A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday November 14, 2008  (Read 4676 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caedara
« on: November 14, 2008 03:51:25 AM »

Happy Fiber Friday!  Cheesy

Hope you all had nice week with some quality spinning time  Wink
Here are my latest yarns:
Fairytale - 94 yards, handdyed Teeswater locks, just fluffed up and corespun

Illusion - 211 yards - handdyed Falkland wool plied with novelty thread and glassbeads

Pippy - 350 yards, self-striping, handdyed Falkland, Merino and Corriedale wool.

80's - 278 yards, self-striping, handdyed Falkland wool,

Goblin - 100 yards, handdyed Falkland wool and handfelted Merino beads

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmpknpunk
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008 05:45:02 AM »

Great Yarns! I just love all of your work (batts too!)

Here are mine for the week:

Bollywood - Worsted Weight, 116 yards Fiber from Loop October Baby Cake Club

Swirling Seas - Heavy Worsted with Bulky Bits, 100 yards + 63 Yards Corespun with Fiber Batts from Yarn Zombie

Sunshine in the Garden - Thick and Thin 109 yards + 105 yards 100% Merino dyed by me in my colorway by the same name

Men will be Boys - SW Merino Approx 200 yards, I plan to knit my first pair of (short) socks with this!

That's all for me this week, the other 3 skeins I didn't get to setting the twist until last night so they are still wet and will have to wait until next week. Can't wait to see what everyone else has been up to!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caedara
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008 05:55:12 AM »

Thanks! I love your Bollywood and Sunshine in the garden yarns. Gorgeous rich colours...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008 06:00:15 AM »

I lurve Goblin, Swirling Seas & Men will be Boys!!

Please post pics of the sock from Men will be Boys.

Alpaca & wool (natural colored)

and the "slippers" made for my DH.  He will be using these over his socks when he is water trapping (hip waders don't give any warmth in this cold northern waters)

Need to spin more of this ... it wants to be mittens

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
jukeboxheroine
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008 06:37:33 AM »

I think these are pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008 07:33:05 AM »

everyone's stuff looks amazing. This is really the first time I've gotten a chance to get my stuff up. I've been spinning a lot lately. Kinda picture plump, but I am a photo major so it's just how I roll.

all my skeins for this week, and my assistant, Harvey.

I can't decide weither I wanna call this one lagoon, or kiss the girl, from the little mermaid when they are in the lagoon. 88.5 yds, plied with thread.

This one is called 'Jester' and it's my favorite so far. I wanna just wear it around my neck like a huge necklace. 33 yds, navajo plied

'My little pony' 21 yds, navajo plied

I guess I just re-named this one to 'Harvey's Favorite', you'll see why. 25.5 yds

busted....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008 07:47:23 AM »

I have a cat like that!  I mean, he'll quickly claim any wool I have laying around as his!

silly cat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008 07:52:21 AM »

Harvey has the cutest face! I love Bollywood, Fairytale, and Swirling seas. Great job everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008 08:09:53 AM »

Good morning and happy Fiber Friday to all!

I'm totally grooving on Sunshine in the Garden!

I've got a few colorful ones to share today...

Thalia  This is the second yarn in my scrappy Muses series, named after the muse of comedy.  It's 100% merino, 101 yards, bulky.

Clio  Third in the series, named for the muse of history.  100% merino, 187 yards, heavy worsted.

Allegro  Not in the series!   Wink  Merino, soysilk, and sparkle, from handcarded rolags.  I think there is about 170 yards in two skeins; thick/thin singles yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
eternalsunshine
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008 08:13:49 AM »

My very first fiber friday!!!! I just started spinning this week so here is everything I spun (that was worth showing) ion chronological order:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/deathcabber22/IMG_5748.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/deathcabber22/IMG_5743.jpg

and an actual scarf from my handspun! sorry there are no before pics, it was pretty messy Sad

Now that I can spin ok, I need to figure out how to keep my skeins from turning into a coiley mess when I take them off the niddy noddy and set the twist Sad See below:

this one is after setting the twist...

directly off the niddy noddy...
help???

