A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,775
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chunky Fabric Chain! *With Tute!*  (Read 24626 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunnyFace

Let's get out of this country

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2008 10:29:57 PM »

What if you used a piece of light batting or fleece instead of stuffing? That would still give it a "stuffed" look, but you wouldn't have the issue of stuffing it. That isn't really a huge time saver though. Hmmm. You have a really neat idea though!

You might be onto something there! For me, the reason it took so much time was because the pieces were too small to be machine sewn, but perhaps with larger chain links and batting, you could zip it through a machine and skip the stuffing. With the hectic Christmas gifting and shopping finally over, I can finally try some new things with fabric jewelry!

That is so cute! It reminds me of the chunky fabric baby toys that they make, and then YOU want to play with them... I don't mean that in an offensive way, I'm just saying they're really cute!  Cheesy That would be perfect for scrap fabrics... I think gold would be amazing like that!!

Not offended at all! I love kitsch. Haha. You could really rock this in gold fabric, which is what I'm doing now that I have some time to myself post Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
http://carp3di3m.livejournal.com/
gracky
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008 10:08:57 PM »

haha that's such an awesome idea!  i can't wait to see it in gold fabric, it'll be like faux-metal jewelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jewelryhub
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009 06:59:28 AM »

wow these are great! i like all
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009 07:39:50 PM »

There's probably easier, less time-consuming ways to do this, like knitting the chain links if you know how to knit.

The second I saw your necklace, I thought of アクセサリークロッシェ. Check out this picture: http://www.saucylouise.com/images/9784277430807_01.jpg Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009 08:40:33 PM »

There's probably easier, less time-consuming ways to do this, like knitting the chain links if you know how to knit.

The second I saw your necklace, I thought of アクセサリークロッシェ. Check out this picture: http://www.saucylouise.com/images/9784277430807_01.jpg Smiley

The picture link couldn't load, but were you referring to the knitted chain? I saw something like that too, can't remember which label it was, but they were HUUGe siren red knitted chain necklaces that work more like scarves. Really wanna learn how to knit this year! Thanks for the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

hello color!
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2009 04:55:21 PM »

The picture link couldn't load, but were you referring to the knitted chain? I saw something like that too, can't remember which label it was, but they were HUUGe siren red knitted chain necklaces that work more like scarves. Really wanna learn how to knit this year! Thanks for the link!

The picture that doesn't want to show up is the first scan on this page. This book is crocheted stuff (obviously), but I imagine if you want it to be a scarf, knitting would be better suited than crochet. On the other hand, crochet is better for accessories...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Altered Angel

Art Design Jewellery & Gifts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010 07:04:47 PM »

Shocked Wow! That's amazing!  It looks GREAT!  I'd love to give it a try but I'm not really a 'sewer'  - How do you stop the fabric from fraying?  What a brilliant idea, Thanks for sharing.  Did you make anymore fabric jewellery?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunnyFace

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011 08:51:42 AM »

Shocked Wow! That's amazing!  It looks GREAT!  I'd love to give it a try but I'm not really a 'sewer'  - How do you stop the fabric from fraying?  What a brilliant idea, Thanks for sharing.  Did you make anymore fabric jewellery?

Thanks Altered Angel! It's been years since I made this! I haven't actually got round to making more since I started on metalsmithing. But I have made other fabric jewelry and there will be more when I open my online store, hopefully in the next months! I did some fabric origami pieces here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=359658.msg4215212#msg4215212

I blanket stitched the fabric edge so there's not a lot of fraying. And I guess try not to use woven woolly fabrics that fray really easily. If yours is big enough to sew on the machine you can also go round the edge with a small zig zag stitch or an overcasting stitch. Also try not to stuff it too much so the seams won't burst. Or maybe apply a tiny bit of fray preventing liquid like Fray Check. Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

deederann
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011 05:14:41 PM »

this is very interesting! i would have never thought of something like this. very creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Decadent Mac and Cheese, from Ina Garten
A Super Bowl Party Menu, from Ina Garten
Feeding the Super Bowl Crowd, from Martha Stewart
January 12th: Victory Sausage
How to Make a Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...