A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chunky Fabric Chain! *With Tute!*  (Read 24758 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunnyFace

Let's get out of this country

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2008 06:20:42 PM »

It's been quite a long while since I posted! Boy did I take my own sweet time with this. It was started months ago, but you know me, shiny things distract me.
Anyway I've wanted a chunky chain necklace for sometime, but never found one I had to have. I don't like the plastic or metal ones I see around cause I can't stand the idea of dancing at clubs with something heavy around my neck. More than that, I wanna see the ton of scrap fabrics I have put to good use. So this is what I ended up with. They're all hand-stitched and stuffed with hobby fill for that extra chunkiness. So really, it's like a plush necklace.

I can't wait to make more plush jewelry. I got half a metre of a disco gold fabric that would be great for snake bracelets and more necklaces. Perfect for Christmas parties!
Thanks for looking, and happy holidays!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008 10:26:24 AM by FunnyFace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
http://carp3di3m.livejournal.com/
zkatom
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008 06:28:19 PM »

That is sooo cool!   I love it!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollycopter381
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008 06:34:58 PM »

Awesome. Ive never seen anything like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you aint havin a good time , you are wasting your time." -RZA

I Love Swaps!
http://www.wists.com/Hollycost
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Hollycost
Uniqueworn
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008 06:46:13 PM »

wow! that is so cute and creative and awesome AND inspirational! way to start a trend, for real.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
threehang
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008 06:56:43 PM »

I LOVE THIS. I'm hitting This Rocks! I was looking for a project to help destash my scraps! I'm thinking this will inspire me in countless ways :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veggie head 4 life

Chickpeas & peanut butter will feed the world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008 06:58:25 PM »

this is sweet! would you mind a brief how to? i have some bright yellow velour that begs to become a necklace like this.

btw...this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dance through your days........

my fabric-tastic blog
http://agreenbanana.blogspot.com/

Let's be friends!!
http://www.myspace.com/greeeengoooodness
threehang
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008 07:08:56 PM »

and i'm going to have to second the it's-totally-cool-if-you-say-no-request for a how-to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rascalrose
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008 07:59:52 PM »

No doubt ... this rocks.  Driving my eyes crazy trying to find a seam and figure out how you connected the links! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008 08:53:15 PM »

freaking genius!!! that is really amazing what you did. i like it lots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
FunnyFace

Let's get out of this country

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008 10:14:10 PM »

Thanks for the lovely comments, you've all made my day! Smiley

As for a how-to, i'd be more than happy to clue you in. It's a simple but somewhat laborious process. I just cut the rough shape of the chain through two layers of the same fabric, and used a blanket stitch to sew both the inner 'hole' edges and outer edges together. I sew the edges of the inner 'hole' first before moving on to the outer edge. Leave an opening in the outer edge for stuffing (I find it easier to stuff as I stitch). This is chain link A.

Then I cut another chain through two layers of another fabric and did the same thing. But this time, you cut through  the middle of the chain only on the bottom. This is how I am able to connect the links, every alternate link was cut through the middle, like a metal chain link is. This is Chain link B.

After that it's just a matter of connecting chain link B to A and securing the link by stitching the open ends of B through A. To conceal the not so pretty way the B-link is connected, I stitched down the top right corner of link A in place. That's why you can't see from the pictures how the links are connected, the stitches are covered and you can see them on the back.

Finally I made a loop by stitching a length of ribbon from one end of the chain to the other.

Does that make sense to you?

At first I tried to sew the fabric chain pattern right sides together and then turning it inside out before stuffing, the usual plush method. But because they are rather small and tubular (mine are 1.5" by 1") , it made the turning inside out a real bitch (I nearly stabbed my hand with a seam ripper), stuffing wouldn't have been made easier either. Unless you were making an over the top piece with massive chains I'm sure you could machine stitch and turn it inside out easily.

There's probably easier, less time-consuming ways to do this, like knitting the chain links if you know how to knit. If you figure anything out by all means do share! I hope this helps Smiley

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010 04:08:07 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: Added photo of end result » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dying for a swap! PM me!

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
http://carp3di3m.livejournal.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Black Women and Their Hair
Try This Different Take on the Braid
Hair Tips: Customizing Your Curling Iron
2012 Emmy Awards Hairstyle Trends
How to Style Brunette Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...