A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Diy Fall Wedding *very pic heavy*  (Read 25733 times)
Tags for this thread: favors , fall  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2008 08:17:43 PM »

Our DIY Wedding
*First let me warn you that this is a bit long & has lots of pics but hope it's worth the read*
I've posted bits and pieces along the way, but wanted to update the finished items and share how it all came together. A combination of crafty folks helped to make our fall wedding very diy.

The Invitations
Sorry, no pics of these. We need to actually print one out for our wedding scrapbook yet. Designed by me & my husband...(lol I'm still getting used to that) Brian and printed out on our home printer. We used an invitation kit from Michaels (with discount coupon from our friend Jess) & solid colored card stock for post card reply cards. Brian layed everything out in Word and I punched holes and tied chocolate ribbon accents.

Cake Toppers

Not long before Bri proposed the billboard of Mr. Boh proposing to the Utz Lady for Smyth Jewelers was seen around Baltimore, reading "Where Baltimore Gets Engaged." While planning the wedding and throwing ideas around, I said to Brian that we should have the Utz Lady & Natty Boh Guy as our cake toppers, I was half joking when I said it, but the more we thought about it, it fit us with me, living in Hanover, PA (home of Utz Chips) for a bit and Brian being from Baltimore. Made by my crafty sister Alicia. Brian & I mocked up some images of the Natty Boh Guy & the Utz Lady and Alicia took it from there.

Card Basket Box

Brian's mom decorated the basket for us and we finished it off with a gift wrapped box for envelopes at the gift table.

Toasting Glasses

Purchased at the Maryland Rennasance festival from Willow Wind Art Studio, but still handcrafted, each piece crystal is cut using a series of grinding stones which spin on a lathe, no stencils were used.

The Favors

Rather then going with the usual plain boring wedding favors, we decided to do something a little more fun and who doesn't like crab chips? Not to leave Mr. Boh out we also added Natty Boh bottle caps w/ the puzzles on the bottom and put the solutions in a booklet on the gift table.

Gifts for the Mom's

Not 100% crafty, but each mom had expressed to me seperatly that she wished her dad was still around to see us get married. That stuck with me while planning the wedding and made the suggestion to Brian that we should come up with a gift for the moms different from the traditional corsage that incorporated photos of their dads. So, after a trip to Michaels, we picked up some lockets and using his photoshop skills, Brian resized and printed out the pics on photo paper.

Mala

Used for the handbinding portion of the wedding ceremony, I purchased the prayer beads from Etsy seller Sticks and Stones. She included an extra large skull bead that we decided needed to be added to the mala. So a trip to AC Moore for string and we took apart the existing mala and restrung it as well as added a larger tassel.

Groomsman Ties

Since I was making the bridesmaids dresses, we thought it would be nice if the ties of the groomsmen matched. I had the worst trouble tracking down exactly what sort of fabric is used to interface a tie. I ended up just settling for some designer ties picked up from the goodwill, which I then swiped the interfacing from. Made my own pattern by disecting an existing tie.

Groomsman & Groom Pocket Squares

Of course the ties had to have a matching pocket square. Though I didn't make Brian's tie, I did make him a pocket square out of chocolate brown satin that was used for my dresses sash. Also not pictured, the wine colored pocket square I made for Bri's dad.

Bridesmaid Dresses

I've always know that I'd make my wedding dress, but the bridesmaids, well I wasn't so certain. Let's face it even though they say, "oh you can wear that again" really a bridesmaid dress typically gets worn once. Not wanting my bridesmaids to spend a fortune on a dress that would eventually just sit in their closet, I decided to make the dresses. With JoAnn discount coupons I was able to cut dress costs down to $30 each. Hours of ironing and sewing later, I had 4 dresses complete, 2 in one style & 2 in another. Made from Orange Satin w/ Chocolate Brown Satin Sashes

Bridesmaid Bouquets

Artificial Ivory Sunflowers from JoAnn wrapped in chocolate satin ribbon from AC Moore

Bridesmaid Jewelry

With all the symbolic meanings behind the Lotus flower, (strength, good luck, long life, honor and respect among others), we chose the Lotus flower for the girl's jewelry. I purchased the Copper Lotus flower charms and turned them into earrings with by making copper earwires and chocolate brown ribbon necklaces.

