A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric/project compatibility.... Stretch friendly?  (Read 519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 21, 2008 09:09:45 AM »

I wanna make a duffle style bag from this totally rock'n tropical floral mid-weight cotton stretch fabric I have.. one problem the slight crossgrain stretch. Okay, maybe it's a bit more than "slight" but DEF no where as stretchy as jersy knits but probably as much stretch as a pair of store bought jeans or slacks (capris) that are labled "stretch", You know the type right?. The question is... Since the duffle will have a liner (probably a heavier twill or canvas) should I really worrry much about the stretch factor?

I thought this might be a suitable topic for this forum because, couldn't you sew or apply relatively stretchy (not knits, but other cotton blends and twills and such) fabric to a non stretch stabilizer i.e interfacing or canvas or duck and make it "non stretch" in a sense? Just a thought... This isn't what I plan to do with the project, but what got me thinking about the liner being the primary weight bearer and the stretch fabric not being all stretched outta wack from the contents. I hope I explained that well.

There's the fabric in question....

Posted in Handbags forum too, just as good measure 80)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008 09:33:37 AM by FLooZySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008 09:33:26 AM »

My guess is it will probably be fine.  If you weren't going to line it, you could fuse some interfacing to the wrong size to make it a little sturdier and eliminate the stretch, or underline with a non-stretchy fabric (cut duplicates of all the piece, but put them together and treat them as one piece when you sew).  The lining will probably keep it from getting stretched out in this case, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008 10:58:15 AM »

Depending on the lining you use (how strong it is), you may want to underline it, as well, but it ought to work just fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008 01:14:23 PM »

AWWWW, Thanks ya'll for the input and confirming for me what I suspected would work all along!

I love this place!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008 01:34:16 PM by FLooZySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_abi
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008 01:18:58 PM »

I agree, it should work, as long as you're lining it in some way:

• fusible interfacing on the stretchy fabric
  • wonder-under the 2 fabrics together and treat as one (what I would do)
  • baste the 2 fabrics together and treat as one
  • try a stabilizer, though...aren't they meant to wash off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
FLooZySue

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008 01:32:35 PM »

• try a stabilizer, though...aren't they meant to wash off?

Thanks lil_abi.... Oh I meant "stabilize" in the most basic sense, as in something that would make the first fabric more stiff and not able to stretch (lol, u know More stable  Wink ), the wash-away stuff certainly would not work. Basting, as you mentioned is REALLY what I was thinking (a few Amy butler patterns I used called for basting light weight fabrics to canvas, it worked out well), but I like the idea of fusing two fabrics with WonderUnder...I hadn't thought of that one yet.

I'm a glutton for making projects more complex though, LOL, so I reckon the route with the liner will be the way I will go..... But I'm DEF enjoying the input on all of the other ideas that do not involve a lining, I may just give one of those a shot as well! 80)
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    lil_abi
    « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008 02:06:12 PM »

Oh, okay.  I've never worked with stabilizer, so I didn't know your intentions. 

If you're gonna put the 2 fabrics together with basting, make sure you line those guys up and pin the daylights out of them.  The stretchy one will have a tendency to become longer.  I might even hand-baste so you can have control without having to fight the presser foot and the feed dog.  (Isn't sewing lingo fun?!)  But then again, that's time consuming.  Which is where my friend wonder-under comes in.  YAY!  My mother and I have both made lined bags that way out of lighter weight fabrics, with good results. 
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
    Aislynn

View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008 02:53:27 PM »

(Isn't sewing lingo fun?!) 

You have no idea!  My husband is always disappointed when I talk about feed dogs, presser feet, and WonderUnder...he gets all excited because it sounds nifty...and then it's "just sewing".   Cheesy

I second the WonderUnder, though...hadn't thought of that, but it's a terrific idea!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLooZySue

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008 05:49:28 PM »

(Isn't sewing lingo fun?!) 

You have no idea!  My husband is always disappointed when I talk about feed dogs, presser feet, and WonderUnder...he gets all excited because it sounds nifty...and then it's "just sewing".   Cheesy

LOL! I know EXACTLY what cha mean..... "sewing = boooorrring" to the DH, until it comes time to make something super cool for him or he discovers I've sold something. Then it's like "WOW you actually got money for sewing stuff?" and I'm like "DUH honey, I gots Skillz!!" .... He's so sweet but like many Dh's, I suspect, doesn't get our needs for creative outlets and how we pour our hearts into the things we make.

I love you sweetie, Um please don't use THESE scissors for cardboard.... Thanks Love.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    Aislynn

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008 06:10:58 PM »

Oh, my goodness, the scissors!  He officially thinks I'm certifiable, because I won't let him use my scissors on paper or plastic.  He just doesn't get it.  He really thinks I'm nuts, and making it up...

But yeah...when I make him something, it's the greatest hobby in the world.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
    Pages: [1] Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
    Plum and Apple Cobbler Recipe
    How to Make Marshmallows Dipped in Chocolate
    The History of Sweetheart Candies
    Football Field Dessert Recipe for Super Bowl
    Latest Blog Articles
    Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
    @Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
    DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...