A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Washers: A Beach Game by Drunken River Guides for Everyone!  (Read 1584 times)
Tags for this thread: game , beach , screen  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 14, 2010 02:55:31 PM »

The ManFlesh learned a beach game called washers from a friend who is a former river guide when The Dudes were traveling in Panama a couple years ago.  He taught me at when we were at the beach last summer.  It's an easy game to play and score and all it takes is a sandy surface (preferably wet/packed), 8 metal washers and 2 PVC couplers (not pictured) just a smidgen larger than the the washers' diameter.

ANYWAY, The ManFlesh had been keeping his Panama-purchased "set" in a plastic store bag that filled with sand and didn't dry out very nicely.  So I made this bag out of fiberglass insect screen that was scrap material from a glazier I know.

I just sewed it on my machine and reinforced the seams with bias tape from my stash.

I had this tiny double-fold bias tape that worked out perfectly for reinforcing the opening for the drawstring.

This is a two person or two team game and you need to be able differenciate the two players'/teams' washers in the goal area.  We had a hard time doing this with his sets because the sharpie stripe would wear off pretty easily.  So I got 2 more sets at the industrial hardware store (+1 to replace a lost one in his existing set) and then painted them with spray paint which will hopefully last longer. 

I chose copper and purple because purple is his favorite color, I thought they'd show up well against wet sand AND I already had these colors.   Wink

This was his Valentine's Day gift and he LOVED it.  YEY!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckyheartscrafting
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010 04:29:12 PM »

I had to google the rules since I never heard of this--the rules are pretty much like cornhole!  If you aren't from the midwest, it's a beanbag toss game; basically a large-scale version of this game.  Great for drinking in the backyard  Wink  Could be a fun game for you guys (if you haven't played it already!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010 04:56:32 PM »

I had to google the rules since I never heard of this--the rules are pretty much like cornhole!  If you aren't from the midwest, it's a beanbag toss game; basically a large-scale version of this game.  Great for drinking in the backyard  Wink  Could be a fun game for you guys (if you haven't played it already!)

I have played cornhole!  But only once and several years ago so I'd forgotten the rules.  I imagine that this is based on cornhole, but like a travel version as the parts take up only a few cubic inches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cre8ivegenes
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010 08:37:05 AM »

OK I'm bookmarking this for a gift for my Florida Family! I love how it travels. They all live on lakes and go the the beach all the time!
I love the mesh bag you made and the colors you painted the washers. Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010 10:48:01 AM »

OK I'm bookmarking this for a gift for my Florida Family! I love how it travels. They all live on lakes and go the the beach all the time!
I love the mesh bag you made and the colors you painted the washers. Great Job!

Thanks!  I'd love to see yours when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Wildest Facial We Ever Tried
Leighton Meester Shares Her Favorite Beauty Products
How to Make a Yogurt Mask At Home
How to Do a Tuxedo Mani
​The Best Black Friday and Cyber Monday Beauty Deals
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...