A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
792 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!! 20 quilts by December 2009!  (Read 1698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2008 01:21:04 PM »

I am making everyone quilts for Christmas next year. I decided on a log cabin quilt for everyone. But I am stumped on a couple things:

1.should I make all the quilts in one size, or make varying sizes depending on the size of the person's bed?
2. should I cut out the pieces one quilt at a time? or group them all together?
3. Would it make sense to cut the fabric yardage into sections in order to have that particular fabric available in different sizes?
4. What about actually quilting them? I am using a machine to quilt but whats the best process?

I wanted to do these as quickly as possible, but I have a feeling they will wind up being done at the last minute and squeezed in between my other projects....has anyone had to make  alot of quilts all at once before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
lisadee
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008 06:03:57 PM »

Wow.
That's a tall order, I hope you aren't cursing the SOB who invented quilts a year from now.
I would definitely approach it from an assembly line perspective. All quilts the same size with same fabrics and same quilting. Most quilting books have how-tos on strip piecing. I'd plan one master quilt, figure out total number of whatever size pieces you'll need, chop them all out then piece all together. For quilting, I'd just straight stitch in the ditch.
If you want to have some personalization on them you could embroider their initials in a corner.
But before all that I'd probably ask myself what relatives No. 10-20 have done for me lately  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abxkris
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008 06:54:27 PM »

Wow. Well, at least you don't want them done by Christmas 2008!!

I agree with the assembly line approach to things. Have you considered a different quilt block? It seems like you'll have to keep track of lots of pieces for the log cabin block. Maybe one with fewer components would keep you a little more sane! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TexasThistle
Innocent until PROVEN guilty

This is complete BS.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008 07:58:59 PM »

i picked log cabin because it was easy.

I started cutting some scraps tonight....I will post progress pics from time to time.
\
everyone at home loves my handmade gifts.....so i thought the quilt thing would take the cake. I have a tendency to overdo myself
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps (feedback is untrue)
anaximander
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008 08:19:06 PM »

I hear you on the overdoing yourself thing.

I don't know that I'd necessarily go with the same colours for everyone - I might do, say, 5 red, 5 yellow, 5 green, and 5 blue, for example, or even 10 red/green and 10 blue/yellow (or whatever colours tickle your fancy - even "boyish" and "girlish" depending on your family)

I'd probably pick a *large* log cabin pattern, with strips that are wider, and patches that are larger, than say, 1" wide strips or something.

I'd also see if you can enlist a partner - have one person cutting while you sew, or vice versa - you'd be amazed how much FASTER things go when you have a gopher for that kind of project

I'd make them the same size, and I would seriously consider twin or double - the people who have larger beds can use them as a couch quilt, which is sometimes much easier and more appreciated.

I, personally, would cut out all the pieces at the same time, and then group them into ziplock bags in whatever way makes sense to you (either by size, for example, or in individual quilts), and dyou can just sew in the evening in front of the tv.

As far as what to do when, it really depends on you. Some people need to change jobs every now and then, others prefer to do each step all at once - it's really what fits better with your personality.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008 08:21:47 PM »

a simple rail fence pattern might be easier. or bite the whole apple and go with your gut.

http://www.straw.com/equilters/library/quickquilts/railfence/rail_fence.html

this summer i made five memory quilts for the family of a dear deceased friend.  i made all quilts a 'lap' size or sofa size... something to snuggle under while watching a movie. i think they were about 115cm x 150cm (45X60) i used five different patterns and a heck of a lot of ziplock bags to organize them.

i cut all my fabric at once, then pieced everything at once, then sewed all blocks together...

and simple stitch in the ditch quilting later...

if you go with all same fabrics you can always use a cool backing fabric to make them individual...

good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008 09:42:43 PM »

Look into quilt-as-you-go to shorten assembly time and space requirements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008 04:27:35 PM »

I would go nuts doing all the cutting at once. all the piecing at once.  I would have two going at a time so I could switch back and forth.  I also would make lap quilts.  Plus, I think doing them in staggered steps will help you see the finish line as you get some completed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008 05:09:24 PM »

Log cabin quilts are great for assembly line piecing - but you might want to only assembly line one or two at a time depending on your fabric choices.  That is, if you are choosing a different color scheme or theme for each quilt, you might want to assembly line each quilt/color scheme separately, or you may get confused.  Instead of worrying about bed size, consider making lap quilts - they are smaller, will go together faster, and will be easier to quilt/tie.

You may also want to look into jelly rolls - rolls of fabric strips pre-cut into 2 1/2" strips.  All the fabrics in a roll are from the same fabric line, so you know they will go together well.

Good luck, and be sure to post as you complete them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
QuiltingMommyof2*Michelle
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008 06:41:17 PM »

I suggest using the strip piecing method, or Eleanor Burn's Quilt In A Day. Her way is the only way I make my Log Cabin quilts, she gives easy to follow directions and the quilts are made very quickly this way. Check your LQS, maybe even JoAnn's has her Quilt In A Day Log Cabin pattern book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
How to Poach and Grill Fruit
Rhubarb Crumb Bars Recipe
Angel Food Cake Recipe
Summer Time Treats: Cheesecake Stuffed Snow Cone
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...