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 10:01:04 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pink Hickey
Pheonix Princess

I sew in high heels...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008 08:14:56 AM »

Great stuff everyone!

Callmeflower9- call it kiss the girl, for sure! I think most people will get it. I got it instantly. Or you could call it Scuttle. Wink

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry Potter will be in my heart forever.
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008 08:23:08 AM »

eternalsunshine, make sure to tie your skein before setting the twist, so it doesn't get too tangly while it's soaking.  Just pick four spots in the skein and tie scrap yarn in a figure eight in each spot.  Also, after the skein has been soaking for 15 minutes or so, when you pull it out, squeeze all the water out.  Then place your thumbs at either end of the loop and give it a good snap.  This will let the twist even itself out over the skein.  Some people weight their skeins while they're drying, too, which pulls the yarn straighter but temporarily removes some of the elasticity (the yarn will curl back if it gets wet again).  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008 08:25:02 AM »

eternalsunshine,
2 things I see with the niddy noddy and removing the skien.

First, the arms of your niddy should be at right angles to each other and Second, you need to tie your skeins in 4-8 places!

See the picture below

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008 08:26:29 AM »

everything is lovely as usual! I love the colors in Pippy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
LizzieMcGuire

loves knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008 09:53:44 AM »

I love fiber fridays in general but this week the yarns are especially lovely in my opinion!  Grin
Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008 10:12:46 AM »

so I finally got a wheel, and to my dismay, I can't get it to work. It either spins the fiber and does not wind the bobin or viece versa.  So I went back to my trusty drop spipndle and came up with this:
i'm calling it latte, simply because I dyed it with coffee!

And I also tried my hand at dyeing rovings and got this:
swamp (I need to get crackalackin' on cleaning some light brown wool I was given for free and then just spin the 2 together)

and this:
*insert name here*  ( i don't know what to call this one, any sugestions?) Will be spun up with a bit of white, hopefully on my wheel.

sorry I had to use flickr, I can't figure out how to get my pictures .2mb smaller  Sad ...

Again, Everyones work is stunning!  Well done!
 Eternal sunshine, those are some nice first yarns on a wheel!  well done! hopefully mine looks that good Cheesy
 Nicolassa, stunnign as usual, I aspire to make such gorgoeus yarn!
 callmeflower9, I love your cat!  And your yarn!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 10:02:56 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008 10:41:17 AM »

Eternalsunshine - if you're a visual learner like me this may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4v4lM0oozc Her videos are great!

Gorgeous work as usual everyone! Also, I wish I had an adorable helper like Harvey...too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grayling40
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008 11:17:37 AM »

Lots of fun colors and variety today! I escpecially love "Fairytale," "Sunshine in the Garden," and "Allegro!"

Just one for me this week. The dye job didn't exactly go as planned (does it ever??) but I still like it. Guess I'll have to try again at what I was aiming for in the first place.

"Ashley" - 4 ounces, 279 yards, alpaca/merino/tussah silk blend (super soft!!)

And another scarf update with my handspun...

Have a great weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saule - Design That Shines
http://sauleshine.etsy.com
.:dollface:.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008 11:46:10 AM »

yay! i <3 fiber friday!!! and i actually have pics to post this week!

none of them have names...

the one at the back is from a fiber swap... a few months ago, in super coils... all different fibers. i LOVE the colors

the middle one is seawool (70% merino 30% seacell) (2ply)

the front one is llama! (2ply)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
geekycraftgrl
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008 11:53:59 AM »

just one for me this week.
Hand dyed BFL. I got the fibre from Hipknits at the knitting and stitching show in october.
Navajo plied. Don't know the yardage yet as i have more to spin.

happy fibre friday Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSleepyKnitter
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008 03:13:01 PM »

I love Fiber Friday! Yummy yarns. Especially loved Bollywood this time, such nice, rich reds. But I always wonder what people actually knit or crochet with these super textured, super colorful yarns on Fiber Fridays. It was nice to see a couple scarves tonight -- I would love to see more completed projects with homespun yarn to see what can be done with such different textures and wild, wild colors.

