A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,356
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Soy-Milk and Soy Products  (Read 840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skoo
« on: November 18, 2008 07:02:15 PM »

So I've been replacing all my milk with Soy, and the expiry dates are months out.  One that I bought got some solid-ish particles in it... does this mean that it was bad?  No flavor/smell difference.
Also, what milk alternative do you prefer for cereal?  Soy/Almond/Rice?

As far as tofu goes, I've been buying solid firm blocks that don't come in liquid.  If I don't use it all, how should I store it, and for how long can I?

In case you didn't notice I'm a newbie to all this.  I'm actually not vegetarian but find myself leaning that way more and more lately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008 09:42:59 PM »

I always find particles in my soy milk especially if it comes off the shelf in the box. I really like rice milk for cereal and soy milk for baking.

You can store tofu in the fridge for a few days if you keep it in a storage container covered in fresh water, you have to change the water daily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008 10:32:08 AM »

I prefer almond milk for cereal, cookie dunking, and drinking. I use soy for everything else. and I love Silk chocolate soy milk!

I don't keep left over tofu for more than 2-3 days in the fridge.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
skoo
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008 11:08:48 AM »

Thanks guys
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FJ
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008 03:33:03 PM »

You can freeze your tofu.  It will change the texture by making it more firm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillvedge
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008 08:20:23 AM »

I like to use soy for baking at home as well. I've used coconut milk for creamy sauces, since it's usually a lot thicker than any other alternative milk. When I'm out and I get a latte or something I usually ask for almond before soy, just because as a vegan, I'm already getting plenty of soy-based products in my diet. I wouldn't ask for rice milk, its a little too thin and it doesn't hold up well with espresso/chai. I use almond in my cereal, or sometimes I get the chocolate almond milk and heat it up on the stove, its good for a quick hot chocolate. As far as tofu, I get the kind that comes in water (for cooking with). I've frozen it before and maybe I just kept it in the freezer for too long and it was really spongey and gross when I finally cooked it. I use silken tofu that comes in a smaller package with much less water for baking. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pinky Yarn
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008 08:04:57 PM »

When you freeze tofu you need to drain it first. I've never found particles in my soy milk. I drink silk or the dollar tree stuff. I always shake it well, I think that's why it says shake well and buy often.  Smiley I'm not a huge fan of rice milk and I'm not a huge fan of the concept behind it. I don't eat much soy other than milk and tofu and the occasional frozen product when I'm starving and didn't plan ahead. I loooooove almond milk but it's so expensive. Coconut milk is amazing in everything too. I'd find a few things you like and alternate. Variety is key in every diet, whether it includes meat or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
crafts4others
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008 03:51:44 PM »

what does soy milk taste like? Is there a difference in the brands as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daniethanas
Wife, Sister, Daughter, Friend, Crocheter

Hookin' like a fiend these days...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008 10:11:06 AM »

We're not vegetarians but have started to switch to some alternatives in some areas as a means to count our calories. Our milk intake is one of those areas - you gain health without sacrificing calcium intake.

My hubby and I use almond milk for cereal - we absolutely love it. I feel like it really brings the flavor of the cereal full circle like regular milk never could. We also love the chocolate almond milk as a tasty snack - it's lighter than reg. chocolate milk and super satisfying.

A couple of other soy alternatives:
- I've been using soy french vanilla creamer in my coffee. It's awesome.
- We discovered the joys of Soy "Egg" Nog. It's all the tasty of regular egg nog without making you feel like you ate an entire loaf of bread. It's soooooo goooood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
How to Make Circle Punch Christmas Trees
How to Make Aromatic Extracts
How to Make a Ribbon Wreath
How to Wrap Awkward Shaped Christmas Presents
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...