A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turkish Vest & Belt made of Can Tabs for Bellydancing!! (pic bloated)  (Read 7838 times)
Tags for this thread: tabistry , pop_tab  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mieljolie
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009 09:00:31 AM »

No problem.  Thanks, thefett!  

If you like, you can vote for my outfit in Craftster's Halloween Costume Contest.

Or, on Greenwalla's "Green Your Halloween" Contest
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 09:27:43 AM by mieljolie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thefett
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009 09:17:33 AM »

Your links didn't work but no worries, I already have a greenwala account - you've got my vote! Check out my entries in the Eco-Geek (spaceship) and Eco-Chic (pop-tab clothing) there if you like.
Cheers,
Rob
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 09:19:14 AM by thefett » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009 09:42:25 AM »

Okay.  Links should be fixed and working.  Not sure what happened there.

...Check out my entries in the Eco-Geek (spaceship) and Eco-Chic (pop-tab clothing) there if you like.
Cheers,
Rob

Wow, Rob!  That spaceship is (pardon the cheezy pun) out of this world!  Very cool and thrifty!  Assemblage is one of my favorite art forms.  And the "tabistry" clothing are truly Eco-Chic!!  A bit skimpy for someone like me, but very sexy!  Definite winners in my book.  I'd like to feature your outfits on my tabistry blog.  Maybe it will help promote the votes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicyvegetarian
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010 06:35:49 AM »

This is the coolest thing since sliced bread! It looks great on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daughter_of_Apollo

Demigod Princess and Vampire Goddess ;)

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010 04:12:33 PM »

Wow this is so cool! You should do a tutoral on how to make this kind of stuff lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010 04:20:43 PM »

Thanks!  Actually, Daughter_of_Apollo, I have made a tutorial.  Smiley

It's on Etsy at:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/mieljolie

After many request, I finally finished a tutorial for the basics as well as patterns/instructions for my Turkish-style Vest and Hats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puglyugly
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010 11:58:56 AM »

I didn't a similar technique and then made it a Mardi Love fringe belt style. I use a single layer of the tabs. I like the way the top is accessorized with different colors of yarn. Did you line it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mieljolie
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010 02:09:18 PM »

Hi Pugly!  Do you have pics of your work?  Sounds cool.  I've ben wanting to attempt another 2 piece belt.  I'm still playing with tassels and fringe.  I made tassels from poly rope (last image of post).  And recently, added fringe to the belt shown in pic 7 down for a party we went to.  I used some burgundy chenille yarn that I had left over from my hair falls.  I may leave it on, but need more yarn to make it look better.  There's a pic of it with this sparse fringe on my craft blog at the bottom of the page.

As for the vest/belt, I didn't feel the necessity to line them.  Though, I'm sure it would improve the appearance of the inside.  I wear them over clothes, and with the fabric weave the tabs never really come into contact with my skin, anyway.  Or, they can be really cold to the touch at first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Daughter_of_Apollo

Demigod Princess and Vampire Goddess ;)

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010 09:38:06 PM »

what did you use to lace the tabs together, I'm trying to do this now too and I learned the hard way that yarn doesn't work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mieljolie
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010 05:13:08 PM »

what did you use to lace the tabs together, I'm trying to do this now too and I learned the hard way that yarn doesn't work

Yarn is tough to work with.  I have had more success with it by twisting several strand together to make it thicker and stronger.  For the vest/belt set, I used fabric strips for the body and at least 4 twisted strands of yarn for the edging.  Finely knit fabrics work great.  I've also had some success with shoelaces and 1/4 - 3/4 inch ribbons.  Be wary of possible snagging, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Ways to Instantly Look Slimmer
Will Jared Leto Top His Man Bun at the Grammys?
DIY: No Sew Halter Top with Michael Costello
How to Dress Like Beyonce
Andre Leon Talley Upgrades Zappos to Couture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...