A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sparks can (the drink!) costumes  (Read 3245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kristenp
« on: November 18, 2008 02:20:30 PM »

so this is the best-worst costume (or worst-best) I have ever made.  By that I mean - I whipped these guys together in a few hours and the stitching is totally not finished but I think they are totally awesome and hilarious.

Here's the finished product:

If you're not familiar with it, Sparks is an alcoholic energy drink that is very delicious - it is sugary and not gasoline-y as some other alcoholic energy drinks are.  My boyfriend and I drink a lot of this drink... it's become our little thing.  So for Halloween we decided to go as different colors of Sparks.

The orange sparks is the original. the blue sparks is sugar-free sparks, or "sparks light".  the black sparks is "sparks plus" because it contains more alcohol AND more taurine (I believe that's what it contains, haha)

Now as I mentioned before, this is the best-worst costume I've ever made, mainly because I didn't follow any pattern to make it, and cut as many corners along the way because of time.  But here's a quick run-down on how I made it:

1. I bought fabric in orange, black, and silver, and guesstimated the amount I would need, which turned out to be WAY too much. I also bought some fusible interfacing, and used some extra batting I had lying around.

2.  To make the letters, I downloaded a Sparks logo, enlarged it in Photoshop, and then printed out these large letters.  I ironed the fusible interfacing to the orange fabric on the wrong side, and pinned the logo letters on the front.  I then cut the letters out.

3. To make the body/can, I estimated the amount of fabric I would need, circumfrence wise, by wrapping the fabric around my boyfriend (who I used as a dress form since I don't have one) and leaving plenty of extra room in case I messed up.  I again estimated the measurements on the black/orange and silver ratio, based on the fact that only one letter fits in the colored part of the can.  I sewed together the black/silver and orange/silver pieces to create the can body.  Then I fused the letters on to the can, and the plus/minus signs.
(note: the letters were tacked on after fusing, because fusing alone wouldn't hold it.  also, if you have the patience I would go ahead and sew everything by machine, because although it's easier on your back to hand-tack, it takes FOREVER.  luckily the bf can sew.)

4. Now I had two big, flat cans. I cut armholes (I do believe this is the most free-form sewing I have ever done!), again measuring both costumes on my boyfriend (we are relatively the same size).  I then used some batting that I had to line the inside of the costumes, folding a hem over the top and sewing through the batting.  I did not attach it at the bottom, but I would have if I had more time.

5. To finish the costumes up, I pinned the two ends together in the back and did a quick seam: just like sewing up a tube!

so there's my random tutorial. although I think I could have done a better job if I'd had time to slow down and stitch, I am happy with the over all conclusion.  In fact, people kept asking us all night if we worked for sparks!! I wish!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008 02:27:35 PM by kristenp » THIS ROCKS   Logged

maehem

.glitz and glamour.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008 02:37:27 PM »

hahahah! awesome!

i loveee sparkss! you shoulda handed out orange candy or something to give everyone "sparks mouth"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
asile153
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008 02:52:49 PM »

I don't like Sparks, but I LOVE these costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your friends ask about me you say I can be found
with the cheap romance novels with their spines battered down
oh the heart has no bones you say so it wont break
but the purpose of loving is the pounding it takes
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Debating the Real Meaning of "Moby Dick"
Fan Fiction Vs Copyright
Katie Kitamura on Her Novel Gone to the Forest
Kristin Harmel on Writing The Sweetness of Forgetting
Kristin Harmel on Her Inspiration For The Sweetness of Forgetting
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...