A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Tree Toppers  (Read 1269 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shannonkay
« on: November 19, 2008 04:36:08 PM »

This year will be the first time having my own Christmas tree. I got married this September and before that I always lived with my family.

I started looking at things last Christmas, but I just realized yesterday that I hadn't even considered tree toppers!

I like angels best, but stars are good too. They were both in the sky, after all!

I've been browsing everywhere and I just don't know what kind of topper I want. I know I prefer angels, but I'm not sure what style. I don't want something that's too countryish or too boring looking, but also not something too crazy.

So, what is your tree topper? Where did you get it or how did you make it? I'd love to see pictures! I'd be curious to see what people use regardless of if you think I'd like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008 06:23:21 PM »

Hello. I live at home (still) and we have always had stars on top. The one we have now is metal, gold colored and has intricate cut outs so I wrap the lights high up so that the light goes all throughout it. I never thought about making my own, but since you mentioned I probably will make my own once I move out.

If you want to stay with something easier you could buy a topper somewhere that is plain and just pimp it out with beads, sequins, ribbon or tinsel.

As for making one from scratch, for a star you could just get a wooden cut out at a craft store of a star and use thick wire to coil at the bottom to stick on the tree then decorate from there.

I would love to see what you decide to do, I can't believe I never thought of this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shannonkay
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008 12:56:12 PM »

I like the wooden star idea. I'm also considering making a star out of that bendy star wire stuff, or possibly a cardboard star that I can decorate.

I'm also considering dressing up some sort of doll or barbie, or possibly a teddy bear for the angel. I would also put some battery operated mini lights on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008 01:36:00 PM »

DH and I swap years, with two toppers that we each inherited from our childhood.  His is a silver star and mine is an old-fashioned angel holding a candle that lights up.  My favorite handmade topper was one that a friend of the family gave to my parents one year, though.  It was a very lovely angel, crafted around a thick cardboard tube (like from gift wrap--but the sturdy kind), which was ingenious for slipping over the top of the tree.  It was made with several layers of gathered muslin, overlaid with lace, for the skirt/body and quilted wings.  Her head was styrofoam, I think...or a big wood bead, covered in muslin.  She was decorated with very small silk ribbon flowers, and a thin ribbon.  She was very minimalist, and lovely.  She went with any number of different themes.  One of these days, I'd like to recreate her with a star rising up behind, to sort of incorporate the two toppers we have now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
shannonkay
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008 01:41:11 PM »

DH and I swap years, with two toppers that we each inherited from our childhood.  His is a silver star and mine is an old-fashioned angel holding a candle that lights up.  My favorite handmade topper was one that a friend of the family gave to my parents one year, though.  It was a very lovely angel, crafted around a thick cardboard tube (like from gift wrap--but the sturdy kind), which was ingenious for slipping over the top of the tree.  It was made with several layers of gathered muslin, overlaid with lace, for the skirt/body and quilted wings.  Her head was styrofoam, I think...or a big wood bead, covered in muslin.  She was decorated with very small silk ribbon flowers, and a thin ribbon.  She was very minimalist, and lovely.  She went with any number of different themes.  One of these days, I'd like to recreate her with a star rising up behind, to sort of incorporate the two toppers we have now.

That angel sounds beautiful, thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bibe
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008 05:02:34 PM »

I had made myself a star topper 2 years ago, here's my post from then. There's references on there to other posts on how to make it.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=132517.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panning With High Speed Flash
Photographing Carnival Rides at Night
Off Book: Light Painting
Off Book: Technology Used for Seeing Beyond the Human Eye
How to Take Wedding Photos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...