A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: learn to knit kit?  (Read 961 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hollycopter381
« on: November 23, 2008 01:04:54 AM »

I want to learn how to knit and am going to have to teach myself.
I was just curious as to which would be the best way to begin.
There are kits at michaels
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0044&channelid=
and i was curious whether it would be a good idea.
My problem is that i dont know what i need to start. Size of needles? type of yarn? and all the extra little things.
I tried to ask a woman at michaels and she looked at me like i was crazy and walked off.  Undecided and all the books at barnes and noble just confused me more.

Thanks in advance<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you aint havin a good time , you are wasting your time." -RZA

I Love Swaps!
http://www.wists.com/Hollycost
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Hollycost
angeltreats
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008 02:31:35 AM »

When I re-learned to knit after a very long time of not doing it, I ordered some yarn from the internet that I liked the look of, and ordered the size of needles that the yarn recommended (usually it will say on the ball band).  And I found some instructions on the internet.  I think those kits are usually quite expensive for what you get.  You don't need any extra little things till you start following patterns, when you might want a row counter, cable needles, etc but just to start off you don't need them straight away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008 06:21:03 AM »

I wouldn't recommend a kit.  I would say to start with a yarn that you think feels nice and looks pretty, and make a scarf.  Buy the size needles that the yarn calls for (although I would say shoot for size 7-8 minimum--you don't want your first project to take years!).  I started out with a fun fur scarf on size 11's, although I'm not sure if the fun fur idea was the best, because it can be really hard to see the stitches you are knitting.

As for instructions, nothing beats www.knittinghelp.com for me.  There are videos so you can see exactly what to do, instead of trying to guess from pictures.  Also, if you have any friends who knit, ask them for help.  Good luck and happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008 07:48:34 AM »

You can just buy a skein of yarn and some needles for much less and that's all you need to get started. The instructions for what to do with them can be found in the videos at knittinghelp.com and there are also videos at youtube. The other items are very inexpensive purchased on their own and you probably won't need them to get started. I might suggest using size 10 needles however instead of 6 and 8. New knitters tend to knit rather tightly and the larger needles make it easier to see the stitches. As does light to medium colored yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008 09:44:21 AM »

...a skein of yarn and some needles .... size 10 needles ...light to medium colored yarn.
Very good advice.

Let me add that knitting is a skill you need to Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice
Before you begin, you should know that there are two methods of knitting, but it doesn't matter which one you use.  The method merely determines how you hold the yarn. 

Continental or European style (the one I prefer because it was the one my mother taught me when I was 6 or 7). 

Pick and Throw style (most preferred here in the US).  Most U.S. instructions are probably pick and throw.

The stitches are identical, regardless of the style you choose. 

Learn how to:
(1) Cast-on (there are several methods from which to choose; learn one.)
(2) Knit
(3) Purl
(4) Increase
(5) Decrease
(5) Bind-off

This 85 percent of what you'll ever need to know.  When you've mastered these five skills, you can acquire more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
pryor_k
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008 10:11:34 AM »

I agree with the advice of buying one skein of yarn and a set of needles to determine if you like knitting first. You could borrow a beginner's knitting book from the library if you would like to take your knitting with you, and use the on-line references for added help, especially the videos.  If you find that you do like knitting, I would recommend buying the kit. I learned to knit with this type of kit which I got on sale.  Years later I still use the tools (knit gauge, stitch markers, needles: knitting and cable, etc.) that were included.  That will save money in the long run.  I found the illustrations and instructions in the book easy to follow.  If the cost of the kit is a concern, Michael's has been including 40% off coupons in its mailers, at least in my area of southern California, as it usually does during this time of year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollycopter381
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008 12:37:18 AM »

knittinghelp.com looks alot better than the books i was reading.

I plan a making a trip to michaels tomorrow.. (or today i guess since its 2am) since ill have some time to devote to it.

AND if anything comes for it i will definitely post it.

Thank you all so much, you were more than helpful.<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you aint havin a good time , you are wasting your time." -RZA

I Love Swaps!
http://www.wists.com/Hollycost
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Hollycost
TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008 07:48:35 AM »

The lionbrand website also has some good, clear instructions on learning to knit. Good luck with it and have fun  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wendie
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008 10:23:24 AM »

Speaking as a person who taught herself to knit. DONT BUY THE KIT.  I got a kit thinking it would be the best approach.  The instructions and pictures were so bad I couldn't even figure out how to cast on.  I ended up buying another book.  The books I taught myself out of were the Stitch n Bitch and the Readers Digest Complete Guide to Needlework.  I still use these two as my main reference books even with all the other books I have bought over the years. Everyone else is right as well.  Get some yarn you like and buy the needle size the yarn says to use.  If you get something like Red Heart Super Saver yarn, you'll have tons to work with and a good solid yarn.  Don't try to teach yourself with a super delicate yarn that will break, split or cause frustration.  When I taught myself I didn't have access to the internet so it was all out of books but I have started using the internet more as I have started doing more advanced techniques.   If all else fails.  Go to your local LYS, find a mom and pop one, not a Micheals or Hobby Lobby and ask for help, they are great and usually super good at getting someone set up.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008 11:35:32 AM »

I'm not a knitter, but this summer I taught myself to crochet using The Happy Hooker. I'd go with Stitch 'N Bitch because I know The Happy Hooker has AWESOME directions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Basket Maker Mary May
How to Weave Baskets with Mary May
Meet Ceramic Artist John Cheer
Meet Handcrafted Soap Artist La Shonda Tyree
How to Crochet a Boa Flower Scarf Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...