A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: where are you from  (Read 13750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004 12:45:57 PM »

Hey, I just found the site today, and I am also from Birmingham!  

The America's Thrift Store in Huffman is good, and the Big Saver in Huffman is okay.  I am constantly on the lookout for good magazines for decoupage projects and America's has the best.  They renew their stock on certain days, of which I'm not sure.  My parents are thrift store scavengers as they are big ebay sellers of vintage Fisher Price toys, so they go all over.  I will ask them what their faves are.

As far as retail stores, I frequent Michael's, and when I'm on the other side of town I just love Hobby Lobby.  They have so much stuff.

pvwon-----I did not know that about the Habitat outlet.  That is so awesome.  Also----did or do you go to Montevallo?  Your name leads me to think so.   Wink  I did (and was a purple).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WHATIF
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004 01:15:48 PM »

I live in B'ham, in Homewood.
just found this site yesterday. I buy and scavenge lots of craft materials - more than I ever deal with - thinking of having a yard (apt) sale.

There are lots of home decorating/furnishing stores, art galleries etc close by and I find a lot of interesting stuff on my walks. I love to assemble the craft materials but often run out of steam beore I get a project finished. Still, I get more crafts done than anyone else I know.

I knew there must some more crazycrafters in this city, but this site is the first time I've run across them. I love to make things out of unlikely items.

I collect fabrics, samples of different kinds like wallpaper books, builders samples, framers sample corners (they're so beautiful - what to do with them?). etc etc.
Wish I had a carpentry/refinishing shop and the skills to go with it. And a manager to make me finish my projects.

Arts and crafts are just a fun way to pass the time. My daughter and grandkids live in California so I don't get to see them much. After I get home from work I like to plan my next project (usually someone's birthday present). I've been making aprons lately for my sisters - looking for clever ideas.

Linda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004 11:18:27 AM »

Hey there, Whatif!  I think a "crafter's apron" would be a cool idea.  Little pockets for acrylic paint bottles, brushes, and stuff.  I don't think enough people wear aprons these days.  I think if I had one, I would wear it for sure.  I wish I could sew, but buttons are about as advanced as I get.

Where do you get wallpaper samples?  I have often wondered if at Home Depot when they discontinue selling certain wallpapers if they would give away the old sample books.  Do you know if they do that?  I'd love to have them for my decoupage projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WHATIF
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004 12:05:24 PM »

I live in the midst of interior decorating stores, a couple paint stores. Most of the ones I have came from a paint store. I found them on the sidewalk. I haven't had any luck going around asking for sample books-they don't have any or they're spoken for. They just seem to throw them out when they're ready. But if you get friendly with a store they might save them for you. I wish you lived close by, I'm tired of my wallpaper pieces and  you could have some. I think they change out every year.
I've made some greeting cards and decoupage crafts from them.

I got fabric sample books from a decorating business that  was moving to a different location. I find those thrown out on the sidewalk also.
Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scenequeenpissed

shut up and dance

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004 02:30:40 PM »

I live in Birmingham right now but I'm moving to Wisconsin in a month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004 10:42:21 AM »

Culture shock! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scenequeenpissed

shut up and dance

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004 03:53:34 PM »

speaking of moving - im downsizing the things i own when i leave, so that means leaving behind a ton of random crafting stuff (and those wonderful plastic drawers we love to put everything in) so if anyone lives around birmingham you can come and get it. it's all FREE. i'd have to go through it all to see what i have if you want an idea. i hate to leave it but i just can't drag it all over the u.s. with me anymore. that also means i'm getting rid of a ton of clothes and shoes. and this cheap-mini living room set i bought for whatever reason. there's more stuff too and i'm seirously just giving it away really. i'm trying to only take two suitcases and my sewing machine with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2004 03:42:41 PM »

i'm glad i am not the only person on this board from alabama. i live in foley. there are three trift stores here.
-clothes closet
-waterfront rescue mission bargin center
-salvation army
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004 03:44:27 PM by princess_me » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SHELLYK.

I Love Great Danes!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2004 01:33:31 PM »

speaking of moving - im downsizing the things i own when i leave, so that means leaving behind a ton of random crafting stuff (and those wonderful plastic drawers we love to put everything in) so if anyone lives around birmingham you can come and get it. it's all FREE. i'd have to go through it all to see what i have if you want an idea. i hate to leave it but i just can't drag it all over the u.s. with me anymore. that also means i'm getting rid of a ton of clothes and shoes. and this cheap-mini living room set i bought for whatever reason. there's more stuff too and i'm seirously just giving it away really. i'm trying to only take two suitcases and my sewing machine with me.

I was born & raised in B'ham area...my husbands family is from Wisconsin.  I LOVE  it up there.  You got free stuff?  When will you be giving stuff away?  I'm interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scenequeenpissed

shut up and dance

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2004 08:40:20 PM »

all next week. i'm leaving friday. computer desk and chair. microwave. random craft stuff. plastic draws. TONS of  plastic hangers. stereos. etc. i think one of my friends is coming by monday night to look at it all, but other than that i really don't know what to do with it. message me on aim - nobeertonight
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tart and Tangy Tartar Sauce Recipe
Deep Fried French Fries Recipe
Good Morning Fried Egg Breakfast Recipe
Doggone Good Hush Puppies Recipe
Southern Oven-Broiled Catfish Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...