A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recon. sweater socks - sewn, not knitted ***With Tutorial***  (Read 3385 times)
Tags for this thread: socks , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sedrasmom
« on: November 12, 2008 10:15:13 PM »

I bought a few thrift store wool/blend sweaters to make reconstructed sweater mittens, then realized I had enough mittens, what I really needed was warm socks! I couldn't find a pattern or tutorial so I came up with my own. Turns out it's super easy, I can whip up a pair of these in about 10 minutes. So since winter's fast approaching, I thought I'd share.

Here's the sweater I'm starting with. This one's 100% wool but you could use pretty much any sweater that's a thin-to-medium thickness with some stretch to it.

Each sweater can yield two pairs of socks for me. I wear size 9 shoes. The sleeves can be used to make one pair, and I cut along the side seams like this to make the other. The strip I cut here is about 3.5 to 4 inches wide and about 13 inches long, but there's a lot of room for variation, these measurements do not have to be exact. The strip I cut is curved at the end opposite the ribbing of the sleeve or bottom of the sweater because this end will become the toe of the sock.

The other part to cut out is a set of two football shapes, about 2.5 to 3 inches at the tallest and almost as wide as the body piece of the sock. I use this part of the sweater to cut these pieces because then there's a bigger piece left in the middle of the sweater that could be used to make other things.

Lay the sock body strips out 2-ply and cut each across just one ply from the unfinished edge to the side seam. I make this cut about 8 inches from the toe. Sometimes with stretchier sweater fabric I later have to cut some off the toe end to make it shorter but it's better that they come out too big rather than too small. In this picture, the toe part of the sock is spread open to show where the cut is. Below that, the piece is folded over still.

Sewing the football shaped piece into the slit you make is what constructs the heal. Then all you have to do is sew the unfinished seams starting at the ribbed edge to make sure they match up, and around the toe side to where the sweater's already sewn together from the pre-existing side seam.

That's all there is to it. Turn it right-side out and try it on!

I'm saving all the scraps to stuff a pillow because for the past few years I've wanted a wool bed pillow but I haven't had the money. My kitty likes the scraps too.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008 05:01:59 AM by sedrasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
mafukli
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008 10:56:52 PM »

This is awesome! Thanks for the tutorial! I was just putting my feet in front of the heater cause regular ones dont keep them warm. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008 10:58:51 PM »

Awesome!! Thanks for the tute. I would not have thought of this and I have cold feet but hate wearing white socks around the house. Much quicker than knitting a pair (because I suck at knitting).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
EvilRachel
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008 11:19:41 PM »

What a smart idea!!!  And the rest of the sweater could be used for so many things too...  Thank you for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008 04:55:41 AM »

It's brilliant!  I'll have to put this on my very long list of things to try!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
sedrasmom
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008 04:57:05 AM »

What a smart idea!!!  And the rest of the sweater could be used for so many things too...  Thank you for the tute!!

I forgot to post the pic of what I'm doing with the scraps - I added it now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008 06:34:35 AM »

this is such a neat-o idea, i'd like to try it too. i have one question though, can you wear them inside shoes or can you feel the seams? it's ok if they are just like around-the-house socks, i was just wondering. thanks!

oh, and one tip if you are making them just to wear around the house as slippers, you can keep the bottoms from being too slippery by painting little dots or designs on in puffy fabric paint. it works great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008 09:12:09 AM »

Brilliant idea. Can't wait to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
sedrasmom
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008 10:30:10 AM »

this is such a neat-o idea, i'd like to try it too. i have one question though, can you wear them inside shoes or can you feel the seams? it's ok if they are just like around-the-house socks, i was just wondering. thanks!

Though I can feel the seams a little bit, I do wear mine inside shoes, except for the extra-bulky ones, which I just wear to bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Simple Recipe for Making Soap
Soap Making Troubleshooting
How To Make Liquid Soap
Expansion Plans of the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento, California
How Quilting Can Help People in Need
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...