A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mr. Owl Experience: includes commentary on interfacing, stabilizing and more  (Read 1996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kermitt6
"The Shiv"

I am the poster child for inertia.

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2008 12:32:04 PM »

I'd like to introduce Mr. Owl. I drafted this from scratch. Oh yes, it took FORever. My sister-in-law wanted a bag out of Amy Butler home dec fabric BUT I wasn't going to do a test run with that spendy $15/yd business. So I needed to make a muslin out of cheaper fabric. I've never done satin stitch applique. I've never used Solvy Water Soluble Stabilizer. I've never b4 used the infamous woven fusible interfacing Pellon SF101. I've never used fusible fleece. I've never put in a zipper pocket. So I thought, why not make this muslin count. I dragged out some $2/yd bits and pieces and I tried everything! I learned so much! Too much!!!

The final bag has got some rough edges but it's pretty usable all things considered. I gained some serious knowledge about SewPixie's fabulous zipper tutorial. Please click on the link to see a step it helps to know when doing this pocket: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11808.msg3164427#msg3164427 
Snaps to SewPixie for turning out a super tutorial for something tricky for newbies. SewPixie: that is one classic tutorial. Thank you.

What I learned that I give to you to do what you will with:
1) Fusible Fleece is a fascinating product. It worked great for the strap and would be really fun for the body of a quilted bag. I used a dry iron at the hottest temp. If you push too hard to get it to fuse you will lose most if not all it's loft. Trim it out of your seam allowances... it doesn't work well in the seams. Little glue dots/chips are everwhere after cutting and use. You'll be dusting them off your cutting table and ironing board for many moons. (I should clarify that the fusible fleece I used was likely HTC. I've since been informed that the Pellon Fusible Fleece Joann's is currently hocking bears little resemblance to the lofty quiltable stuff they used to sell.)

2)SF101 is a beast that I own 25 yards of. It's really the cheap and dirty option in the woven fusible world. I really don't like it but it's what is there... and cheap. It bubbles like mad. It shrinks the pieces of fabric considerably more than it should. It is weak and I wish it were dead. I know you need to press down for 10 seconds and not glide. I know you need use a wet pressing cloth over the back of the fusible. It doesn't matter too much in the end. I did however cut one corner I shouldn't have. Cut the fusible and the fabric from the pattern. I believe that cutting fusible from the pattern and then ironing the fusible directly onto the yardage (and then cutting out the piece) may have messed me up. I didn't know any better! (I have a bit of this other fancy woven fusible interfacing that I acquired at Stone Mountain and Daughter in Berkeley for approx. $6 a yard. Flat weave. Evenly applied glue. You can cut out pieces of it and iron directly on your yardage. It's a pricey dream boat that I'm hoarding. Go get your own!  Grin)

3)Wonder Under is the most fabulous heat bond in the universe! Well I think it is. I haven't tried the cheapies I've acquired at Joann's. Everything bonded directly and evenly. So fab!

4) I was told later that interfacing your fabric before you stitch on the applique is not smart. The stiffness did lend a helpful hand with process though. Forcing the needle to punch through three layers of fabric, two layers of glue, and one layer of water soluble stabilizer may not have been wise but it was unexpectedly utilitarian and stiff for a newbie.  Tongue

5) Sulky Solvy Water Soluble Stabilizer is good stuff for satin stitched applique but it's not flat when you buy it in a roll. Actually it's quite puckery and tweaky. If you don't figure out a way to flatten it will curve the fabric you are using it under... and pucker your design! Ouch!  Angry Cutting off the "selvage" or edges usually helps.

Onto "The Mr. Owl Experience":

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008 11:11:11 AM by kermitt6 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wendellina

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008 12:35:54 PM »

Verrry cute.  Thanks for the great information.  The fabric for his body is one of my favorites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008 12:49:25 PM »

I love Mr. Owl!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Cealy
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008 12:50:44 PM »

So, where's the zipper? lol

Lovely job! I am at awe with your satin stitching abilities. Mine always come out with white blobs showing through the threads-hence, I rarely do it anymore!

C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kermitt6
"The Shiv"

I am the poster child for inertia.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008 12:55:30 PM »

So, where's the zipper? lol

Lovely job! I am at awe with your satin stitching abilities. Mine always come out with white blobs showing through the threads-hence, I rarely do it anymore!

C

Sorry about that Cealy. I linked to a thread about my journey with SewPixie's zipper pocket so I was worried to be redundant. Ever a completist I have added it to the image line.

p.s. thanks for the love on this one. i credit the clean satin stitching more to my Viking than me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008 01:02:31 PM by kermitt6 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
IheartNurses33

Be nice I could be your nurse someday :0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008 01:06:11 PM »

awesome job! I really love the owl  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008 08:13:41 PM »

absolutly beautiful bag
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008 07:09:53 AM »

Oh my word...that is just gorgeous!!!  Your satin stitching is divine, Viking or not, it does take skill, I think!  Cheesy  The fabric combos are great and I really like the bag design, too.  Is that a pattern, or your own design?  Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
teaanddigestives
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008 02:29:13 PM »

Gorgeous colours and bag shape and a big thank you for the commentary; really useful tips Smiley What I love most is Mr Owl's mischievous expression!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cindygert
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008 02:13:47 AM »

Very cute.  All your hard work paid off......big!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cindygert.com
www.cindygert.etsy.com

Please become a fan of cindygert on my Face Book page.
http://www.facebook.com/cindygert?ref=nf
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Japanese Calligraphy Art
Supervillain Origins: The Shocker
Self-Portrait by Charlene Lanzel
Wonder Woman by Charlene Lanzel
Edie Superstar by Charlene Lanzel
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...