinda hate it, but oh well). I guess what I'm trying to say is...a functional gift, or a gift that shows you're paying attention, is probably most appropriate. There can be a time and a place for a gift that you spent hours and hours making, as well as a gift that you'd be disappointed if he didn't wear, etc. There's plenty of time for that later. Maybe write something sweet in the card but don't feel obligated to display your love all over the present.

All that being said! I think the NBC doll is a cute idea, especially considering it's actually a Christmas present. Do you have any idea how extravagant/sentimental his gift to you is going to be?

P.S. I just saw this idea in the "What do I make for ______?" thread. b2j2fitz suggested making a personalized Rubix cube: all you do is make a lot of mini pictures or divide one picture up into 9 (...that's how many squares to a side, right?) squares and print them on sticker paper. Then just stick each sticker onto each square. Doesn't sound too hard, and only requires a minimum of 6 pictures (or 54...if you have that many), and you could do a mixture of pictures of the two of you and pictures of things you both like/inside jokes. I dunno, it seems cute without being all red roses and bubble baths.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008 05:48:08 PM by time_warp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
hxbananaxmxs
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008 06:53:18 PM »

ksjdfghajdfadfg.
Thank you guys sooooo much for all your help, and your wonderful ideas.

You all are super inspiring Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I said MOVIES, NOT SLURPEES!
sparkleball lady
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008 06:07:41 PM »

I agree about boys not liking sentimental or anything too personal.  Especially when things are so new.  I'd go with fun or funny.  Boys--  my 25 yr old son and my 40 yr old husband and every boyfriend I ever had-- love funny greeting cards or cool stuff like toys.

My vote is for a sparkleball.  My niece made her boyfriend one and he loved it. You can make a mini-one (www.sparkleball.com/mini.htm) or a big sparkleball www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=279866.0 .  Here's a video of a "dancing" sparkleball in action: http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CherinJerry/?action=view&current=100_3260.flv

Monica with mini-sparkleball

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you have but what you do with it that matters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Our Top Picks From the Prabal Gurung For Target Collection
What to Wear for Super Bowl Sunday to Look Chic
Our Favorite Lauren Conrad Outfits in Honor of Her 27th Birthday
3 Chic Ways to Wear a Sweater Dress
How to Sport the Checkered Trend Like Jessica Alba and Kristen Stewart
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...