A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,168
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First corset-for a friend's birthday gift. Lots of photos(new one); semi-tute.  (Read 3569 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celticchrys
« on: November 21, 2008 07:50:58 AM »

I've managed to make a corset for the first time, as a birthday gift for a friend.  I spent a lot of time before-hand reading about corsets, on craftster and elsewhere.
I read everything here:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/corsets/

Then I drafted a pattern using this method:
http://www.threadbanger.com/post/5651/corset-pattern

but for my construction I used a hybrid of this:
http://www.threadbanger.com/post/5655/how-to-make-a-corset

and this:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/corsets/corset1.html

New addition(April 2009).  The corset being worn by the birthday girl:

I did use spiral steel boning, purchased from ebay, but I only boned it lightly. 
I used two lines of boning along each side of the front and back, and did not use a busk.  I also used grommets.  This corset was intended to look cool and give light support, not for real waist-reduction or anything that dramatic.

For the inside, I used black canvas.  Here is the spiral steel sitting on top of the black canvas:

For the outside, I found this lovely fabric at JoAnn's that was black satin embroidered with red flowers.

Before I but out the pattern, I covered the entire back side of this satin fabric with fusible interfacing to add strength.  It took a while!  Since this seemed like delicate fabric, every time I pressed it, I used a dish-towel between the iron and the satin.

I made my pattern, a la Threadbanger, and cut it out, being very sure to add on enough for seam allowance.  Remember, the Threadbanger pattern does not include seam allowance! I sewed it together (wrong sides of fabric together of course) across the bottom and up the front and back edges, leaving the top un-sewn.  I turned it right-side out and pressed it.

Leaving enough space to later put in grommets, I sewed two lines of stitching up where I wanted the front and back boning to go.  This makes a channel you can slide the bones into from the top.  I did the same for the rest of the boning.

Once the bones were in their channels(talk about sore hands after cutting and capping those bones!), I laid the grommets out on the canvas side of the corset where I wanted them to go.  I used a white charcoal pencil to put dots in those spots.  Try this on a scrap first.  Trying this on a scrap, I realized it was important to make my holes going through from the canvas side, as when I started from the satin side, it tended to put runs in the satin.  Do not put grommets more than 1 inch apart, so there will not be gapping places later when the corset is worn. 

An important word about making the holes!  Learn from my mistake and never try to use one side of a sharp new pair of sewing scissors to make the holes!   Embarrassed  The scissors will suddenly slip right through the fabric and slice through your finger on the way.  I ended with a nasty gash on my finger and had to stop the project for a week to heal, and I've a nice scar on my index finger to remind me.   Roll Eyes

After recovery, I made my holes by first pushing in a seam ripper's sharp point, then sliding in the tip of a sharp pair of cuticle scissors and opening then to widen the hole. So simple, much safer, and worked quite well.

Once you have your holes and grommets taken care of, then you need to finish the top edge.  I used wide grosgrain ribbon, folded over.

Now here are a few pictures of the finished item!  Perhaps later I can manage to add one of the birthday girl wearing it, but for now, just the garment.

The back:

Back detail:

The front:

What would I do differently?  Next time, I would change the design so that it doesn't lace up both front and back.  While this looks great, it's more of a challenge to get on and off.  So if you're concentrating on looks, this is neat, but if you want to get it on and off quickly, only use lacings on one side.    Wink

I went very slowly with every step, scared to ruin that beautiful fabric, but it's not as bad as you think.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009 07:24:49 PM by celticchrys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinderblast
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008 08:28:26 AM »

I would never have guessed it was your first. Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008 08:29:48 AM »

That fabric is beautiful!  I would love to see what it actually looks like on.  And maybe your friend can permantly lace the back and just lace the front from then on?  Beautiful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingscared
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008 08:44:37 AM »

Grin  This is really amazing! First time too! Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatebutton
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008 12:17:13 PM »

the patience you must have! jeez.. i don't blame you for going slow. love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008 01:42:02 PM »

It's really pretty  Grin
Love the fabric
About the lacing, if you only have lacing on the back it is even more difficult to get in and out of the corset. If you would have a busk or a strong zipper in front, it would be easier to get in and out of the corset.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merlina
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008 02:06:19 PM »

Beautiful work!! It's clear that you made it carefully. Your friend will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008 04:56:44 AM »

yeah, i'd never do or buy a corset without a busk. it's just SO much easier!!

but that is an AWESOME corset, kudos! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
misAsphyx

while cartoon like

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008 12:24:14 PM »

yeah, i'd never do or buy a corset without a busk. it's just SO much easier!!

but that is an AWESOME corset, kudos! Smiley

I know what you mean, I've got one of those deadlygirlz ones without a busk and I can't count the amount of times I've had to shout for help to pull it off.

Nice corset by the way, the fabric's really pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MorganMay

nephew and his Dragonheart that I made for him!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008 08:57:51 AM »

Beautiful job!
No one would ever guess that it's your first project.
The fabric and the workmanship are both great.

MorganMay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: Hacking Art and Culture With F.A.T. Lab
Off Book: The Evolution of 8-Bit Art
Off Book: The Birth of the Animated GIF Medium
Off Book: Arts and Creative Projects in the Internet Age
Working with the New Basics Panel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...