A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 307,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
314 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tim Burton's Alice in wonderland costume skirt  (Read 18097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008 06:23:22 AM »

You could sew the rickrack to a skirt of netting or tulle.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Mrs. Mooney
Mrs. Eugenia Mooney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008 06:37:34 AM »

I would suspect the underskirt is made of gauze or muslin.. it looks like a two tier skirt style with the rick rack as the overlay...  i did this to a Victorian piece I created years ago...  it is tedious and time consuming.. but looks wonderful when finished...  i used about 30 yards of  1" rick rack on the skirt alone.. although it was slightly longer to the floor. 

Trick for working with rick rack and trying to create shape with it... don't sew it by hand or machine initially... you will frustrate the heck out of yourself and it will not lie flat or straight.. use quick tack (fabric glue) to tack pieces together before stitching.. u can lay out the entire piece this way then hand stitch or tack with a machine..  when i made my skirt overlay i cut all the rick rack to fit the finished skirt front and back.. then tacked it together with the fabric glue so i had another complete skirt overlay from the rick rack.. do not stitch the rick rack piece to the underskirt except at the waist...  it will be bulky and look awful as it will not move freely....

I have seen several more of the costume pieces for this movie... the Mad Hatter's outfit looks interesting and being that I also create Top Hats and frock coats ... I have always gravitated to the Mad Hatter for inspiration in my work..  Alice's blue coat has a similar flavour to Violet Baudelaire's in Lemony Snickett although Colleen Atwood would seem to not be doing costume for the Alice movie...  it is a fairly typical coat style/cut from the time period..

Good Luck to all creating.. it's a wonderful thing....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008 07:04:40 AM by Mrs. Mooney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Defy the Mundane...Stand out in Crowd
funky_eng
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008 08:54:33 AM »

Cool!  I have not been able to find any other costumes. Are they online somewhere?

Thanks for the advice! Most of my plan was as you suggested, except I had not thought of the fabric glue...Good tip! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Mooney
Mrs. Eugenia Mooney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008 07:52:12 AM »

my pleasure... i will post a pic of my piece when i track down the photo...  Wink

i haven't seen any other photos as yet..  i sometimes get a heads up as i'm in the industry.. but usually these things stay under wraps for the best part... 

i've posted the pic of my interpretation on Alice & the Mad Hatter... not at all like the ones in the film.. these pieces were used in a music video...  i'm not at liberty to say which artist as the video has not been released as yet... but i had a great time costuming the shoot...  the model is not who wore the skirt in video...  and that is me in the Mad Hatter outfit

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs. Mooney
Mrs. Eugenia Mooney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008 07:53:03 AM »

oops.... photos didn't post...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

phizzle
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008 08:35:46 AM »

sexy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gnarlyis3
Jessica R

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009 05:10:28 PM »

I have seen similarly made lace clothing. The instruction booklets are found dating around the turn of the century into the 20's. Cordonnet and Nufashond are the 2 companies that put out rickrack and other similar types of notions and they would print pattern booklets on how to make edgings and lace like this and for use on the bottom of towels, hankies,  draperies, and for hair decoration and on clothing to encourage it's use. There is a free online vintage pattern library for needlework that you can download and donate to at
www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/
If you go to the site and download the correct companies' booklets you will be able to see the vintage versions of the lace. You will need an Adobe (Acrobat) Reader to be able to read the books.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hoops & Scissors, Needles & Thread.
Don't loose pins while on the bed!
Kalanit
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009 06:17:11 PM »

I've been looking to recreate that skirt as well! I was thinking of sewing all the rick rack together, creating a rickrack fabric and then cutting and sewing the skirt like I would any other skirt...but perhaps I need to study it a bit more...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bowiegirl1982
Salvaged Mutiny - Embroidered Art for the Handmade Generation!

A Crafter At Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009 08:40:24 AM »

oh fun!  Though maybe frustrating to sew all that rick rack together.  Should be interesting though, can't wait to see what you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LolaBella
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009 01:07:01 PM »

I've been wanting to make this *entire* outfit for a while.  I absolutely adore it!  Doing some research online for ric-rac, I think I found the exact kind they used!  I figured buying it in wholesale was necessary since it will probably take a large yardage amount.  It comes in two sizes: the large is 1+13/32 inches (found here: http://www.cheeptrims.com/store/group.asp?GroupID=17&CategoryID=47) and the small is 11/16 inches (found here: http://www.cheeptrims.com/store/group.asp?GroupID=37&CategoryID=47).  That seems to be the correct proportions from the pictures and they also have a "Dusty Blue" that looks almost exactly like the right color.  For a while I was wondering if I'd have to dye something to get it close to that color, but I'm so excited that I had to share the links.  Each roll of ric-rac comes with 72 and 144 yards respectively, so that seems like plenty.  Maybe you could get more than one skirt out of it?

As for construction, to me it looks like the ric-rac was sewn only to it's self, like lace, and then attached at the waist as an over skirt over some blue satiny fabric in the same shape.  I think they used the smaller ric-rac to add fullness between the sections of larger ric-rac as it goes down the dress since it seems like most of the points line up.  Just a guess though.  I think I'm just going to wing it and see how it goes!

If anyone's had success or attempted it since this post started, please post pictures, I'd love to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Costume Blog: Bella Miss Ella
Regular Blog:
Bella Boston
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...