You are all brilliant spinners.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adopting second "special needs" international baby, wanting cloth diapers to help cut expenses, will ===SWAP for cloth diapers===.
myklia
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008 03:39:26 PM »

I hate the fact I can only start looking at things at the end of the workday.  My work computer doesn't like all the pictures and takes forever to load.

I too love bollywood.

As for finished projects, I haven't made much yardage yet, so it is difficult to have finished objects.  Here is one from my blue silk I spun some time ago.

And this from yarn Jazzturtle spun and posted on Fiber Friday previously:

I ordered some stunning roving today on etsy from FiberOptic that I will be spinning up for a swap partner.  That means it will be a while before I'll post it. Sad  I can't wait to get started though. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eat_agar
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008 03:45:45 PM »

Hey! Hope everybody's week was good, the yarns are lovely as always! Eternalsunshine, I think the green yarn is awesome, you'll be spinning up a storm in no time!
Here are a few of mine from this week:
Antoinette: flax, hemp, cotswold, shetland and bamboo

Skinny Sweets: angora, organic cotton, soy silk, mohair, thrown silk, tunis, shetland and cotswold (phew!)

Happy Friday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirastorm
storms of creativity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008 03:48:46 PM »

oh everyones stuff is awesome! i love the muses, and summer in the garden.

so these are my 3rd, 4th and 5th spins respectively.

i may be insane, just to warn you all.

my 3rd spin actually took three attempts before i could get it to 'work' for me.

its a mohair/alpaca mix and i had less than 1/4 an oz of fiber.  once i got it on the spindle, it worked up amazingly fast and easily.  i'm really proud of the spin, its pretty much the same size of yarn. i think i maybe have 8 meters of yarn. i'm planning on doing a brooch with it, and i called it 'cool beans'

my 4th spin in where the insanity comes it. last fiber friday there was a grogeous yarn with felted beads spun in. and i thought it looked so cool. and i had this tiny bunch of alpaca and mohair fiber that looked like tree colors.  so i thought i should spin in some leaves, i made long triangle shapes out of cranberry felt and spun them in.

]

my 5th spin took the felt triangles and just ran with it.  lilac roving and purple triangles. i'm going to make a square for my daughters afghan with it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

living with an inferno doesn't mean it has to swallow you whole, you just have to know when to feed the flames.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=38663
girlosun_9
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008 05:01:19 PM »

This is my first fiber friday although I would have had the first one to post last friday if I had remembered Smiley

This first one was spun on a drop spindle and it is roving that I received in a swap with maremare.  There is about 200 yds here.
Blues

My next is my first spun on a wheel (brown) along with my first that my 4 year old spun with me (fiber from a swap with lapoli).  I loved this one so much that it was spun Tuesday morning, plied Tuesday night, and crocheted Wednesday morning (and I work all day if that tells you even more how much I loved it  Grin ).  Pictures of the neckwarmer once it is done drying.
The Twist

This one is super super super soft.  It is alpaca and has been pllied with thread.  The alpace fiber is from a farm we visited this last summer that is about 20 miles from my house.
Chocolate on My Brain

Oops, this one is actually my first on the wheel.  The brown above was my second and the alpaca above was my third.  Very irregular but it has already made its way in to a very forgiving hat.  Fiber from lapoli.
Merry and Bright

And the last that I have a picture of due to rain for the last two days is much more regular/consistent.  There is about 125 yds and the fiber is from lapoli (who really really spoiled me in a swap).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
the noodle princess

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008 05:29:26 PM »

Woot! I have 2 new ones this week!

Synchronized Swim, it's mohair locks and lots of stuff carded together(but no sparkles!) and candy striped with brown cotton.

and Sailor's Delight from my hand-dyed BFL roving. It's soo soft and smooth.

and this is from a while ago but i just took better photos -Rainbow Salmon, BFL again:

Happy FF  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
eternalsunshine
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008 06:06:49 PM »

Thanks so much to everyone for the helpful info!!! I think I will be on a better track next time. The youtube video was a great help Cheesy

Also, I too think that Sunshine in the Garden was my fave this week Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008 06:10:48 PM »

Here is my contribution for this week (its been awhile)  Its merino roving from etsy seller knitfrontandback called swamp thing

And here is a FO from my yarn from a previous week.  I'm in love with this scarf pattern.  I suspect I'll be making more of them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008 06:57:09 PM »

Belladuna,

I think you should call the un-named yarn Blue Raspberry Lime Slurpie - looks like the slurpies my kids make at the 7-11.

