A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap items still in use / on display / getting compliments  (Read 3999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auntiem
« on: November 14, 2008 04:43:33 PM »

I was looking around my house the other day to realize that a very large portion of my swap goodies are on display / in use. Many of them I use daily or are on display in the living room or craft room. Lots, if not all of the jewelry and purses are "in rotation". The t-shirts aren't on "heavy rotation" because I want to be careful with them and make sure they last - so those are only for "special occasions".
A few (out of many) examples, I got a t-shirt last year just in time to wear for Thanksgiving and I wear it semi-often, but I've resisted lately so it would be clean for Thanksgiving this year.
On Halloween I lent my zombie doll to a friend to hug while watching scary movies and she thought it was really cute.
I have a screen printed shirt over two years ago that I recently wore to an event and it got a ton of compliments.
Would people like to get messages nearly a year or more later that their item is in use and got a compliment or is that a little weird?
(I once got a message with a photo to show an item I had sent was still in use and that was awesome!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008 05:30:22 PM »

I guess it depends on the person, but I would think most people would be thrilled.  I still use the knitting bag and crochet hook roll often and get compliments on the bag all the time (no one ever really sees the crochet hook roll, but I love it).  I'm even still crocheting (not well, but it's a process Wink).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyLikesPie
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008 06:17:48 PM »

I'd be thrilled if someone messaged me about enjoying something I made for them. I was just using some swap soap a couple hours ago and was thinking about how I should let the soapmaker know how much I've enjoyed it. I think I'll send her a message right now.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008 06:44:54 PM »

I made a pair of wings for a swap partner, and was thrilled when she sent me a picture of her wearing them for Halloween.  It was great.  And I use the tote bag she gave me for a project bag, back and forth from work every day.  Also, DH wears the bracelet she macrame'd for him, often, too.  It is an awesome aspect of swapping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008 05:17:07 AM »

I think it would be awesome!  I get compliments on my bags and jewelry all the time and I always mention that I got them in a craft swap on Craftster. Smiley  I've sent off random messages to thank people again, I think it's a really nice thing to do. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008 03:59:17 PM »

I had a calorimetry from one partner that I wore all through winter. Another person sent me an awesome bag that I carried EVERYWHERE for months. Any zippered pouch I've been sent has been in constant use since it arrived... and just looking at myself today, I'm wearing a t'shirt that was printed for me by a swap angel.

Most of what I've received in swaps has been pressed into action so much and so often that it's just become part of the stuff I use daily.

I really should PM some of these partners and let them know that the X they sent me is still much used and much loved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
Muria
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008 08:37:08 PM »

I was looking at my refrigerator not all that long ago, and I have an organizational chart from two months ago and several magnets that I've received in swaps. They're great!

I also had fun a few days ago looking for fabric, because I found a bunch of fabric scraps from my first swap (two years ago)!  I also have some machine embroidered quilt blocks that I got in a swap that I really want to use so I can show them off.  Smiley

And I'd love to know if the stuff I made two years ago is still holding up.  Smiley  It would also be cool to get some sort of notification when someone added one of my projects to their favorites section (or to their wist)!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008 08:38:07 PM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008 01:49:56 AM »

I use the emoticon coasters I got all the time. In fact, I'm using one right now. Tonight I also used the hat I got in the first swap I was ever in. I have swap stuff all over my house!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
HelenM

Acting like some kind of 50s housewife

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008 05:55:32 AM »

(I once got a message with a photo to show an item I had sent was still in use and that was awesome!)

And I still use that bag every day to take stuff to work that's too big for my handbag! (Assuming I'm the person you mention Wink And if not, then take it as the compliment that's intended!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008 04:41:28 PM »

Yup, it was you. Smiley That reminds me to hurry home and stash away the scarf you sent before my Mom arrives - she almost "accidentally" packed it last time she visited. Not to mention several of the zippered pouches sent to me that she holds onto a little too long for my comfort...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Macro/Close-up Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Beach/Snow Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Backlight Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Aperture Priority Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...