A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,737
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thanksgiving potluck - ideas?  (Read 705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyZedral
« on: November 14, 2008 12:17:19 AM »

Our department is having a Thanksgiving dinner for the teachers in the ELC (English Language Center), exchange students, and pretty much anyone who wants to come.  The turkeys are being provided and we've been asked to bring another dish to share.  I don't know exactly how many people are going to be there, but I don't think I need to make a huge quantity of anything.  However, I'm having some trouble thinking of ideas.  There are some things that I just can't find in Istanbul.  I've seen no cranberries, I've seen no canned pumpkin, there might be cornmeal around here somewhere but I don't know.  Help!  I might be able to get my mom's chestnut stuffing recipe, and chestnuts are plentiful, but I don't know what else to take. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Oh, and I should stay away from things that call for pork.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008 11:36:45 AM »

I'm having the same problems for Thanksgiving.  I would look for cranberries in the frozen area of the grocery store.  Pumpkin I would guess you could get at the open air market if not at the grocery and make your own puree.  I think you won't have a problem with the corn meal.  I'm not sure but I think it is similar to Polenta.
You could always make a pie.  Apple, cherry or pecan. (Nothin' like good ole' American Apple Pie)   Hope this helps some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008 12:08:52 PM »

How about potatoes?  Or yams?  Squash can be cooked up in a number of ways, and turnips can be mashed, too.  Green bean casserole is traditional, and I know our table is always wanting more veggies.  Or if you wanted sweets, how about ginger cookies?  There are lots of options.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008 12:15:18 PM »

Stuffing would just require bread, broth, and seasonings. Can you get other kinds of squash? You can make pumpkin-ish pie with several types. Sweet potato pie would work if you can get those. Scalloped corn or chicken & noodles are popular.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Cory Barton

sea urchin at the tide pools

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008 05:48:06 PM »

like batgirl said, sweet potato pie would be good. It tastes pretty similar to pumpkin pie, not the same, but if you cant get pumpkins, it would work as a substitute pie

Apple would be great though too =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the culture that tolerates shottyness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity and ignores excellence in plumbing because it is a humble activity. This is their fate. Neither their pipes nor its theories will hold water."
Avian Flight
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008 11:55:08 PM »

You can bake some fresh bread or dinner rolls? How about salad with homemade dressing? Green bean casserole? though you might not have the fried onions. cheesecake?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008 09:15:09 AM »

I'd think you might have access to yams - so yeah - sweet potato or squash pie are great ideas.  How about bean pie?  Haha - they used to sell those on the street corners when I lived in Washington DC.  Tasty - and something with accessable ingredients.
  Any chance of doing macaroni and cheese?  That's one of the things I'm bringing this year!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
champoo
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008 04:32:55 PM »

we always have chestnuts and brussel sprouts every thanksgiving.  peel the chestnuts (i.e. cut an x in them, drop them in boiling water for about 5, take out when the x curves up a bit, peel).  saute butter, 4 shallots, and chestnuts til brown (10 min) add in stemmed and halved brussel sprouts, add in chicken stock to cover and a sprig of thyme.  boil, reduce heat, cover for about 15.  oh, add a bay leaf too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008 02:22:19 PM »

Personally I always bring a lower calorie veggie dish to Thanksgiving dinners/potlucks because I find that there are always 10 million starches (stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread, etc).  I just feel less sluggish if I don't carbo overload.

If you have greens (I used bok choy but other greens would likely work with an altered cooking time), I made this recipe & it was fantastic (minus the 5 spice powder & maybe add some garlic powder instead):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chinese-Broccoli-242053

If you're looking for something fancier, this is also a great soup recipe (and vegetarian, although with some rice):

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/7295

Brussel sprouts are also great & easy to cook by steaming & maybe adding some broth & chopped onion for some extra flavor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cory Barton

sea urchin at the tide pools

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008 12:41:51 PM »

we always have chestnuts and brussel sprouts every thanksgiving.  peel the chestnuts (i.e. cut an x in them, drop them in boiling water for about 5, take out when the x curves up a bit, peel).  saute butter, 4 shallots, and chestnuts til brown (10 min) add in stemmed and halved brussel sprouts, add in chicken stock to cover and a sprig of thyme.  boil, reduce heat, cover for about 15.  oh, add a bay leaf too. 

chestnuts i think are much more of a northeastern tradition. over here in cali, i dont even know anyone who eats chestnuts, hah

i read somewhere chestnuts are traditional in northeast stuffing, cranberries in southeastern stuffing, oysters in northwest, and fresh veggies in cali

=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For the culture that tolerates shottyness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity and ignores excellence in plumbing because it is a humble activity. This is their fate. Neither their pipes nor its theories will hold water."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing Your First Lens for a DSLR Camera
How to Keep Your Batteries Powered in Your Photo Shoots
Photo Exhibition by Torkil Gudnason
DSLR Camera Basics
Making a Laptop Holder for a Photography Tripod
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...