A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mom's 60th surprise birthday bash (somewhat IMG heavy)!  (Read 5196 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Calliel

Oh fudgemuffins.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 14, 2008 09:05:05 PM »

So! My mother turned 60 in August, and my dad wanted to throw her a surprise party. Unfortunately, my dad and party planning don't go together well, as I come by my procrastination and general disorganized-ness honestly. However, I can get into gear when I need to. So my dad handed me a checkbook and said, "Make this the best party she's ever been to."

So I got to work! We threw the party a week before her actual birthday, so she'd be surprised. It was held in the community association clubhouse in my town, which is a beautiful building that looks out over the lake. She's always said she wants to have a party there (meaning my wedding, I think, but that's a bit preemptive, as I'm not engaged). My sister and I pretty much put everything together. We decided on a theme of gold, yellow and brown, to fit a sort of "sepia tone" theme.

Here is the invite, using my dad's favorite picture of her, her senior picture from high school:

It was a HUGE hit, and my mom loved it once she saw it (after the party). She was simultaneously really excited and sort of embarrassed that her picture went out as a postcard all over the state Tongue

Here's the table. We kept the wall decorations pretty minimal, because the room already matched our color scheme! This was at the beginning of the evening--by the end, you couldn't even see the tablecloth because people brought soooooo many flower arrangements. And by some fluke, most of them were yellow! We used lots of sunflowers--she loves those, and they fit the theme.

The unbelievably gorgeous cake. I really wish I could say we made it, but we got it at the Cakery, St. Louis's fantastic, delicious bakery. They have the best buttercream I have EVER tasted. And their cupcakes are to die for. We went into the shop and I sketched out what we wanted on a napkin; two weeks later they delivered exactly that. That bow on top is fondant!

And my favorite crafty part of the night: the centerpieces. I scanned old photos from throughout Mom's life: her sixth grade class picture, her first wedding to my birth father, her second wedding to my adoptive father, the births of all her children, and some other favorite photos. I made them sepia tone and printed them out on gold vellum, which I then wrapped around glass hurricanes. I filled them with brown sand, put in gold candles, and put brown satin ribbon around the edges of the vellum. As the candles burned down, they shone through the pictures and cast shadows of the images onto the white tablecloths. My mom loved them, and each of my siblings and my parents took one home.

Mom seemed to have a great time--this is Dad making a toast and her giving her "oh-you're-so-full-of-crap-but-I-love-you" face.

We had personalized M&Ms, too, yellow, brown and ivory ones that said "Happy B-Day Mom!" and "Linda is 60!" but I'm having trouble finding a picture. I'll add it later if I can find it. An A Capella group from a nearby university came to perform, which was great--they sang my five-year-old niece's favorite song, "Suddenly I See" by K.T. Tunstall. Her name is Fiona, and she calls it "Noni's Song" when it comes on the radio. When they started singing it, she squealed and bounced up and down, and kept telling people "They're singing to me!"

It was a great night, and I wish I had more pictures. My sister took a bunch--I'll see if I can coerce her into sending some...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not doing personal swaps right now, but if you're interested, go ahead and PM me anyway--maybe we can work it out for later. Smiley

Check out my mineral makeup on Etsy!

Blog: http://omgkate.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/Calliel
Etsy: http://luire.etsy.com
poe poe
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008 09:45:25 PM »

That is so cool. I hope someone does something that special for me someday. You mom is a very lucky woman. Everything turned out great. I love the candles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008 09:50:29 PM »

Those centerpieces are absolutely beautiful.  I love the idea and I think it's great that everyone took them home  Cheesy  How tall were the candles/hurricanes?  (Just for size reference)

Sounds like it was a great party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calliel

Oh fudgemuffins.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008 11:42:15 PM »

Thanks, guys! The hurricanes are about 7" tall, and the candles are about 5". We still wanted people to be able to see each other across the table. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not doing personal swaps right now, but if you're interested, go ahead and PM me anyway--maybe we can work it out for later. Smiley

Check out my mineral makeup on Etsy!

Blog: http://omgkate.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/Calliel
Etsy: http://luire.etsy.com
seneris
Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008 12:53:03 AM »

What a lovely surprise for your mother, great decorations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
Lody
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008 04:45:05 AM »

Nice crafting!  but what I love the most is your dad's face in that last picture, with the eyebrows all ^ - XDD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
gnomesrock
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008 05:30:41 AM »

It looks like you put together a wonderful party! I love your invitation-- it's  just fantastic! It's got me to thinking about my own mother's up coming birthday, I hope I can put together something as lovely as this party. Such an inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreversandals
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008 06:17:59 AM »

My family and I are putting together a party for my dad's 50th, so thanks for some inspiration!

It looks so good and I hope mine comes together just as well as yours did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
ollieorange
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008 07:39:46 AM »

Everything came together beautifully! I especially like the candles. It sounds like they had a great effect when they burned down.

Don't you love the little hints mothers give to you about where they would like those special events they have planned out for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KrisCreates

Keep on rockin' in the craft world!

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008 08:05:57 AM »

Super beautiful!  What a totally nice idea for a party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell Fete the Olympics in Style
How to Update Your White T-Shirt with Metallic Sleeves
Gwen Stefani Shows Off Her Leopard-Print Bikini
Maria Sharapova Serves Us Some Style in Tropical Prints
How to Spot Fake Nike Trainers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...