A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cath Kidston Bird and Flower Oilcloth Ipod Case! Now with PATTERN/TUTE!!  (Read 8014 times)
Tags for this thread: oilcloth , cath_kidston , ipod , case , gingham , bird , popper , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roonwit
« on: November 22, 2008 08:51:35 AM »

My sister inherited an Ipod from her boyfriend when he upgraded his. As it happens her birthday was approaching so I decided to make her an Ipod cover. She loves Cath Kidston fabric so that was the obvious choice and I decided on oilcloth because it'll stand up to the rigours of banging around in the bottom of her bag better than normal cotton.
This little project took me HOURS! And hours of sewing in an odd position can do funny things to a girl. After one such marathon stint I found myself at work unable to breathe properly because the muscles in the front of my neck had seized up so much it felt like knives were stabbing me when I tried to breathe in! I was faint and couldn't feel my hands so my friend Randolph whisked me off to A&E. Actually we walked there, and on reflection if you can walk three miles to hospital you probably don't need to be there. Heigh ho! It's just an illustration of how much of a mission this project was!
Anyway, she likes it, even though it was late!
I lined it with purple gingham for a bit of zing and there's some padding between the layers for shape and to cushion the Ipod.
Back (Note mother of pearl effect popper!):

Inside:

Top:

Bottom:

Comments and criticism appreciated!!  Grin

Here is the pattern as requested. I will try my best to describe how I made the ipod cover below Smiley

I used three fabrics:
1. An oilcloth for the outer. You could use any sturdy fabric, not necessarily oilcloth the only thing I would say about oilcloth is that its mean to sew, but its been in my sisters bag for over a year and it still looks pretty much how it did in the photos above.
2. A padding for the middle. To give some protection from knocks and make it look neater. I trimmed it right down in the seam allowance so it wouldnt be too bulky. Also I didnt have it in the part over the screen/ front area of the Ipod because that was already covered with the outer flap.
3. A lining. I used gingham for a colour contrast. This fabric needs to be thinner than the outer and soft so it doesnt rub the Ipod.
I used Nylon thread for the sewing for strength.

I didnt do any inside out sewing as you would for a garment and lining. This is because the edges wouldnt have been sharp enough and it was too fiddly a shape for sewing and folding inside out. I basically folded over the edge of the oilcloth and the lining and sewed them along right next to the edge by machine.

I started from the side with the screen and touchpad openings. In the pattern I have left a three centimetre seam allowance at the opposite end to this. This is because with the differences in fabric thickness its hard to be precise about how much fabric youll need. So its best to start at the complicated end and measure measure measure as you go so that the holder fits your Ipod. If you need extra fabric at the other end, its there.

I fitted the case on the Ipod after every bit of sewing I did. This is the only way youll get it to fit, especially round the screen, as thats a bit fiddly. It has a tendency to stretch at the opening where the screen is. Its not too bad on mine, but if thatll bother you, you might like to sew a bit of clear acetate or something in that opening. Just check you can see the screen through it before you do. The circle touchpad opening doesnt have a problem with stretching.

Remember to sew in the bottom and top joining pieces in the front as you go. You can see from the photos where they are supposed to be. I left a gap in the seam at the back, did all the finishing and added the popper, and the last thing I did was attached the top and bottom pieces to the back (in between the outer and lining) which made the holder 3D instead of flat.

I used blanket stitch around the screen and around the circular opening. With Nylon thread. I like the effect it gives, but it could be sewn any way you like. Blanket stitch instructions - http://primrosedesign.blogspot.com/2006/11/stitch-school-blanket-stitch.html Youll probably need to clip the circular opening more than is shown on the pattern to get a smooth circle.

Ive drawn the pattern as a mirror image of the cover I made (thats pretty much me all over) so if you want it opening from the right then cut it how it appears in the pattern, if you want it opening from the left (as in a Western book and my Ipod case, and most peoples instinctive opening style) then either reverse in printing or cut the fabric pattern side down. Sorry!

Thats pretty much it. Its a really fiddly job, but it makes a fantastic Christmas present for a special person.

This is the first tutorial/pattern that Ive made. Ive tried to make it as good as I can, and I hope there arent any problems with it, but if there are I would appreciate feedback so I can alter it. Oh, and I'd love to see the results if anyone makes it!

PS. When you download the pattern to print it from Craftster it becomes a little fuzzy if you want a better quality copy just ask and I can email you one.

Thanks for reading and good luck!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009 06:01:11 AM by roonwit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deep down I'm pretty superficial - Ava Gardner
MissVelcro
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008 09:08:36 AM »

Too cute! A great job with love in every stitch! You should be proud   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doaflip
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008 09:44:06 AM »

Ooh, pretty and practical! I'm sure your sis will love it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tumblr      Etsy     Twitter
angeltreats
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008 10:16:59 AM »

That is absolutely lovely!  I love Cath Kidston fabric and I really like your design.

I do NOT envy you sewing oilcloth by hand though  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008 11:43:26 AM »

really cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laughing Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008 10:21:10 PM »

That is super cute! I love how professional it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roonwit
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008 04:27:19 AM »

Thanks so much people! That's nice to hear  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deep down I'm pretty superficial - Ava Gardner
kona13kloe3

life is nothing without creativity

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009 07:49:32 AM »

would you mind posting a pattern please?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~continuous crafter <3~
whitneydsmith
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009 08:50:29 AM »

This looks great! I think I'll be making one or two of these for stockings this year! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destiny7877
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009 11:06:51 AM »

You did a wonderful job. Love the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katy Perry Vs. Kelly Osbourne: Who Rocks The Purple Hair Better?
How to Get "Gossip Girl" Waves
Learn How to Do a Dutch Braid
Vidal Sassoon Hair Guru and Mr. Wash and Go Dies
How to Create the Rockettes French Twist Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...