A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 307,962
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: brooches w/ real flowers?  (Read 640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muggy Frog
« on: November 14, 2008 12:30:11 PM »

Ok so I don't know if anyone else have done this before, but the other day I found some flowers and I thought making them wearible would be fantastic. Thus brooches came to mind! So I was thinking about letting the flowers dry out upside down, cutting off the stems and gluing it to bits and fabric. My only problem is making sure they stay intact. Anyone have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know." - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008 05:11:35 AM »

i think nature will take them over and they will crumble if you add them to fabric.
The most permanent solution is to cast them in resin . Imagine a little bunch suspended in plastic. then you could add that to some fabric and voila super awesome brouche.
hope that helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
Muggy Frog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008 11:02:41 AM »

Thanx! Yeah I've never done anything with resin before but thats sounds like a great idea! I'll have to make a trip to the crafts store now =) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know." - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008 02:54:23 PM »

well when i first read your title i was thinkiing a type of brooch with holes or areas you can stick the flower in and it has something to maintain its "freshness" while its in there, resin also works, when you say real, that can include pressed flowers which can be done into resin once again or applied to the item.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello color!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008 02:49:56 PM »

Embedding pressed flowers into a resin pendant should be fairly easy; doing something like this, however, would take some trial and error to figure out. Since many people have trouble with resin when starting out, perhaps you should start embedding things in pendants and such, and move on to the more complicated stuff once you get the easier stuff to work?

This was discussed in the resin thread a while back, with some ideas thrown around, though nobody went through the trouble of actually figuring out the technique. As that link proves, however, it definitely is possible, and the results are worth the effort!

Good luck, and make sure to post what you come up with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...