A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steam punk desk set (now with tutorial pg 2)  (Read 5932 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk , video_game , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009 01:32:00 PM »

I also LOVE the mousepad, very cute!  If you ever feel inclined to do a tute, that'd be awesome . . . but if you don't have the time, I'm sure we fellow crafters will understand Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
kstaron
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009 02:58:46 PM »

TUTORIAL!

I didn't take progress pics but I'll do my best to explain what I did:

The mousepad:

Materials:
Cool shaped mouspad (or craft foam and metallic tape)
cardstock
Images from game
a good paint program like GIMP
watch parts, brads, and small metal pieces of hardware
really strong glue

Process:
I took a freebie mousepad that we got from dell when we got our newest computer.  I liked it because of the rounded shape. If you don't have a cool shape like that I would suggest cutting one out of craft foam and then taping the edges in metallic tape. you can get copper tape from stained glass supply but I bet there even cheaper silver colored tape for duct work at the hardware store.

Then I scavenged for images on the net and found a world map of WoW, and a dungeon for gnomerogan the home city of the gnomes now toxic.   I erased the background of the dungeon leaving only the chambers and overlayed it on top of the world map.  The i took squares of parchment and overlayed it (in a new layer) so it looked like an antique version of a post-it note and used a script font and put in personal messages relating to the game and my husbands characters. (look for tutorials for which ever paint program you are using and get aquainted with it. It's great when you can't find the image you really want.)

I printed the image out onto cardstock, used the plastic bit I tore off the freebie mousepad as a template and cut it to shape and glued it down with a thin layer of tacky glue.

Then I raided my scrap booking, miniature supply and general "maybe I could use this for something someday" stash and collected some small metal washers, some aluminum flashing edges that I cut with pinking shears leftover from another project, star shaped brads, and the innards of a watch.  I assembled them onto with really strong glue to resemble gears. It's important to only put them on top otherwise you might run your wrist over it while playing and get scratched.

Pens:
Materials:
Mechamnical link pends
Gold acrylic paint
copper tape )used for stained glass work)
black beads with a flat bottom
tacky glue

Process:
the mechanical link pens were simply painted with gold acrylic paint, copper taped at the jointed and black half beads glued on as rivets.

Journal:
materials:
one cheapo hardbacked journal
scrapbook paper in golden parchment and black
steampunk and WoW images that were photocopied
letters (I used sizzix die cuts)
acetone (fingernail polish remover)
cotton ball
black pen

process:
Cover the journal in the golden parchment paper. glue down
Wrap the spine in the black paper. glue down
Transfer images randomly all over journal.  Place images face down and rub the acetone over them to transfer the image. (I've found this hit or miss. I usually get a faint outline only)
Go over the images with a black pen to add in desired detail.  if you have any drawing ability add in your own images. On the imagine journal I ended up doing the corset octopus free hand because the I wanted to combine 2 images and by this time I'd given up on the acetone transfer method for the particular paper I was using (I was glossy so it didn't take well)  If I can do it I'm positive you can.
Position and glue down desired letters to front (In the imagine journal I used a few more die cuts I had around and a star brad too)

Hope that helps anyone wanting to make their own!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kitty
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009 10:56:30 AM »

I'm going to make one for my husband too. His birthday is this Thursday and it's two things he loves; WoW & steam punk.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There have been no reported stomach illnesses for swallowing one's pride.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Throw Clay on a Pottery Wheel
How to Make a Dancing Wire Figure - Part 1
How to Make a Dancing Wire Figure - Part 2
How to Make a Terra Cotta Clay Sun Part 1
How to Make a Terra Cotta Clay Sun Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...