A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 308,212
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: jackets and mittens  (Read 1007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silverlife
« on: November 21, 2008 05:41:08 AM »

I have a two part question. The first is about mittens. My 20-month-old son needs mittens. But it's impossible to get his hands into the mittens that have an elastic cuff. So I'm looking for a pattern that has an opening in the cuff of the mitten that will velcro close. I found this one: http://www.sewbaby.com/shopbaby/popup_image.php?pID=4016 but I don't want to pay $9 for a mitten and hat pattern (since I don't need the hat pattern). Is there any pattern that is cheaper?

The second part is about sewing jackets. I have a whole bunch of thinsulate that is too thick to use for a blanket but would probably make a good insulating layer in a jacket for my son. But I've never sewn a jacket with a lining, much less insulation. I have several patterns for various styles of jackets, but none of them have linings. How hard is it to put lining/insulation into a jacket? Are there any tutorials for how to do this? Also, does anyone know where to get a child sized separating zipper for a jacket? I can't find any short enough.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indywriter
I am my grandma's girl

The reason why.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008 07:59:17 PM »

I can't help you with the jacket....

But how about this for a basic mitten:

Please don't be too envious of my mad crayola skillz!

You could cut a single layer of the mittens (4 total) or an outer layer and an inner layer or lining (8 total).  Assemble them as you will... (french seams, lined, or quick and dirty... whatever works for you.)

Then sew the bottom piece on (it could be lined as well).  Essentially this is just a long, skinny rectangle.  I would start sewing opposite the thumb (a.k.a. the pinky side of the hand).  This piece should be long enough to go all the way around the bottem edge of the mitten and still overlap a bit.  On this overlapping edge you could put velcro (and then put the other piece on where ever it matches up).

I can see this clearly in my head, but I'm not sure I described it clearly here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indywriter 
http://www.haleycreations.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/indywriter

------------------<---<--<@
I know a little garden close
Set thick with Lily and red Rose
Where I would wander if I might
From dewy dawn to dewy night.

W. Morris
silverlife
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008 09:32:42 AM »

You described it clearly enough. Now I just need to get my son to hold still long enough to let me trace his hand!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
summerdae
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008 03:01:29 PM »

I maybe totally and completely wrong, but maybe just cut out same pattern for jacket pieces as lining and sew together like that, or trim and adjust where needed?? I'm a lazy sewer, so uhm never done a lining. But that sounds good in my head.  Grin

by the way I'm totally jealous of those mad crayola skills! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silverlife
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008 05:20:40 PM »

I just tried three times to make mittens and the thumb of the mitten winds up way too small, no mater how much ease I add on or how I sew it up. I also can't get the wrist big enough for his hand to fit in. I'm tempted to just put socks on his hands. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwitch
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008 04:14:06 PM »

My son has velcro mittens so maybe I can describe them well enough.
One side has a basic mitten shape with a half circle base, from the outside of the thumb to the far side of the fingers.  The other side looks like a mitten, then it has an added cuff that is longer than the mitten is wide.with velcro on either end.  When the cuff is wrapped around the wrist, the half circle keeps the scratchiness away from the skin.
Also, the base ends up way wider than a hand so it is easy to cram little hands into, and has fit my son for two years!

I added a pic if it helps
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008 04:22:37 PM by ravenwitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008 06:10:11 PM »

I have that sewbaby pattern (yes, I bought it after trying and not getting it right, though I bought it at Joann's, and used a 40% off coupon, so it was more like $5. Considering it will make mittens for him for the next 4-6 years with less than a dollar's worth of fabric for each pair, and those kind of mittens usually run $4-5/pair, it's a bargain). For the wristband, I recommend taking a piece of fleece and wrapping it around his wrist to get a good measurement, then add maybe an inch or two for seams and velcro overlap.  Then take that, blow up ravenwitch's picture, and figure out how big the thumb needs to be (make very small seams on the thumbs, or you'll have to allow double the space for his thumb and the seams).

You could also apply the band to this pattern: http://www.fabriclandwest.com/Fleece_Country/Fleece/fleece_mittens.htm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008 06:22:05 PM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
silverlife
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008 07:19:32 AM »

Thanks for the help! I may try to tackle it again this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...