A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wholesale jewelry supplies store in boston?  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chiconabudget
« on: March 07, 2005 07:51:36 PM »

Hi I am new to craftster.
This is a great resource and I've picked up alot of great tips and inspiration just surfing around (shrinky dinks, who knew?!)
I am currently experimenting with jewelry designs in the hope of one day selling my stuff at a shop, a crafts fair, or even on a website.
I'm interested in making a large volume of jewelry and also just having enough materials to experiment with without regard for running out of something.
I've gotten some supplies from Michaels and Beadworks but now I'm ready to buy a larger volume of raw materials and I think the most cost efficient way is for me to do this wholesale. I know wholesale websites exist but because I'm relatively new to this, I'd like to be able to go to a store to look at the items in person before I buy a huge amount of silver chain or jump beads. The sizing they give on websites isn't very helpful to me as I have only worked with the standard Michael's fare and I'm really overwhelmed by all the choices out there.  I'm not so much interested in beads, but more like silver findings, chains, ear wires, and leather and suede cord.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RaeAmazon

The Amazon Woman of North America

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005 07:59:13 PM »

the thing about wholesale is that you have to have a tax ID or the equivalent, depending on your state. . . without that, generally speaking,  ppl will not do business with you.  so that's half the battle.  and beyond that, there are lots of great websites that sell wholesale items, as well as bead shows and stuff in expo centers, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a writer but I still believe this:

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower.
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005 10:17:52 AM »

I live in the Boston area but I usually buy wholesale findings and such from catalogs/website like Fire Mountain Gems and Rings & Things.

I know it's hard to envisions some materials without seeing them "in person" though.  Luckily most catalogs/websites give you the size of the item in millimeters.  So you can pull out a ruler and try to envision things that way.  That's what I do.

But -- having said that -- if you want to get higher quality findings than Michael's carries and in larger quantities, you can try these places but catalogs and websites are where I tend to go:

Crystal Blue Beading Company in Watertown
http://www.crystalbluebeading.com/

Play Time Crafts in Arlington (go to the basement for jewelry findings)
http://playtimecrafts.com

And then there's Gem-o-rama in Hingham, MA which is the warehouse location for their catalog. You can't really browse there but you can place an order and then go pick it up.
http://www.gemorama.com/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
alison
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005 10:35:19 AM »

And then there's Gem-o-rama in Hingham, MA which is the warehouse location for their catalog. You can't really browse there but you can place an order and then go pick it up.
http://www.gemorama.com/

this is like a mile from my house, and i had no clue...thanks leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rewind.designs
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005 02:45:42 PM »

I am a jewelry designer in Boston and in addition to ordering online i take the bus ($15!) to NYC about every other month for supplies. 
Also sometimes there are bead shows outside the city, but i dont drive.
Almost any of these things you do need a tax ID #, which doesnt cost anything and can be filed online, but then you have to do your business taxes! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Style Inspiration
How to Wear Vintage Designer Finds
Style Inspired by Olivia Palermo
Style Inspired by Gwyneth Platrow
Maura Lynch Shows off Her Perfect Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...