A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help making Fleur de Sel caramels  (Read 1326 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jaberella
« on: November 21, 2008 01:10:12 PM »

I've now tried twice, am using a candy thermometer and follow the directions as stated. This is the recipe:

Ingredients:
    * 1 cup heavy cream
    * 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    * 1 teaspoon fleur de sel*
    * 1 1/2 cups sugar
    * 1/4 cup light corn syrup
    * 1/4 cup water

* Special equipment: parchment paper; a deep-fat thermometer

Preparation

Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, then lightly oil parchment.

Bring cream, butter, and fleur de sel to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and set aside.

Boil sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, without stirring but gently swirling pan, until mixture is a light golden caramel.

Carefully stir in cream mixture (mixture will bubble up) and simmer, stirring frequently, until caramel registers 248F on thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour into baking pan and cool 2 hours. Cut into 1-inch pieces, then wrap each piece in a 4-inch square of wax paper, twisting 2 ends to close.

OK, so both times I have made this recipe they don't set. They never harden at all and I am left with a pan of tacky goop (that tastes really good though). Why aren't they setting?? I honestly know nothing about making caramels but I feel like if I follow the instructions it should work, no?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starspinner

hope is a plague that should be carried with pride

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008 05:32:03 AM »

they won't be hard caramels because of the corn syrup and butter, maybe even the cream. those ingredients keep it the chewy caramel consistency instead of hard like a brittle caramel base. when i make caramel i never even swirl the pan, and i quickly whisk in the rest of the ingredients. you might just want to try a different recipe, though, if it botched twice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008 06:31:32 AM »

When i make my carmels i use cream, but i don't heat it before adding it, i also make sure that the sugar mixture gets up to 232* before adding the cream, and then cook it to 242*. these make for chewy at room temperature carmels.

i think these carmels you are trying to make are supposed to be the same consistency, if that's the case then you may not be getting the sugar up to temperature before adding the cream. when i started making carmels i had this problem, my carmels never set because i didn't cook the sugar high enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
monica_thompson
It's Momica! Mother to everyone--whether they like it or not!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008 06:51:18 AM »

mmmm..please tell me you poured the goopy caramel goo into jars with fancy labels that say "fleur de sel caramel sauce" and are giving it to all the icecream lovers on your list.
Because otherwise I'm sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grant me the strength, endurance, and focus to see it through.
jaberella
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008 10:21:23 AM »

mmmm..please tell me you poured the goopy caramel goo into jars with fancy labels that say "fleur de sel caramel sauce" and are giving it to all the icecream lovers on your list.
Because otherwise I'm sad.

I didn't, because it had the consistency of snot. I kept wanting to eat it anyway and pulling off gooey loops of it and eating it and it was such a disgusting consistency that I chucked it... again.

I'm not looking for them to be HARD caramels, I am looking to be able to cut them Smiley they have been so loose that they are still liquid. Maybe I wasn't totally clear on that. Think SNOT.

I also wonder if I haven't gotten the sugar up to temperature before adding the cream mixture because I never seem to get it golden color. It never seems to brown up. Stays very, very light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008 12:57:06 PM »

ahh 'snot good... Grin

yeah if they're still liquid-y then you didn't get the sugar hot enough before you added the cream. your recipe is kinda vague about the temperature that it should get to, 'golden in color' is a little too loose for interpretation~ but i would get it up to at least 232, and if it's not brownish i would keep cooking it until it's got some color.

worst thing that could happen is that you over-cook them and they become harder than they should be
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
jaberella
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008 01:07:26 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice. I will try one last time! I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaberella
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008 01:41:49 PM »

I did it, I did it!! Thank you to Ryoruki for your advice. Mmmmmmmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008 02:25:02 PM »

:O ! i'm glad that it worked this time :3 enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008 02:35:54 PM »

From the top I was betting it was going to be a not-cooking-the-sugar-enough issue! Glad you got it sorted out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to get a New Look for Your Hair
How to Get Sexy Hair Waves with a Hair Straightener
How to Create Sexy Waves with a Ceramic Hair Flat Iron
How to Get Silky Smooth Straight Hair
How to Care for Your Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...