A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anybody purchased dinnerware rather than rented it?  (Read 1717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

millerash25
« on: November 14, 2008 06:43:52 AM »

I know that isn't exactly craft-related but it is kind of DIY... :-)

I am going with a very inexpensive caterer for the area ($10.00/person for a buffet dinner!!) and since our reception is in a fairly fancy location both sets of parents have expressed that they do not want plastic dishes used.  My fiance and I are both okay with this and would like to try and set a more formal tone.

I have not yet booked my caterer but when I visited with them I had them make a bunch of different contracts.  One included dinnerware and the other did not.  Because of gratuity, extra servers needed to accomodate ceramic plates, and a mandatory 20% fee that our reception site charges caterers the difference between plastic and real plates was a little over $1000!!!  The guest list is approximately 200 although we are still quite a ways out and have not done invitations yet.  We are thinking it will be somewhere around 200 that will actually come, maybe more maybe less.

I went to the food service portion of the Sam's Club website and found that I could buy everything for about $70 more than the caterer charges to rent it.  I have a bunch of helpful friends that would be more than willing to help set up so that will not be an issue.

I was just wondering if anybody here has purchased their plates rather than rented them.  If anybody has, was it difficult to sell them?  Did you think it was worth it??

Thanks for your help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008 03:33:47 PM »

We purchased glasses (DollarTree), table linens (Ebay) and flatware (Ebay), but not our actual plates.  I couldn't find plates or napkins that I liked, so we ended up renting those for the day.  The other pieces were easy to sell on Craigslist, though! Smiley  We kept some and sold some at sets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
one_fine_day
She's Electric.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008 04:42:40 PM »

I was thinking about doing that myself. I decided on renting instead. I don't think I know anyone in my family who wants to wash 200 sets of silverware, plates, etc. Are you buying cake plates too? I was surprised at how many dishes I needed just to serve a meal and drinks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the morning I'd awake and couldn't remember...
What is love and what is hate, the calculations error.

http://www.myspace.com/onefine_day

http://yourheartattackclothing.ecrater.com
(coming soon!!!)
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008 10:06:22 AM »

I suggest checking out the local boards on The Knot and closed sales on Ebay and Craigslist to see how much you can actually get for sold goods.

How about checking some restaurant supply stores to see if they sell at lower prices?

In addition, what about checking out Ebay or Craigslist to buy another couple's previously used plates?  Buying used could possibly save you even more than Sam's Club.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008 12:02:45 PM »

I did!
We had about 80 people at our wedding reception following our wedding. We bought the plates at Dollar Tree. They are sort of the squarish-white ones. I washed all those plates myself three times! First after we bought them, then after the reception (very DIY), then after the second reception later on.

It was worth it to us, we used them twice. The plates cost us a dollar each, but renting them was $1.30 each time. The washing was a pain in the arse, but if you are too busy, you can assign this to a willing friend/family member. We also bought our own wine glasses from IKEA - 6 for $2.50 I think. Water glasses. And something else.

I've still got them. I want to sell cheaply or gift them to someone in my area that is having their own reception on a budget. So, if you know of anyone in Chicagoland that wants them - holler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MavenOfFunkMutation
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008 12:55:38 PM »

This may not be your style but here's what I'm doing:

Biodegradable bamboo plates!!!!

http://bambuhome.com/products/veneerware/

Look them up.  They look classier than paper or plastic plates,but are way less expensive than buying real dishes.  I'm having an earthy, barefoot, mountain wedding, so it fits with the mood, but I think they would look nice in a more formal setting too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i_am_138
Sew Vicious

Sew Vicious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008 06:24:54 PM »

Oh most definitely! We ended up using super upscale plastic ware as our venue decided at the last minute they wouldn't let glassware inside, but originally(and I still have 50 pieces) we were buying all of our china.
I will explain....I really wanted zebra rimmed plates. So I went to the dollar store and found big white plates for two for $1 and bought 25 sets. I painted each with a thin wave of zebra print and was going to put our monogram in the center. Well, we ended up not using them, but I would highly recommend this. If you have the time to make the dinnerware "you" and crafty(like I did) I think it is well worth it, plus it is far cheaper then renting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

green_olives
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008 05:25:04 PM »

Look them up.  They look classier than paper or plastic plates,but are way less expensive than buying real dishes.  I'm having an earthy, barefoot, mountain wedding, so it fits with the mood, but I think they would look nice in a more formal setting too.

i've been thinking about the dinnerware issue as well. i checked these out and they look really cool! the closest place that sells them around me is a few hours away so if you could tell me what the cost is and how many come in a package so i don't have to drive just to find out that would be awesome! thanks for suggesting these  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008 04:40:28 PM »

I saw a post somewhere (maybe on here or offbeatbride?) where they bought random china from thrift stores and let people take them home after the ceremony. I know that my thrift stores sell plates for  10-50 cents so that would be a pretty cheap option if it fit in with your vibe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
MavenOfFunkMutation
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008 03:53:12 PM »

i've been thinking about the dinnerware issue as well. i checked these out and they look really cool! the closest place that sells them around me is a few hours away so if you could tell me what the cost is and how many come in a package so i don't have to drive just to find out that would be awesome! thanks for suggesting these  Smiley

The best place to buy them is greenfeet.com.   You get a better deal than trying to buy them in a small boutique type store.   

http://www.greenfeet.com/bambu.asp?Cc=BAMBU%5FVENEERWAR&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=&WT.svl=itemname
Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Stabilize Node Part 1/2 - Shake 4.1
How to Use the Stabilize Node Part 2/2 - Shake 4.1
How to Create Advanced Color Keying Part 1/2 - Apple Color
How to Create Advanced Color Keying Part 2/2 - Apple Color
How to Use Custom Shapes Part 1/2 - Apple Color
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...