My Fabric Curlers

My hair thick slightly wavy hair doesn't hold curl well at all, but I wanted my hair curly for the wedding. After seeing a post on craftster http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=235779.0 for these fabric rollers, I decided to give them a shot. I put them in with damp hair, slept in them and took them out the next day. Some hair spray and a touch up or 2 with the curling iron was all that was needed. I'm really happy with how it turned out and my hair stayed curly through the ceremony and even the reception.

My Jewelry

Not exactly 100% diy here, more of a reconstruction, but wanted to include it anyway. The pearls were borrowed from my mom to wear. I added a charm that I had made from a pressed penny that Brian made for me in one of those machines on a trip we took while we were dating. For the earrings, I took 2 pearls off of my mom's necklace and made drop pearl earrings from them so they would match.

My Bouquet

Made from artificial Orange Sunflowers with a single Ivory Sunflower in the middle and wrapped with Chocolate Brown Satin Ribbon.

My Veil

Ivory Organza from JoAnn trimmed with a pearl lace with Ivory Sunflower barrette attachment.

My Wedding Dress[/u]

Though it looks like I'm a Bridezilla on the attack in this pic, taken by my brother-in-law Rob, it's the best one I have at the moment that shows off the dress itself. Tea Length Ivory Matte Satin w/ Chocolate Brown Satin Sash. I added 3 Organza & Pearl flowers to the center bodice of the dress as well. Believe it or not, in the end, my ensemble (dress, veil, & shoes) cost under $50 to make, gotta love 40% off coupons from JoAnn &
clearance shoes from Payless!

The Bridal Party
Ok, one last pic, just so you can see how it all came together, a group shot Smiley

Comments & questions welcomed  Grin
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008 08:32:08 PM by dayzi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008 10:48:12 PM »

wow, everything looks great and you look gorgeous! I saw your post previously about the bridesmaid dresses, and I'll say it again here - they rock! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
stewd_arts
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008 04:51:23 AM »

I love the color scheme you chose, and I love the bridesmaid dresses. I think I might have to steal your sunflower bouquet idea- those are my very favorite flowers! Your dress was beautiful, and I loved the cake toppers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."
    Edvard Munch
BadWolf

cassettetape--->BadWolf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008 07:15:59 AM »

Beautiful wedding! You did an AWESOME job with the dresses and your hair looks great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My username has changed from cassettetape to BadWolf.

"Does this shirt make me look like a party balloon?"-Mike

http://pinterest.com/marquesajen
LinzSerena
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008 08:22:25 AM »

Being originally from PA (not far from Hanover actually!) and now in Baltimore... i TOTALLY dig the Boh & Utz lady! (I guess I'm not the only one that finds that billboard to be so romantic!). And crab chip favors? What a great & inexpensive idea! (and who doesn't love Utz Crab Chips??)
Everything turned out beautifully! The dresses are amazing - definitely worth your hard work!
Beautiful wedding! Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Lindsey
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Be open to learning new lessons even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday."
- Ellen Degeneres
---------------------------------------------
"All great achievements require time" ~Maya Angelou
kneser
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008 06:14:22 AM »

Holy Cow!  That is amazing.  All of the DIY crafts look fantastic, especially your dress.  Good job!  I would like a DIY craft for my bridesmaid gift, but I haven't thought of one yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heyitzme37
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009 11:37:58 AM »

I love your dress!  It looks simple but yet elegant.  I'm getting married in July 09 in a refurbished barn so I need something simple.  What pattern did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009 02:29:37 PM »

For My dress, I used New Look 6773 view I+K with some modifications to the skirt length.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quills
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009 08:21:07 AM »

BEE-U-TIFUL! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that your groomsmen wore chocolate brown tuxes. Such a lovely touch. I mean, I have seen plenty of fall weddings where "fall colors" were used, but the men always wear black tuxes. KUDOS for you for stepping outside the box and putting the lid back on it! You jewelry is beautiful and I love the simplicty and elegance of  your wedding gown ensemble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iwshiwasaaron
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009 07:11:20 AM »

Aww cute! I'm from Baltimore myself and I looooooooooved that billboard. Everything seems to have turned out beautiful! If you don't mind me asking, where was the wedding held?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade French Fries Recipe
How To Cook Grilled Chicken
How to Make Chicken Nuggets
How to Make Organic Burgers
Grilled Steak Salad with Honey Shallot Raspberry Vinaigrette
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...