A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No Monkey Love  (Read 3135 times)
Tags for this thread: felted_sweater , monkey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 19, 2008 06:18:59 AM »

OK this is mainly to get some feed back here. I have a neighbor that had a baby a few months back. Well we had just moved here and I could not find my sewing maching at first to get on a gift right away. SO it was a bit late, however I came up with a big hooded towel. ( I didn't get good pictures of unfortunately) and since the towel had a monkey and a lion on it I also made a stuffed monkey by hand.
NOW, I understand that not every one thinks wonky stuffies are cute buuuuutt. I took this over to her home yesterday, she looked at it and said....."ummm Thaaaanks" and then just left me standing out in the cold.
Do you think that the monkey was so ugly that she was offended that I would give her such a thing? Some feedback would be much appreciated. I am not sure how to handle this now.

He was made from a felted wool sweater and old corduroy. It was all hand sewing and embroidered. I know the eyes look a bit silly but I didn't want to put button eyes on since it was for a baby.
It is sitting next to the towel that I made as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
bellalupina
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008 06:24:44 AM »

I think he looks great!  I love the details on his toes and his face, very cute.  Maybe your neighbor is just crazy? Tongue  Regardless of what she thinks, isn't it the baby's decision anyway, and if I remember correctly, they like to drool on everything equally.  Smiley  But I do like this little guy, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://moonlit0wolfess.deviantart.com/

www.myspace.com/katherineelisemusic

I do personal swaps!
Semo
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008 07:01:00 AM »

Maybe you just caught her at an off time, new mothers go through a lot of changes and ups and downs.  Maybe call and see when it would be convient to visit later on.  You did a wonderful job on the monkey, I love it and I'm sure the new baby will too.  Try not to be upset, I'm sure she was just having a bad day. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairweatherknitter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008 07:27:58 AM »

Your Monkey is excellent!  No Doubt about that.  With regards to the mum, I agree.. you may have caught her off guard with such a thoughtful gift.   I thought the same thing as another poster.. Its the baby's present anyways and I bet that baby will love it... They love to drool on things and have something to hold when they are in the stroller or on the floor so never mind Mum's response..
  When I had my first kid I would take him for walks and stuff and I never anticipated all the interacting I would have to do with complete strangers!  People commenting on "what a cute baby!" or giving me unwanted advice! ha ha .. I learned quick to nod my head at the advice and stop saying "I know" at the cute baby comments and instead trained myself to say Thank you! ha ha!
  Well done on your lovely monkey!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myfairytalescomingtrue
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008 07:59:34 AM »

i love him!  especially his feet!  i can't imagine a little one not falling in love with him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Store - Fantastic Fabrics at Discount Prices
http://www.JeLowe.etsy.com

My Blog
http://jelowe.blogspot.com/
Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008 08:14:45 AM »

Thanks ladies for the kind words. I was not really upset with Mom as much as I was worried that my monkey was a silly gift to give.
I too remember those first months of motherhood and they can be draining beyond draining. Just wanted to make sure that it didn't look like I just picked it up at a recycle center somewhere. Smiley
Thank you again for the kudos.
Much Peace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Lady Hope
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008 08:31:57 AM »

i love it! its feet are so cute! I would love it as a gift, and I dont even have a baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Craftster Friends,
Three years ago, I was much younger and dumber and I flaked on a few swaps. I am back and I promise to make it up to everyone I hurt. I had been flaked on a couple of times, and I know how cra**y it feels. I am really sorry.
Stefani
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008 10:23:58 AM »

The monkey is cute. It might not be everyones taste.
I suspect the problem is more about her than you or the gift. Maybe what she needs most is some friendship.
The neighborhood I live in now. People don't do things like you did. She might not be accustomed to a nice person like you. Or maybe there is some nastiness in her life that she is pre-occupied with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
YoungMom

My honey and I

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008 11:32:58 AM »

That's the point I was going to bring up. If I did that in my neighborhood I would be committed to the local state hospital. Where I used to live though....it was expected almost that you do things like that for your neighbors.

I am totally in love with your monkey!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Amy~~

My Wist!!  http://www.wists.com/?action=login_form

The Goddess is the Universal Mother, Earth Mother, The Lady. She is the source of fertility, endless wisdom and caresses. She is represented by the Moon.....
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008 11:51:04 AM »

I think the monkey is adorable, it looks rather old-fashioned (in a good way). I agree with everyone here about the mother's reaction - if she hadn't liked the monkey she could have talked about the towel, but it sounds like she was preoccupied or surprised. I must say, if I received a toy like that, I'd probably put it up on a shelf for baby to look at, not chew on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Saturday Haul with Brittany Balyn
Back-to-School Saturday Haul With Shannon Barker
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Her Favorite Jeans
How to Wear Pajama Dressing
Voguepedia - Gwen Stefani and Punk
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...