A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 306,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need help binding a grandmother's flower garden quilt  (Read 2328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SimplySandy
« on: November 16, 2008 09:05:33 AM »

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to bind the grandmother's flower garden quilt?  Seems like if I bind around each flower it will take forever.  I have finished all the quilting and am ready to start on the binding.  BTW, I pieced and quilted this king size quilt completely by hand. (What was I thinking?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008 08:19:26 PM »

Sorry to say I have no idea  Undecided  I think they look cool when the edge follows the shape of the hexagon, but I don't know how to do it.  I'm piecing one now and my plan is to add a border so that the edges of the finished quilt are straight - not as cool, but I'm not too brave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
bridgeywidgey
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008 09:41:43 PM »

Hi,

I feel like a bit of a fraud cos my grandmothers flower garden quilt is still quite some time off being finished, but I took a class to learn how the grandmothers garden style, and we talked a bit about binding and how to deal with it, so no personal experience yet, but hopefully helpful.

so essentially we talked about two ways.  there is the option of the binding round each corner but you'd have to have the patience of a saint.

half hexagons - for the outermost rows either do an extra row or if you're happy to loss a bit of the quilt, chop off half of the hexagons to create a straight edge, which is then able to be bound.

applipue - applique the quilt top onto another piece of fabric, and then bind that.  The teacher had several examples of this, as this is what she does, and there were some where the applique fabric was pretty small and you couldn't really see it, and some where it was a feature.

hope that helps, let me know if you want more info or if i haven't made sense!  I'd love to hear how you go, as if i ever finish mine I will be facing a similar problem
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Breakthrough: Arctic-Powered Skincare
Dual Black And Gold Eyeliner Backstage NYFW
4-Step Revival Guide to Longer-Lasting Polish
Expert Reveals Top Winter Beauty Tips
Fast & Flawless: A Must-Try New BB
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...