A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No Monkey Love  (Read 3265 times)
Tags for this thread: felted_sweater , monkey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008 11:59:20 AM »

I agree with Sactownsue and Angry Angel It could just be she's not used to it. I know my immediate neighbors and have even lent them money but giving a sweet gift like that would be weird if I just gave it to someone down the street.

I think he's great, He's baby safe and he's a MONKEY! I mean cummon what kid doesn't need a monkey?
I'm not really a fan of all the embriodery but that's just my personal taste so please don't be offended by it. And if you had brought him to me I would have oohed and aahed over him becasue I know the time handmade things take to make. Smiley So it could be a combination of not knowing/respecting the handmade quality of your gift and your gift being a gift. lol
He's cute so there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cup*KAY*ke
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008 12:56:47 PM »

My little boy is 8 months old, and he would LOVE a little monkey like that (and mommy would love hooded towels!)  I can just imagine him swinging the monkey around and chewing on his feet.  Plus, the different materials of the monkey are AWESOME for little kids to explore texture. They sell "textured" stuffed animals in the baby section for $20+  dollars.  As far as the mom and her cold shoulder goes, I'm betting she 1. was not in a position to receive guests 2. It's something that she isn't used to in her neighbor hood. 3. She doesn't know you well enough (new moms are on the defense.) 4. She could be one of those mom's that only wants brand new name brand things for their kid (what a shame.)     

Next monkey you make, send it to my Logan.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008 02:40:29 PM »

I was thinking about this some more and it occurred to me about the germy, breakable issue. Some people are more paranoid than others about these things. She can put it on a high shelf.
Also the news... the economy. She could be thinking... One more person I have to buy a Christmas gift for now... etc. Can't even pay the mortgage or do everything I need to for the baby. If this might be true, even if it's not, and you want to be friends with her... How about inviting her over to make cookies or candy, Craftster recipes?, and take turns watching the baby, etc.?
I think the bottom line is we are all saying it's not the monkey...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008 02:59:51 PM »

You guys keep making me smile. Thank you so much for such an overwhelming response to this. Thinking on it now, I really love to give gifts to folks even randomly sometimes and it is always pondersom to me to see all the responses that people can give you.
You all are probably right about her just not expecting something from us. We have just moved into this neighborhood about four months ago but haven't really even met any of our neighbors. I am still really happy that I did it and would do it again in a heart beat. Handing making something and adding lots of good warm thoughts to it for someone just makes you feel good inside.
I got my pay off by giving it to her. Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a "white elephant" baby gift.  Grin
All of you have more than assured me that wasn't the case.
Much Peace to all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
ringoatemybaby
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008 04:54:34 PM »

Barring some sort of monkey or stuffed animal related phobia, there is no way on earth this lady's reaction had anything to do with the quality of your gift. It's absolutely lovely, and there's not a single wonky detail, no matter what you say. : )

If I had to guess, I'd say she's probably really hormonal from childbirth and sleep deprived from long nights with her infant. You caught her off guard and she reacted strangely - I would chalk it up to your neighbor having a bad day or being in a weird place mentally. It's sad when someone is dismissive of something you worked hard on. The last time it happened to me, I cried a lot. But just remember that her careless reaction doesn't diminish the kind thing you did for her and her child. Your gift was lovely, as was the thought behind it.

Maybe she'll realize her error and come apologize to you. I hope she does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008 07:02:06 PM »

I'm going to chime in - he is a wonderful monkey! I love the brown fabric and all of the embroidery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008 09:40:52 PM »

SUCH a lovely gift and adorable monkey if you ask me! i agree that any time someone has an odd reaction, it usually has a lot to do with what's going on for them, and not much to do with you.

and you know, babies have a way of figuring out that the handmade toys that have the love in them.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kenners
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008 04:30:41 AM »

Well I like him Smiley

Some people just don't like hand crafted things, they just don't like the look of them - I have friends that think my craftings are hideous because they prefer modern, sleek things and crafts just don't fit into that aesthetic. I wouldn't be offended, its all just personal opinion anyways.

Saying that, I'm pretty sure she was probably zonked out and you surprised her with your generosity!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Generation Artisan

"Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
Jatoha
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008 06:34:02 AM »

Aw, I LOVE that monkey!!  I think it was clever to use corduroy, the texture is so nice.

And I'm sure the towel will get load of use-- you can never have too many!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GelinaJo
I'm More Crafty Than I thought!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008 06:46:43 AM »

I LOOOOVE your lil' monkey! I think he is wonderful! I am sorry you didn't get a good reaction. I know from my own experience that when I put so much hard work in something and then get a less than appreciative response it makes me doubt my efforts! I'm so sorry that happened to you... that stinks. But just so you do know for sure... he is absolutely adorable! I would snatch him up in a heartbeat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Applying Highlights to Ethnic Hair
How to Section Your Hair
Creating Volume in Your Hair
Best Way to Blow Dry Your Hair
How to Do French Braiding
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...