A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Candle Gifts  (Read 1311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snowhite
« on: November 18, 2008 06:26:51 PM »

Can you think of ways to jazz up store bought candles?  I have 3 ideas already:

Cinnamon Sticks wrapped around a small pillar candle

Removing the wrapper from a jar candle and hand painting or etching the jar (not quite sure if the etching stuff is okay with heat??)  I think a snowman face will look so nice against a white candle.

Gluing votives or votive holders onto precut wooden snowflake ornaments.. decorate ornament with glitter or paint.

Any ideas to decorate candles... of any kind.. tapers, pillars, etc? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julietalpha
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008 10:44:47 PM »

If you take a large-ish candle and dip it in boiling water, the wax melts enough to attach stuff.  You could use delicate pressed flowers or leaves.  Tissue paper flitted into my mind but you'd have to be sure it wouldn't burn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
panthermoon
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008 10:46:31 AM »

You can personalize them by printing pictures on tissue paper. I made one for my sister one year by putting a picture of her daughter on it. I attached it to the candle by using a heat gun, just place candle on heat proof area & have something under it for melted wax,  place the tissue paper where you want it to go. I had the candle on it's side. Be very careful and don't get too close. you heat it just enough to melt the wax into the tissue paper. It wasn't as smooth as it was originally, but she loved it. Smiley  It will probably work best with lighter colored or white candles. I did a black & white photo on white tissue paper and put it on a white candle 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in trading? ATC Gallery

Wists

100 Theme 12/100
Happy 100 ATC 6/100
100 Music Theme 4/100
Snowhite
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008 06:09:53 PM »

Great ideas Smiley

Just a few questions about the tissue paper candles. May I ask how I would print on tissue paper?  Do I tape the tissue paper onto regular computer paper and print on that?  Also can you burn those candles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panthermoon
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008 12:35:07 AM »

Just a few questions about the tissue paper candles. May I ask how I would print on tissue paper?  Do I tape the tissue paper onto regular computer paper and print on that?  Also can you burn those candles?

That's how I printed it. I would think that simpler designs would work best. I picked out a photo where my niece was standing against a door. My sister never burned the candle. She still has it in her living room. As for burning it, I would assume that it would depend a lot on the size of the candle, how close the wick is to the paper. I would make sure they knew to keep an eye on it while it was burning. I never put the paper the whole way around the candle, just on the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in trading? ATC Gallery

Wists

100 Theme 12/100
Happy 100 ATC 6/100
100 Music Theme 4/100
DragonEyze
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008 08:49:19 AM »

Wrap ribbons around them, in a layerd effect. Or corrogated paper and then ribbons.  You could then get the small boxes of matches (usually like 12 boxes for $3 or something), wrap the logo side with pretty paper and tie that on the front of the candle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
John Lennon
bretta
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008 09:34:58 AM »

For the tissue candles, just burn the candle down far enough to insert a tealight into the well. Pretty but not a fire hazard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowhite
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008 06:46:16 PM »

Wow, I am so glad I asked this question!  Great Ideas, TY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008 09:34:12 PM »

you can print your own label of it, then wrap it around it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008 10:00:21 PM »

You can use the chemical etchers like Armour etch - that removes a layer of the glass to permanently etch the glass, so it should not be a problem with candles.  I like to buy cheap glass containers and etch them.  Last year I did unicorn food canisters for a friend, and have done picture frames, and other things.  This year I bought squat square glass vases from Ikea and wanted to etch them to hold squat candles, or to hold some homemade loofah soaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scarlett Johansson Heats Up in Versace at The Avengers Premiere
How to Make the Perfect Denim Cutoffs
Music Festival 101: Everything You Need For Coachella
Tips from Lauren Luke: What to Wear
Llyod Boston on Style Must Haves for Women
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...