A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: less than perfect gifts?  (Read 904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ebeth
« on: November 13, 2008 09:17:31 AM »

i'm curious about what you all do when a project that is intended to be a gift turns out less than perfect? i have only been sewing for 2 years...and sometimes things turn out less than perfect (lining shrunk when iron - i tiny bit of bunching... top stitching not quite straight/even) .... but money only affords to purchase supplies once....so its slightly imperfect or no gift....

my mom and husband says give it anyway...i feel a little bad....

what do you all do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i do personal swaps...  check out my admired objects www.wists.com/ebeth
Ashling
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008 09:33:32 AM »

It depends on the imperfection.  I notice things wrong with my own crafts that other people don't even see.  Keep in mind that most things one buys in a store will have minor flaws as well.  If both your husband and your mother think it's fine, it probably is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008 11:33:04 AM »

If you have the chance, put the gift away for a couple of weeks and look at it again with a fresh eye.
I always hate everything I make and think it's awful until I have a chance to decompress a bit and get less emotionally involved with it.  Half the time, I can't even remember what I thought was so horrible, and the other half, the things I dislike are so insignificant that I feel silly for being upset about them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009 04:59:38 PM »

I just bought a machine last Feb and it took me 3 months to complete my first collage, learning more and more about the machine.

I wasn't that thrilled, but after making ALL my gifts this year, (out of work) I know all of them were not perfect and everyone that received one loved it.

Here is my flikr blog pics page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabricgraphics/

Scroll down to all we are saying, yes the rest are there too, some incomplete ones as well, but the thought behind the gifs, especially with family, is the kickr. I made a nice throw for mom and bro, but the pics are not up there i think.

None of these are perfect, and the purses were all given to co-workers at my last temp job. I did not hear that anyone hated anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009 11:51:06 AM »

People will almost always appreciate a handmade gift, and understand the imperfections that come along with it. (And if you're giving something to your mother, well - she's your mother, she endured all those years of sticky glitter cards and painted pasta necklaces. It's her JOB to love the stuff you make [grin])
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009 07:57:33 AM »

In my experience, it depends on who you're giving it to...
Some people really love and appreciate hand made stuff, and they won't care at all about uneven stitching...they may even love it, because it shows that it really is hand made.
Other people only like store bought brand name stuff, and they wouldn't like your hand made item even if it was totally perfect.

So, I generally give my imperfect hand made stuff to everyone, and just ignore the stupid looks from the people who like store bought stuff.  They are not cool anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Glowormglo
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009 01:27:50 PM »

Hey Sweetie,
It's given from your Heart, who cares if it's imperfect! You're too hard on yourself, just give them in good faith, remember It's the thought that matters.
Glowormglo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisadee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009 08:03:25 PM »

I'm making a baby quilt for a friend and as I was cutting over the weekend I'm thinking, god, I should have done this or done that in the design, ugh such-and-such would've looked better. And I didn't even start a stitch.  Tongue I figure it will be so unique and from the heart that only a monstrous jerk would sneer at it. Even the imperfections that bug you are just things to learn next time, but no one expects everything to be perfect. And they never see the guts of it up close like you do. My first quilt was a wedding gift and I cringe now at the schizophrenic binding, but the couple was touched at the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyFavoriteColorIsGreen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009 10:40:43 PM »

if you can, ask someone else. someone you know will be totally honest with you.
i also agree with the person who said put it away for a little while and then take it back out and see how you feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolate00
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009 05:34:19 PM »

I usually just try to put it around the house if it is not very noticeable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 27/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 32/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 29/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 30/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 20/35
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...