I love it, as well as all the others today and every day!

Must keep sewing to get rid of some fabric to bring in the roving...
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008 08:33:22 PM »

Well I think this might be my first time posting ....

My first Navajo Ply ..

and a small skein of some great yellow Romney yarn I got as a sample

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
wanderingskopos
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008 03:57:07 AM »

Gorgeous yarns, as always! I love seeing the finished knits as well, especially for the wild and colourful yarn  Grin

Belladune, you can change the size of your photos online, if your own computer doesn't have a program for that (you could also get Google's free Picasa). Photoshop has an online service for resizing & editing photos: https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html. Usually you can just save a new copy of the picture and then choose something like Scale image - the program Help should give you better instructions. Something like 300 to 500 pixels wide fits on web pages and the file size goes down too.

Haven't posted anything in a while, but I have spun some. First, some blue Estonian wool spun on a wheel, 2-ply laceweight, 52 g, ca. 265 m. I love the colour, but the picture doesn't do it justice: natural light is getting really scarce for my phone camera. Flash would be worse:

Then, white Finnsheep spun on the same wheel, 2-ply laceweight, 31g, ca. 185 m. I got my first pair of hand cards and made some rolags for the last bit of this, and I love the technique. Unfortunately, I had trouble with tension when plying and was too tired to actually solve them, so as a result this skein is half overplied and half underplied. Urgh.

Finally, I tried some brown Finnsheep to practice one-handed long draw. As you can guess, it came out thick and thin - I noticed that the better rolags you make, the easier it is to do! I still have some brown left, so I'll practice more. Fun!

By the way, the brown was a part of the Best. Birthday. Present. Ever. from my middle little sister, who gave me a whole bag of carded wool in different colours, all Finnsheep, I presume, as she got it from a farmers' market. Isn't she great? Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008 09:10:37 AM by wanderingskopos - Reason: Image trouble. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AudreyJ84
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008 07:17:19 AM »

Once again, in LOVE with all the beautiful yarns!  Can't pick a favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008 07:59:24 AM »

Nothing to share this week but I am in love with !00% of all the yarns!  And I am happy to see more newbies (like moi) coming into the spinning obsession Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008 08:48:17 AM »

thank you Wanderingskopos, I will have to give that site a try. 
also thank you Cealy, Blue rasperry Lime Slurpie is a great name for that one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the noodle princess

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008 10:23:20 AM »

woah, 2-ply laceweight. I can't imagine doing that, i have too little patience for fine yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikolelily
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008 12:52:45 PM »

you all made my weekend, as i wasnt able to even touch my wheel this week, i have now spun some beauties by proxy! not as satisfying, but still great on the eyes! i lovelovelove rainbow salmon! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think for yourself, question authority.
wanderingskopos
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008 02:09:49 PM »

noodle princess, the laceweight just came out that way, I swear  Cheesy I'm still learning to spin, and there were a few points when I thought the roving would never end... Now that I've started playing with with long draw, I'm getting thicker singles again - long draw is so fast compared to the other way! And fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008 01:24:25 AM »

Gorgeous yarns, my fave is bollywood and I also love Sunshine in the garden! Grayling, that scarf is coming along nicely now!

Noodle princess, I am exactly the same, thin yarn really push my patience, I prefer spinning the chunky ones by far. Cheesy

Perhaps one day I will get around to uploading my yarns to ff again, I have missed it so many times at the moment...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BBQ Potato Chips Recipe
Lighter Three-Cheese Mac
Chocolate Stout Cake Recipe
Green Eggs and Ham Omelet
Chicken Cassoulet with Fennel and Bacon Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...